Comparing the OH Top 30 lists from 2022 and 2023

Frobby

I’ve been comparing Tony’s 2022 and 2023 top 30 lists to see which list is stronger.  I did a side by side matchup, and in my opinion (aided but not completely dictated by Tony’s grades), I think the 2022 list was a bit stronger, or at least, appeared to be at the time the list was compiled.  I have the 2022 class winning 21 of 30 matchups, with one tie.  I’ll go through all that in a later post.  

There are 17 players who appeared on both lists.  From last year’s top 30, Henderson, Rodriguez, Hall and Westburg graduated, while Hernaiz, Rom and Prieto were traded.   Falling off the list for performance reasons were Bencosme, Carter Young, Denoyer, Estrada, Haskin and Amparo.  In my opinion, of the 17 incumbents, 8 improved their profile (Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, Kjerstad, Beavers, McDermott, Tavera, Arias), 5 slipped (Norby, Povich, Baumler, Wagner and Fabian), and 4 stayed about the same (Cowser, Ortiz, Johnson and Bright).  Needless to say, some of those are debatable.  

As I’m sure many noticed, there was an  increase in international representation this year, with 9 international players on the list (Basallo, Tavera, De Leon, Liranzo, Sosa,  Arias, Almeyda, Nunez, Marao) compared to last year’s 7 (Basallo, Bencosme, Tavera, Estrada, Prieto, Amparo, Arias).  Five are in the top 20, compared to two last year.  That’s a positive sign for our international group but also reflects some weakening among our domestic group IMO.  Not surprising when you consider who graduated the list and where our draft position was compared to previous years.  

I’ll do my head to head analysis later today.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

8.      Colton Cowser (40, 50, 55, L) vs. Dylan Beavers (40, 50, 55, M): I think Cowser has the higher ceiling and floor.  Cowser in 2022 destroyed the level that Beavers is in now, and was moved to AAA.

I think Beavers has the higher floor.  First off, he was technically in his age 21 season last year while Cowser was in his age 22 season in 2022.  Even with those great AA numbers Cowser struck out 25% of the time while Beavers struck out 20% at AA.    

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think Beavers has the higher floor.  First off, he was technically in his age 21 season last year while Cowser was in his age 22 season in 2022.  Even with those great AA numbers Cowser struck out 25% of the time while Beavers struck out 20% at AA.    

So does that mean you would have chosen Beavers over the 2022 version of Cowser?   Or do you see Cowser having had more upside that outweighs the lower floor?

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So does that mean you would have chosen Beavers over the 2022 version of Cowser?   Or do you see Cowser having had more upside that outweighs the lower floor?

Tough question.  I guess I would still go 22 Cowser based on the higher upside although I’m not sure about that either.   If Beavers starts hitting home runs and maintains good contact rates, then what?

I landed with 16-14 with the edge to 2022.  I took Gunnar over Jackson based on power/defense/arm.  I'd rather see the ceilings that far down the list than the floors which is probably a fundament difference between my final 'grade' and yours.

2022 - 6 (3 70+)

2023 - 8 (3 70+)

Graduating Gunnar (70-ceiling), Grayson (70), and Hall (60) will do that.  Half of the most talented ceiling athletes from last year were no longer considered in 2023.  We've baack-filled the 70-ceilling guys with growth from Mayo/Basallo.  Plus, the 60-ceiling guys were back-filled and reached further down the list in 2023.  The risk/ceiling influx is largely due to more international/younger guys.

Re: Povich/Baumler - Interesting that both fell in the exact same slots as 2022.  I agree with your assessment.  I was more excited about them last year-end than this year-end.  We didn't really learn much from Baumler and still have the nagging health questions (maybe to a greater degree even).  Povich did advance to AAA.  He did have some dominant outings.  It's interesting that the only guy between Povich and Baumler from 2022 to 2023 who is still slotted in that tier is... Seth Johnson.  Everyone but Braylin Tavera (and Hernaiz) faded.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

8.      Colton Cowser (40, 50, 55, L) vs. Dylan Beavers (40, 50, 55, M): I think Cowser has the higher ceiling and floor.  Cowser in 2022 destroyed the level that Beavers is in now, and was moved to AAA.

This is an interesting pairing.  Both had some tweaks to their swing/approach and both may have kicked it to the curb and leaned into their innate skill.  

Interesting that Cowser was 8th in 2022 and 5th in 2023.  Is he the beneficiary of graduations up the board?  Or a solidified floor?  But what about the debut?  Is it foreshadowing for Beavers' 2024?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Interesting that Cowser was 8th in 2022 and 5th in 2023.  Is he the beneficiary of graduations up the board?  Or a solidified floor?  But what about the debut?  Is it foreshadowing for Beavers' 2024?

I considered Cowser between 4-6 on the list. I think he's better than his awful debut, but I do have some concerns on hitting velocity. Saying that, he's got the best all around combination of power, speed, and defense compared to Kjerstad and Ortiz. 

Ultimately, I think Cowser will be ok and will settle in as an everyday left fielder in Camden Yards for the Orioles for years to come. Kjerstad got the nod over him at #4 because of his power potential and the fact his bat looks more major league ready. He has no issues with velocity that I've been able to observe. He got the nod over Ortiz because of some questions on how much power Ortiz will ultimately have at the major league level. Ortiz does have the highest floor though because there is no doubt he'll have a long major league career as a utility guy because of his defense.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I landed with 16-14 with the edge to 2022.  I took Gunnar over Jackson based on power/defense/arm.  I'd rather see the ceilings that far down the list than the floors which is probably a fundament difference between my final 'grade' and yours.

That’s fair.  I tend to be conservative and like the guys who are likely to have at least some major league future, vs. the guys who might not make it at all but might also have more upside.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo, are all really young, and all have huge ceilings.  It's crazy that a debate could even exist over which is better Gunnar/GR/Holliday or Holliday/Mayo/Basallo.   

Why is it crazy?  The first group was young with huge ceilings too.