MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Could be something, could be nothing. Could be a flight to Toronto.

Sooner or later it will get busy.  The national reporters have been telling us this for 2 months.  These next 7 days will be busy.  I guess players are use to finding places to live and stay in short order with moving teams more often but if it was me I would want to know exactly where i am going to be playing and have everything in order by the end of January especially with those with families.  

FA signings mean a more active waiver wire market. We have an open spot with being able to put Bautista on the 60 day IL. One name that is interesting…

OF Simon Muzziotti L/L Phillies - currently in DFA limbo

Currently ranked as the Phillies #8 prospect by mlb pipeline https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2023/phillies/

He’s LH. Can play CF and all three OF spots. Has an option for 2024. More speed than pop. 

He’d give us some AAA depth behind McKenna/Hilliard that both are out of options. This would be similar thinking as to claiming Soto. AAA depth. Some prospect ceiling. Maybe we can sprinkle some Orange Oriole prospect dust on him. Try and tap into his power. 7 HR, 26 steals last season. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

FA signings mean a more active waiver wire market. We have an open spot with being able to put Bautista on the 60 day IL. One name that is interesting…

Currently ranked as the Phillies #8 prospect by mlb pipeline https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2023/phillies/

He’s LH. Can play CF and all three OF spots. Has an option for 2024. More speed than pop. 

He’d give us some AAA depth behind McKenna/Hilliard that both are out of options. This would be similar thinking as to claiming Soto. AAA depth. Some prospect ceiling. Maybe we can sprinkle some Orange Oriole prospect dust on him. Try and tap into his power. 7 HR, 26 steals last season. 

With all of the outfielders we have in the system, this is likely the last place I'd go looking for waiver wire claims unless we're trading a couple of them away.  I think I'd be looking at opportunities in the pitching area, not in the outfield. 

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Also worth noting, after 7 years in the minor leagues and 2 in foreign leagues, it's pretty evident to me that there is no power to tap into here, either.  Hard pass....

16 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

With all of the outfielders we have in the system, this is likely the last place I'd go looking for waiver wire claims unless we're trading a couple of them away.  I think I'd be looking at opportunities in the pitching area, not in the outfield. 

How many of those OF can play CF?  CF with an option, or a RH RP with an option, are our two most likely claims. We also would probably have to work out a “cash considerations” trade for anyone on waivers because we are at the end of the priority list. 

The waiver wire is not sexy, but we’re in pretty good 40 man roster shape right now. So we can make some claims like Muzziotti, and Soto, as depth for AAA.

Saw this Q&A in the MLB Trade Rumors chat today:

"1:18

It seems like the O's need another bullpen addition to be a true WS contender..should they be trying to trade for an RP addition?

Steve Adams

1:20

I think they need another rotation addition more than another bullpen addition. Baltimore's projected payroll is $95MM. It's wild to me that they're not all over Snell and Montgomery.

Maybe they are and are just good at keeping it close to the vest, but there's no team with a more obvious blend of available payroll space and need. Plus they only have Burnes for one year, so why stop at acquiring him?"

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

Saw this Q&A in the MLB Trade Rumors chat today:

"1:18

It seems like the O's need another bullpen addition to be a true WS contender..should they be trying to trade for an RP addition?

Steve Adams

1:20

I think they need another rotation addition more than another bullpen addition. Baltimore's projected payroll is $95MM. It's wild to me that they're not all over Snell and Montgomery.

Maybe they are and are just good at keeping it close to the vest, but there's no team with a more obvious blend of available payroll space and need. Plus they only have Burnes for one year, so why stop at acquiring him?"

Steve Adams must not have heard the news about the Orioles trading for Corbin Burnes, while already having one of the better rotations in baseball from the 2023 season.