MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

37 minutes ago, Malike said:

I can't believe that Hector Neris is being called an elite back of the bullpen guy. His FIP last year was 3.83 and xFIP 4.45. In 10 years in the bigs he's been worth 7 WAR. In which multiverse does that suggest elite back of the pen pitcher?

Wouldn't say he's elite but he is definitely back end. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m exhausted. 

I get it.   I’m weird (you already know that).  I’m excited if they make a trade or don’t make one but I’m 60/40 that the board will have some excitement before ST starts.

But I’m 100% (zero chance!) that Monty ain’t going to be an Oriole.  You have more chance of Clift or Bernard.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Despite ME's claims, I don't see a lot remaining.  I mean, there's a lot of names out there, not much more that would make sense for us.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-24-mlb-free-agents-by-position

Give me Monty and just call it a day at this point.

He ought to have the balls to just say he doesn’t have the budget. It’s obvious but still needs to be said. The total control of baseball ops was just another of the many of the Angelos lies we’ve been told over the years. Peter got in the way of the reorganization. But at least he was willing to spend some money. This fool is just as bad as Peter but just in a different way. Hearing a major league sports owner wine about money is absurd.

29 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He ought to have the balls to just say he doesn’t have the budget. It’s obvious but still needs to be said. The total control of baseball ops was just another of the many of the Angelos lies we’ve been told over the years. Peter got in the way of the reorganization. But at least he was willing to spend some money. This fool is just as bad as Peter but just in a different way. Hearing a major league sports owner wine about money is absurd.

It’s obvious but it still needs to be said?   For who?   The slow folks?

36 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I hope the O's have new ownership before Elias tires of this nonsense.  I'm sure if Elias ever decides to leave he'll have a much better exit strategy than Duquette.  We'll probably just see a report on ESPN that Elias was traded to the Mets for cash considerations.

11 hours ago, Malike said:

I can't believe that Hector Neris is being called an elite back of the bullpen guy. His FIP last year was 3.83 and xFIP 4.45. In 10 years in the bigs he's been worth 7 WAR. In which multiverse does that suggest elite back of the pen pitcher?

In last year's multiverse? In 2023 Neris led all of MLB with 31 Holds (tied with Cano) and was worth 2.5 WAR. That's pretty damn elite for a non-closer relief pitcher. For context, Seattle's  Andres Munoz who is widely considered one of the best non-closer arms in the game had a combined WAR of 2.1 for the last two seasons. If you want to argue that Neris can't repeat last season's performance that's perfectly fine, but it certainly didn't merit the level of condescension in your post since he was literally elite last season. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

In last year's multiverse? In 2023 Neris led all of MLB with 31 Holds (tied with Cano) and was worth 2.5 WAR. That's pretty damn elite for a non-closer relief pitcher. For context, Seattle's  Andres Munoz who is widely considered one of the best non-closer arms in the game had a combined WAR of 2.1 for the last two seasons. If you want to argue that Neris can't repeat last season's performance that's perfectly fine, but it certainly didn't merit the level of condescension in your post since he was literally elite last season. 

Have you? Neris was an elite back end reliever/set up guy in 2023 and has been for most of his career.”

11 hours ago, interloper said:

Wouldn't say he's elite but he is definitely back end. 

11 hours ago, Malike said:

Inasmuch as every team has a front-end starter because someone has to start game 1 of the season.

I'm happy to have a conversation with you and defend my point, but I would appreciate it if you dialed back the snark and saved it for when it's actually justified. Hector Neris was literally elite last season.  See my below post. 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said: