Baseball America Orioles Top 10

RZNJ

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's not about the rep points, it's just nice to know people appreciate the work you put in. It's just surprising when I see people get a bunch of reactions for just posting info from another source when the same posters couldn't take the time to react to actual hours upon hours of work.

But honestly, I've been thinking of slowing down anyways and after seeing the lack of interest in the lists this year just made me realize that when the team is doing doing good, the focus is much stronger on the big league offseason than on the minors and the prospects. 

I know a few of you care a lot, but I'm not sure people know how much time goes into watching video, reading stuff, and analyzing statistics it takes to try and give people a good understanding of the prospects.

The juice just may not be worth the squeeze any longer. I'll still do the top 30, but will probably just throw a few names out as players to follow next year vs spending all the time researching the 65th prospect. The more I think about the more absurd it seems to be that I actually go that deep when about 10 people give a crap.

Ok. I understand.  Not too many of us minor league nuts on the board but I always enjoy your prospects stuff.  

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

First off, DL Hall is no longer a rookie due to the amount days on the 26-man roster he's been on so he shouldn't even be on the list.

We have plenty of statcast dats to show that Hall has nowhere near an 80 fastball. It's ludicrous to suggest that he does.

Yep…that’s what figured.

And I was wondering how they could have Hall on this list myself.   Wonder if Stowers will show up too?

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's not about the rep points, it's just nice to know people appreciate the work you put in. It's just surprising when I see people get a bunch of reactions for just posting info from another source when the same posters couldn't take the time to react to actual hours upon hours of work.

But honestly, I've been thinking of slowing down anyways and after seeing the lack of interest in the lists this year just made me realize that when the team is doing doing good, the focus is much stronger on the big league offseason than on the minors and the prospects. 

I know a few of you care a lot, but I'm not sure people know how much time goes into watching video, reading stuff, and analyzing statistics it takes to try and give people a good understanding of the prospects.

The juice just may not be worth the squeeze any longer. I'll still do the top 30, but will probably just throw a few names out as players to follow next year vs spending all the time researching the 65th prospect. The more I think about the more absurd it seems to be that I actually go that deep when about 10 people give a crap.

You do put out the best list imo.  Too many of the other lists are just not educated or are “too lollipop”. Every prospect is great and none of them have holes. The insight from the scouts is a nice bonus too.

That said, unless you want to do it because YOU want to and love it, I wouldn’t take the time to go outside the top 30 other than to maybe talk about honorable mention type guys.

I personally think the best part of the list, especially this year, is learning about the Intl guys that we just don’t hear much about.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You do put out the best list imo.  Too many of the other lists are just not educated or are “too lollipop”. Every prospect is great and none of them have holes. The insight from the scouts is a nice bonus too.

That said, unless you want to do it because YOU want to and love it, I wouldn’t take the time to go outside the top 30 other than to maybe talk about honorable mention type guys.

I personally think the best part of the list, especially this year, is learning about the Intl guys that we just don’t hear much about.  

I second these comments. @Tony-OH the point you raise about whether it's worth it, I can relate to in another sphere. I'm an amateur at playing flute but I get obsessed with puzzling through theory and practice, and having done all that, decided to share it via posts to Substack (The Wayward Flute). But I only have half a dozen subscribers so often think, what the heck, it's not worth it. Next thing I know, I'm doing the same thing again because, what the heck, it's my personal passion anyway so might as well share what I'm doing for the few others who value it.

That said, the comments in this thread should tell you your work truly is appreciated on a much larger scale than my flute studies, or what the rep points indicate. In any case, do what you love... :)

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

First off, DL Hall is no longer a rookie due to the amount days on the 26-man roster he's been on so he shouldn't even be on the list.

BA uses slightly different criteria for prospect status than MLB uses for rookie status.  I believe they go strictly by at bats/innings without regard to days of service.  I heard Jon Meoli (who did last year’s BA write-up, not sure about this one) explain this on a podcast last year.   Stowers was on last year’s BA list for the same reason.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

BA uses slightly different criteria for prospect status than MLB uses for rookie status.  I believe they go strictly by at bats/innings without regard to days of service.  I heard Jon Meoli (who did last year’s BA write-up, not sure about this one) explain this on a podcast last year.   Stowers was on last year’s BA list for the same reason.  

Yep. I think they believe it's too hard to get the days on 26-man roster for all close players. I know if year's past i would text someone on the Orioles staff who always knew. Now with transactions records available I can find out myself but I only have one organization to do so I can understand why they do so.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wait, you got six reactions for posting Baseball America content and I think I got 9 thanks or reactions (3 for the top 30, 5 for 31-50, 1 for 51-75) for putting about three weeks of work into a top 75 prospect list, linking content and doing everything I can to provide fans information. I must be doing something wrong. lol Next year I'll just post BA content and save my time.

Oh well, I think I'm going to start ramping down on the amount of info I provide next year since so few people appreciate what I do. I don't think there was as much interest with the team being good now at the major league level. Few seems to care about the 31-75 guys from I can tell. No use wasting my time if so few people care. this time of year was when I normally got a lot of reactions and comments which let me know they appreciate the work..

You can just post BA and Fangraph stuff and save me time.

As for the list, no huge quibbles from me.

People care a lot Tony. I don’t know about others, but I vary a lot in how often I click thumps up or the like button. I think your analyses are super appreciated and strongly influence OH members. Posters refer to them all the time including in this thread. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wait, you got six reactions for posting Baseball America content and I think I got 9 thanks or reactions (3 for the top 30, 5 for 31-50, 1 for 51-75) for putting about three weeks of work into a top 75 prospect list, linking content and doing everything I can to provide fans information. I must be doing something wrong. lol Next year I'll just post BA content and save my time.

Oh well, I think I'm going to start ramping down on the amount of info I provide next year since so few people appreciate what I do. I don't think there was as much interest with the team being good now at the major league level. Few seems to care about the 31-75 guys from I can tell. No use wasting my time if so few people care. this time of year was when I normally got a lot of reactions and comments which let me know they appreciate the work..

You can just post BA and Fangraph stuff and save me time.

As for the list, no huge quibbles from me.

I thoroughly enjoyed the too 30, especially the international players that are hard to get information on. I appreciate the hard work. 

• Upvote 1

For me personally - this is my only source of information on the minor leagues and international players.   The reports and first hand accounts from posters and contributors on this board are a godsend for me.   I don't live anywhere near Baltimore, or the east coast for that matter, so I love to hear about the farm system.   This board is awesome.  Thanks to all who contribute and put me in my place when I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sorry to derail the thread. I was having a crap day yesterday when I took it out here. I appreciate the words of support.

I totally get this, happens to all of us.  Though I don't voice my appreciation enough I love this site for all of the information at our disposal.  Thank you for your expert coverage and creating a community for Oriole fans around the world!  

Sorry to derail the thread. I was having a crap day yesterday when I took it out here. I appreciate the words of support.

No worries, Tony.   I LOVE your insights into the O's system.   This place is the BEST place to talk about my favorite sports team!  

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just checked and I was embarrassed to see that I hadn’t repped either your 31-50 or 51-75 posts.   I’ve remedied that, and I guess I should go back and see which of your top 30 profiles I haven’t repped.   But honestly, I hope you know that you don’t get all the rep that a “regular” poster would get for providing that same information.   It’s not that people take you for granted (at least, I don’t), it’s just that rep points are kind of inadequate when it comes to expressing appreciation for what you do, especially this time of year when you’re putting out great information on a daily basis.  Believe me, I appreciate every single one of these posts whether I remember to rep them or not.  It’s the whole reason I started coming to this website.   

I also routinelyforget to rep Chuck for his daily summaries even though I read every one of them, especially on the minor league side.  

As to RZNJ, well, you just have to rep him on those rare occasions when he posts something worthwhile.  😉  You never know if another chance will come along!

That was a classy response.

Np! During the off-season I go into low-OH mode (can't let baseball suck up my whole year!) and so don't respond or rep as much. Be assured that almost everyone here, I'm sure, considers your remarkably comprehensive and helpful takes on the prospects one of the invaluable features of the Hangout.

• Upvote 1