Elias: Os looking for a top half of the rotation starter and closer

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Are Stroman, Gray, and ERod in the top end?   That’s where I think he’s shopping if he goes FA.

I agree except for Gray.  Gray will cost a 2nd round pick.   It would take a lot for Elias to give up his 2nd rounder.

Stroman, Giolito  and ERod maybe vs a #3 on the trade market.  Not a Corbin Burnes. 

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree except for Gray.  Gray will cost a 2nd round pick.   It would take a lot for Elias to give up his 2nd rounder.

Stroman, Giolito  and ERod maybe vs a #3 on the trade market.  Not a Corbin Burnes. 

So, Elias is ok with trading ML ready prospects but doesn’t want to a second round pick?  That doesn’t make much sense.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, Elias is ok with trading ML ready prospects but doesn’t want to a second round pick?  That doesn’t make much sense.

Elias has minor leaguers that have matured to where they have to be promoted to the major leagues or be traded.    I think Elias will do that in the right deal.

Giving up a 2nd rounder effects the pipeline in the minors.   I don't think he wants to do that.

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Elias has minor leaguers that have matured to where they have to be promoted to the major leagues or be traded.    I think Elias will do that in the right deal.

Giving up a 2nd rounder effect the pipeline in the minors.   I don't think he wants to do that.

I don’t think he wants to give up a 2nd rounder but I don’t think it will stop him.  All things equal he’ll sign the pitcher with no pick attached but I don’t think the pick knocks Sonny Gray out of the picture.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Giving up a 2nd rounder effects the pipeline in the minors.   I don't think he wants to do that.

So this is true but fundamentally, you don’t worry about losing a second round pick that is far away and may never develop vs trading ML prospects.

The discussion should be about one thing and one thing only….how can we acquire the best pitcher possible? If it’s in a trade, fine. If it’s a signing, fine..even if that means losing a pick.

These are 2 different discussions. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

So this is true but fundamentally, you don’t worry about losing a second round pick that is far away and may never develop vs trading ML prospects.

The discussion should be about one thing and one thing only….how can we acquire the best pitcher possible? If it’s in a trade, fine. If it’s a signing, fine..even if that means losing a pick.

Not exactly.  It’s not about finding the best pitcher possible.  It’s about finding the best pitcher possible at the lowest cost possible.   They might pay for pretty good.  They won’t pay for best possible and probably won’t trade for best possible.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

There is much more going on than that.   How much the pitcher cost in dollars and prospects. For how many years?  The draft pick is part of the total cost. The pitcher's health.    The pitcher's age.   Is their decline expected.  

It's not just which is the best pitcher you can get.   

Just now, Too Tall said:

Have I missed something or don't we get an extra pick if Gunner wins Rockie of the Year? And wouldn't that somewhat mitigate loss of a second rounder? 

That pick and the competitive balance pick should make giving up a late round 2nd rounder a little less painful.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We will have like 3 top 40 picks.

We lose the worst of those picks if we sign a guy that has been given a QO

The competitive balance pick is not announced until around Dec 1st.  It could be after the 1st or 2nd round.   I expect it to be after the 2nd round but that is not a sure thing.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is much more going on than that.   How much the pitcher cost in dollars and prospects. For how many years?  The draft pick is part of the total cost. The pitcher's health.    The pitcher's age.   Is their decline expected.  

It's not just which is the best pitcher you can get.   

Yea it is because the best pitcher you can get has all of those things built in.

Obviously the Os aren’t signing the best pitcher available..that’s why I said “how do we acquire the best pitcher POSSIBLE”.

Possible is the key word..that is about the Os. The Os aren’t likely to give out more than a 3 year deal.

So, the question is, do we sign Gray (as an example) and lose a second rounder or trade for Cease and lose Cowser and Ortiz (or whoever)?

Both of those pitchers are possible acquisitions.  If the Os deem Cease to be the better acquisition despite the players lost, fine. If they deem it’s better to just lose a second rounder and sign gray, that’s fine too.

There shouldn’t be a consideration that we don’t lose a second rounder if Gray is deemed the best pitcher we possibly can get.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That pick and the competitive balance pick should make giving up a late round 2nd rounder a little less painful.

Try to tell Elias that giving up a 2nd round pick is not painful.  I doubt he would agree.  He is all about the draft and keeping the prospect pipeline flowing.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it is because the best pitcher you can get has all of those things built in.

Obviously the Os aren’t signing the best pitcher available..that’s why I said “how do we acquire the best pitcher POSSIBLE”.

Possible is the key word..that is about the Os. The Os aren’t likely to give out more than a 3 year deal.

So, the question is, do we sign Gray (as an example) and lose a second rounder or trade for Cease and lose Cowser and Ortiz (or whoever)?

Both of those pitchers are possible acquisitions.  If the Os deem Cease to be the better acquisition despite the players lost, fine. If they deem it’s better to just lose a second rounder and sign gray, that’s fine too.

There shouldn’t be a consideration that we don’t lose a second rounder if Gray is deemed the best pitcher we possibly can get.

There will be consideration about losing a 2nd round pick.   Whether he does it or not.