Joe Jimenez signs with Braves

Sports Guy

He got 3/26 and the Braves kept him from free agency. He was a guy that was on my radar but that’s a big number to pay. 

If that’s an indication of what good relievers will be getting this offseason, the Os may be shut out from that market.

https://www.batterypower.com/platform/amp/2023/11/2/23943228/atlanta-braves-sign-joe-jimenez-to-3-year-26-million-deal

Edited by Sports Guy

That does seem like an overpay, but Jimenez does have three good pitches and while he was a bit homer prone last year, he wasn't the two years before. Saying that, Jimenez is a solid 7th inning guy, but I agree with Sports guy, if this is where the market is going to be the Orioles are most likely going to have to trade for those impact relievers they need. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That does seem like an overpay, but Jimenez does have three good pitches and while he was a bit homer prone last year, he wasn't the two years before. Saying that, Jimenez is a solid 7th inning guy, but I agree with Sports guy, if this is where the market is going to be the Orioles are most likely going to have to trade for those impact relievers they need. 

48 homers in 320 career innings.   

If Wells is in the pen then I’m not so worried about the pen in the first half of the season.

Wells, Cano, Baumann, Webb, Baker, and Tate should be good enough to get us through the first half of the season as RH relievers.

Columbe, Perez, Hall, Irvin, Vespi, Zimmerman, and Akin, make up a pretty good LH relief group for the regular season. 

We’ll see some movement in waivers prior to the Rule 5 deadline and then possibly a rule 5 lotto ticket type arm. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Wells is in the pen then I’m not so worried about the pen in the first half of the season.

Wells, Cano, Baumann, Webb, Baker, and Tate should be good enough to get us through the first half of the season as RH relievers.

Columbe, Perez, Hall, Irvin, Vespi, Zimmerman, and Akin, make up a pretty good LH relief group for the regular season. 

We’ll see some movement in waivers prior to the Rule 5 deadline and then possibly a rule 5 lotto ticket type arm. 

Personally, I hope we move on from Baker permanently. And Tate will be a non-tender I think. Otherwise, agreed. 

The fact remains that the team needs to do something to replace Bautista, or at least add some kind of proven late-inning arm. They can't all be waiver claims, and I think Elias will get something done. He better, after missing at the deadline for a reliever. 

Another data point to comfort Tyler Wells and DL Hall if they are asked to be relievers.

It is interesting to watch Clubs with very high playoff odds build out staffs.     I think I think they consider their 5th best reliever to perhaps be a more important role than their 3rd best starter.

That's a pivot I'm curious to see if Elias takes in a redeployment of Lyles-Gibson money.   

Kimbrel's been mentioned, but David Robertson is also a 1-year vet closer who might be a good 2025 Felix bridge.