Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Baseball America on Beavers which, obviously, assumes most home park LF are the easiest spot.

He's a plus runner who is even quicker underway and has a plus arm, with the potential to adequately handle either center or right in the majors.

I’ll defer to @Tony-OH on If Beavers can handle LF full time in OPACY. All I can do is watch videos on milb.com. 

This big boy is laboring right here and he’s going to fill out,

https://www.milb.com/app-firstpitch/video/beavers-inside-the-park-home-run?t=milb-top-videos

It’s cherry picking a funny clip, but he’s going to fill out  There’s other clips.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Watch the videos of him. We have a unique LF. It requires a Hays/Cowser type. That’s saying that I think Cowser is slightly below Hays. Hays is a great fit for our park. 

Beavers is tall and lanky. He doesn’t have the start ability to get big jumps, nor the foot speed, to play LF in OPACY. Sure, he can probably play LF in 90% of other parks, but we play 81 home games in OPACY. 

As a side note, Elias has drafted to fit the new dimensions. Cowser and EBJ our great fits and defensively will be fine replacements for Gold Glovers in Hays/Mullins.  

Do you know for sure that Cowser gets better jumps and is faster than Beavers?   

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ll defer to @Tony-OH on If Beavers can handle LF full time in OPACY. All I can do is watch videos on milb.com. 

https://www.milb.com/app-firstpitch/video/beavers-inside-the-park-home-run?t=milb-top-videos

It’s cherry picking a funny clip, but he’s going to fill out  There’s other clips.

Sure, in that clip he looks gassed and uncoordinated.  I can only go by the scouting reports and they all disagree with you.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If only there was a recent scouting report from Tony about Beavers….

Oh yea, there is.

https://orioleshangout.com/2023/11/14/2023-orioles-8-prospect-dylan-beavers-of/

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If only there was a recent scouting report from Tony about Beavers….

Oh yea, there is.

https://orioleshangout.com/2023/11/14/2023-orioles-8-prospect-dylan-beavers-of/

I read that. He’s not the best at getting jumps. He’s going to slow down and lose the 60 run tool the more he fills out. Tony has him at 60 presently, mlb has him at 55. 

It takes a player with more range to play LF in OPACY. Beavers could play LF in probably every other ballpark in the league, but we play 81 home games with our dimensions at home. 

These scouting reports are great, but they’re not ballpark specific.  It’s the ballpark we have to play in.

It doesn’t mean that I have anything against him. He’s just not a LF at OPACY. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I read that. He’s not the best at getting jumps. He’s going to slow down and lose the 60 run tool the more he fills out. Tony has him at 60 presently, mlb has him at 55. 

It takes a player with more range to play LF in OPACY. Beavers could play LF in probably every other ballpark in the league, but we play 81 home games with our dimensions at home. 

These scouting reports are great, but they’re not ballpark specific.  It’s the ballpark we have to play in.

lol…ok.  At this point, evidence means nothing to you so whatever. 

Either way, it’s foolish to say we CANT trade a guy. That’s just wrong.

Edited by Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You seem to think Austin Hays is good, Cowser is okay, and Beavers is not ok.  You said you would defer to Tony but then it seems not.  Hays has average ML sprint speed and has been rated below average in getting jumps over the last 3 years.   He played a nice LF last year.  He takes good routes, catches everything he gets to, and has a plus arm.  I think we don’t know as much about Beavers but you seem to know everything about him. 

After listening to the podcasts that @btdart20 posted in the MLB section, a couple things come to mind:

1. I wonder how easily attainable it is to get a full and reliable report on other team's players mental make-up, work ethic, & drive.  

2. If attainable, I'm curious which guys out there this org. wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.  

I imagine that info could be hard to come by and, if so, could create a sense of more risk when trading known entities.  Just another small piece in a very big puzzle.  

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

lol…ok.  At this point, evidence means nothing to you so whatever. 

Either way, it’s foolish to say we CANT trade a guy. That’s just wrong.

Beavers was 6’4” 206 at age 21/22 last year. How long do you think he’s going to stay that size?  He might be able to play some LF right now in OPACY, but he won’t be 22 and 206 lbs in 2025’+

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Beavers was 6’4” 206 at age 21/22 last year. How long do you think he’s going to stay that size?  He might be able to play some LF right now in OPACY, but he won’t be 22 and 206 lbs in 2025’+

You are assuming but you actually have no idea.  Stop treating this like it’s a fact. It’s fine for you to have the opinion on it but you are acting like it’s a no doubt it fact.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think Beavers can play CF. I doubt that Kjerstad or Beavers can handle LF in OPACY. That’s why Cowser has so much value to us. st his bat and prospect ranking that is too much to trade, but he’s our best/only fit in our system for LF in the future. 

I don’t think Beavers should be lumped in with Kjerstad defensively.  I do think there’s a decent chance he could handle LF at OPACY.  Kjerstad probably couldn’t.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t think Beavers should be lumped in with Kjerstad defensively.  I do think there’s a decent chance he could handle LF at OPACY.  Kjerstad probably couldn’t.   

Man this is just my opinion and it's not founded on a whole lot, but I kind of feel like the whole "playing LF in Camden Yards" thing is overblown. Hays is slow as dirt but he takes solid reads, has a good arm, and gives a lot of effort. But it's not like he's some defensive wizard. Yet the team has become sort of fixated on him out there, and with the concept of having a CF-lite guy in LF. I don't know if I buy it. If a guy gets good reads, he's gonna be fine out there. A few are going to drop in and that's just the nature of the dimensions. 

So my soapbox take is that Kjerstad or Cowser or Beavers or whatever young, athletic guy we put out there is probably going to do just fine. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are assuming but you actually have no idea.  Stop treating this like it’s a fact. It’s fine for you to have the opinion on it but you are acting like it’s a no doubt it fact.

You’re assuming that Beavers can play the biggest Sq footage LF in MLB. Essentially another CF. That’s assuming a lot for a guy that is 6’4” 206. 

We have great prospect depth overall, but if we trade Cowser, then we are really thin at LF options. We’re not going to buy a FA. That’s not going to happen. So our LF depth is Beavers, Fabian, and then maybe Wagner/Horvath, with some Norby sprinkled in on the road. 

Those 6 years of Cowser in LF at OPACY is really valuable. We need those. Nothing against Beavers. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You’re assuming that Beavers can play the biggest Sq footage LF in MLB. Essentially another CF. That’s assuming a lot for a guy that is 6’4” 206. 

We have great prospect depth overall, but if we trade Cowser, then we are really thin at LF options. We’re not going to buy a FA. That’s not going to happen. So our LF depth is Beavers, Fabian, and then maybe Wagner/Horvath, with some Norby sprinkled in on the road. 

Those 6 years of Cowser in LF at OPACY is really valuable. We need those. Nothing against Beavers. 

Im not assuming anything…im just not foolishly dismissing anything.

I am curious when the year begins if EBJ gets set on one of those Norby-Cowser several years projects of we need to grow some power out of you.     The shape of his skills is distinctive enough I think him getting a pass is possible.

He's Jarrod Dyson by October 2024, and the 2025 outfield is Mullins, EBJ and the Kjerstad-Cowser winner.

Whether Elias pushes to win Cease or Burnes is a clue what he really thinks of Means.    A tournament contender benefits from 3 strong options, and I believe by SP4 Clubs probably prefer relievers for bigger October roles.    TEX got both Leclerc and Sborz into their Top 4 in October innings.

Yes-No-Maybe, are you one of MLB's 75-90 best SP for 2024's competition including tournament?     Cease - yes, Kremer - no, Means - maybe.      There are nits to pick with Dylan Cease, but don't miss the forest for the trees.