Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I have concern over all of these guys.  I hope they’re all great but some will fail.  I wouldn’t put Ortiz along with Wagner and Horvath.   I’m high on Horvath but chances are that he’s a better outfielder than infielder and he’s definitely not a SS.  Wagner is a 3B, maybe 2B, but he ain’t neither if he doesn’t put himself on the map with a big first half at Bowie.   

Yeah we've gotten a little spoiled around here. Most prospects, even those drafted in the first few rounds, don't have consequential MLB careers. 

40 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Yeah we've gotten a little spoiled around here. Most prospects, even those drafted in the first few rounds, don't have consequential MLB careers. 

A lot spoiled.

The Mayo and Basallo followups to Gunnar were amazing.     Adley and Holliday are what they are and you won't always have Peyton Manning, but even picking near last you sustainably have access to that kind of player.

Braylin Tavera could have an okay "I'll be ready for the Show at age 23" that would be fine, and it'll feel like a setback for Orioles Player Development.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Safelykept said:

When Mullins got hurt what if Santander Or Hays get traded? Hes league Minimum Probably wont Come here unless theirs playing time

I believe Cowser can play a serviceable CF.  Hicks isn't that good in the field any longer anyway.  And with Cowser and Kjerstad both ready, I'm not too worried about our OF depth, certainly not enough to bring Hicks back.  The fact that he'd want considerable playing time is another reason to NOT sign him.  He shouldn't get at bats over Mullins, Santander or Hays, and shouldn't take away development time from Cowser and/or Kjerstad.  We don't need him, hard pass. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I believe Cowser can play a serviceable CF.  Hicks isn't that good in the field any longer anyway.  And with Cowser and Kjerstad both ready, I'm not too worried about our OF depth, certainly not enough to bring Hicks back.  The fact that he'd want considerable playing time is another reason to NOT sign him.  He shouldn't get at bats over Mullins, Santander or Hays, and shouldn't take away development time from Cowser and/or Kjerstad.  We don't need him, hard pass. 

Is Hicks basically a free agent every year.  He's guaranteed to receive the money the Yankees owe him and is paid the MLB minimum by any team he signs with?  I assume Elias maybe likes Hilliard overall better than Hicks.  I'm assuming Hilliard is better defensively.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is Hicks basically a free agent every year.  He's guaranteed to receive the money the Yankees owe him and is paid the MLB minimum by any team he signs with?  I assume Elias maybe likes Hilliard overall better than Hicks.  I'm assuming Hilliard is better defensively.

I assume that Hilliard is someone Elias believes he can pass through waivers at the end of spring training to provide depth in Norfolk. I’ll be very surprised if Hilliard is on the opening day roster. I don’t think Hicks is interested in being AAA depth.

3 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I assume that Hilliard is someone Elias believes he can pass through waivers at the end of spring training to provide depth in Norfolk. I’ll be very surprised if Hilliard is on the opening day roster. I don’t think Hicks is interested in being AAA depth.

Hicks had a .381 OBP with us last year. 49 SO 35 BB. He’s good insurance. I see a ST reunion happening with us. Mateo will be in the CF mix some. Hicks is good insurance. SH. If everyone is healthy then hopefully at least one of McKenna/Hilliard clears waivers at the end of ST. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hicks had a .381 OBP with us last year. 49 SO 35 BB. He’s good insurance. I see a ST reunion happening with us. Mateo will be in the CF mix some. Hicks is good insurance. SH. If everyone is healthy then hopefully at least one of McKenna/Hilliard clears waivers at the end of ST. 

Aaron Hicks is a CF in name and reputation only at this point.  He did a great job offensively, but he’s an old 33 defensively.   Since 2018 he’s had negative DRS and OAA every year in CF and even with us there were a few times he tracked balls down and didn’t make the catch.   The reason I don’t think he’ll be back is the defense.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I saw a comment maybe 100 pages back lol that stated that these free agent contracts don’t change the value of Cease via trade, but they definitely do. This guy is gonna be dirt cheap for 2 years compared to the market, and he will most likely out produce guys that are going to make 20 + per….Im starting to come around to the idea that Getz isn’t as crazy as we on here are making him out to be.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Aaron Hicks is a CF in name and reputation only at this point.  He did a great job offensively, but he’s an old 33 defensively.   Since 2018 he’s had negative DRS and OAA every year in CF and even with us there were a few times he tracked balls down and didn’t make the catch.   The reason I don’t think he’ll be back is the defense.

Is he as good as a CF as Luke Raley and Aaron Judge?  Both of those guys started some in CF for the other two playoff teams in our division. Hicks is just a backup CF.  Mateo can play there too. 

What is it with Hicks that people don’t like?  Initially it’s that Cowser should’ve been up instead. What is it now?

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is he as good as a CF as Luke Raley and Aaron Judge?  Both of those guys started some in CF for the other two playoff teams in our division. Hicks is just a backup CF.  Mateo can play there too. 

What is it with Hicks that people don’t like?  Initially it’s that Cowser should’ve been up instead. What is it now?

I just told you what’s not to like about Aaron Hicks plus we got an offensive performance from him that he’s unlikely to repeat if you look at his last few years.   I believe Judge is average in CF but it’s pretty easy to look up.  Hint. Hint.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I just told you what’s not to like about Aaron Hicks plus we got an offensive performance from him that he’s unlikely to repeat if you look at his last few years.   I believe Judge is average in CF but it’s pretty easy to look up.  Hint. Hint.

Judge is shockingly adriot out there is center for a behemoth.