Baseball America Orioles Top 10

RZNJ

@RZNJ-thanks for sharing!  These jive with what Tony has said.  

Good to read a bit more about EBJ.  He’ll be interesting to follow, especially that swinging strike rate!

Also nice to see the Bright cameo in the superlatives section.  Cool to see Holliday as the most athletic too.  I wonder how close EBJ or Ortiz were in that debate…?

Just now, btdart20 said:

@RZNJ-thanks for sharing!  These jive with what Tony has said.  

Good to read a bit more about EBJ.  He’ll be interesting to follow, especially that swinging strike rate!

Also nice to see the Bright cameo in the superlatives section.  Cool to see Holliday as the most athletic too.  I wonder how close EBJ or Ortiz were in that debate…?

I was pleasantly surprised to see Holliday described as athletic and “at least” a plus SS.

Yes, I think the list  and write ups are, for the most part, closely aligned with Tony’s.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

For now.

Projected 2027 Lineup

Catcher: Adley Rutschman (29)
First Base: Ryan Mountcastle (30)
Second Base: Jackson Holliday (23)
Third Base: Coby Mayo (25)
Shortstop: Gunnar Henderson (26)
Left Field: Colton Cowser (27)
Center Field: Enrique Bradfield Jr. (25)
Right Field: Heston Kjerstad (28)
Designated Hitter: Samuel Basallo (22)

No. 1 Starter: Grayson Rodriguez (27)
No. 2 Starter: Kyle Bradish (30)
No. 3 Starter: DL Hall (28)
No. 4 Starter: Dean Kremer (31)
No. 5 Starter: Chayce McDermott (28)
Closer: Felix Bautista (32)

Listed below are the prospects with the best tools within the organization. To go directly to Baltimore’s Top 10, click here.

Best Tools

Best Hitter for Average: Jackson Holliday
Best Power Hitter: Samuel Basallo
Best Strike-Zone Discipline: Jackson Holliday
Fastest Baserunner: Enrique Bradfield Jr.
Best Athlete: Jackson Holliday
Best Fastball: DL Hall
Best Curveball: Trace Bright
Best Slider: DL Hall
Best Changeup: DL Hall
Best Control: Alex Pham
Best Defensive Catcher: Silas Ardoin
Best Defensive Infielder: Joey Ortiz
Best Infield Arm: Coby Mayo
Best Defensive Outfielder: Enrique Bradfield Jr.
Best Outfield Arm: Jud Fabian

Wait, you got six reactions for posting Baseball America content and I think I got 9 thanks or reactions (3 for the top 30, 5 for 31-50, 1 for 51-75) for putting about three weeks of work into a top 75 prospect list, linking content and doing everything I can to provide fans information. I must be doing something wrong. lol Next year I'll just post BA content and save my time.

Oh well, I think I'm going to start ramping down on the amount of info I provide next year since so few people appreciate what I do. I don't think there was as much interest with the team being good now at the major league level. Few seems to care about the 31-75 guys from I can tell. No use wasting my time if so few people care. this time of year was when I normally got a lot of reactions and comments which let me know they appreciate the work..

You can just post BA and Fangraph stuff and save me time.

As for the list, no huge quibbles from me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wait, you got six reactions for posting Baseball America content and I think I got 9 thanks or reactions (3 for the top 30, 5 for 31-50, 1 for 51-75) for putting about three weeks of work into a top 75 prospect list, linking content and doing everything I can to provide fans information. I must be doing something wrong. lol Next year I'll just post BA content and save my time.

Oh well, I think I'm going to start ramping down on the amount of info I provide next year since so few people appreciate what I do. I don't think there was as much interest with the team being good now at the major league level. Few seems to care about the 31-75 guys from I can tell. No use wasting my time if so few people care. this time of year was when I normally got a lot of reactions and comments which let me know they appreciate the work..

Believe it or not, I just thanked you in the minor league section for all of your hard work.  I think you’re appreciated more than you realize.   Rep points?   Really?

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

80 fastball?!!??! I don't recall seeing that previously.

80 is over the top imo.

However, I recall them (I believe Geoff Pointes) talking about how Hall was the only pitcher in the minors with a 40% whiff rate on 4 different pitches.  I think that was 2 seasons ago.

They have just always liked him although they were always unsure of his role.

IIrC, I think they would have him higher than Tony did, at least recently.  Maybe Tony remembers that better than I do though.

Of course, some of that is BA wanting to stick to their guns and not say they overrated someone too.

I saw DL Hall serve up a mammoth HR on a 99 MPH fastball at Camden Yards this year.  My son (a pitcher) was amazed... "How the heck can someone throw so hard and get hit like that?".  I guess it's a control issue.  ML hitters can (somehow) hit 100 MPH pitches so you have to keep them out of the sweet part of the hitting zone....

As for Tony- my favorite part of OH every year is the prospect scouting reports and write ups.  It's literally the reason I stay connected to the site and the thing I look foward to most every season.  Keep up the incredible work!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I just checked and I was embarrassed to see that I hadn’t repped either your 31-50 or 51-75 posts.   I’ve remedied that, and I guess I should go back and see which of your top 30 profiles I haven’t repped.   But honestly, I hope you know that you don’t get all the rep that a “regular” poster would get for providing that same information.   It’s not that people take you for granted (at least, I don’t), it’s just that rep points are kind of inadequate when it comes to expressing appreciation for what you do, especially this time of year when you’re putting out great information on a daily basis.  Believe me, I appreciate every single one of these posts whether I remember to rep them or not.  It’s the whole reason I started coming to this website.   

I also routinelyforget to rep Chuck for his daily summaries even though I read every one of them, especially on the minor league side.  

As to RZNJ, well, you just have to rep him on those rare occasions when he posts something worthwhile.  😉  You never know if another chance will come along!

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just checked and I was embarrassed to see that I hadn’t repped either your 31-50 or 51-75 posts.   I’ve remedied that, and I guess I should go back and see which of your top 30 profiles I haven’t repped.   But honestly, I hope you know that you don’t get all the rep that a “regular” poster would get for providing that same information.   It’s not that people take you for granted (at least, I don’t), it’s just that rep points are kind of inadequate when it comes to expressing appreciation for what you do, especially this time of year when you’re putting out great information on a daily basis.  Believe me, I appreciate every single one of these posts whether I remember to rep them or not.  It’s the whole reason I started coming to this website.   

I also routinelyforget to rep Chuck for his daily summaries even though I read every one of them, especially on the minor league side.  

As to RZNJ, well, you just have to rep him on those rare occasions when he posts something worthwhile.  😉  You never know if another chance will come along!

Why don’t you search some of my old polls and start some new ones.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess there’s always a first for everything.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Believe it or not, I just thanked you in the minor league section for all of your hard work.  I think you’re appreciated more than you realize.   Rep points?   Really?

It's not about the rep points, it's just nice to know people appreciate the work you put in. It's just surprising when I see people get a bunch of reactions for just posting info from another source when the same posters couldn't take the time to react to actual hours upon hours of work.

But honestly, I've been thinking of slowing down anyways and after seeing the lack of interest in the lists this year just made me realize that when the team is doing doing good, the focus is much stronger on the big league offseason than on the minors and the prospects. 

I know a few of you care a lot, but I'm not sure people know how much time goes into watching video, reading stuff, and analyzing statistics it takes to try and give people a good understanding of the prospects.

The juice just may not be worth the squeeze any longer. I'll still do the top 30, but will probably just throw a few names out as players to follow next year vs spending all the time researching the 65th prospect. The more I think about the more absurd it seems to be that I actually go that deep when about 10 people give a crap.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

80 is over the top imo.

However, I recall them (I believe Geoff Pointes) talking about how Hall was the only pitcher in the minors with a 40% whiff rate on 4 different pitches.  I think that was 2 seasons ago.

They have just always liked him although they were always unsure of his role.

IIrC, I think they would have him higher than Tony did, at least recently.  Maybe Tony remembers that better than I do though.

Of course, some of that is BA wanting to stick to their guns and not say they overrated someone too.

First off, DL Hall is no longer a rookie due to the amount days on the 26-man roster he's been on so he shouldn't even be on the list.

We have plenty of statcast dats to show that Hall has nowhere near an 80 fastball. It's ludicrous to suggest that he does.