MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah..everything is perfect. Didn’t you know that?  We won’t 100 games last year, so obviously we will do it again!

I’m not expecting the O’s to win 100 games again this year — that’s really hard to do — but if they do it, I’ll really enjoy dredging up all the snarky remarks like this one next fall.   

Elias will do his best to improve the Orioles with the constraints he has and using his own philosophy and judgment on how to improve the team.  We’ll see how that works out, but he’s had a lot of success the last two years and has a stacked talent pipeline, so I wouldn’t necesssrily bet against him.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not expecting the O’s to win 100 games again this year — that’s really hard to do — but if they do it, I’ll really enjoy dredging up all the snarky remarks like this one next fall.   

Elias will do his best to improve the Orioles with the constraints he has and using his own philosophy and judgment on how to improve the team.  We’ll see how that works out, but he’s had a lot of success the last two years and has a stacked talent pipeline, so I wouldn’t necesssrily bet against him.  

If they miss the playoffs or struggle to make it, are You going to go through all the comments about how everything is ok because we won 100 games?

Im sure you will be over that!

Perhaps the biggest factor is just not wanting to be a part of the whole LA thing. Toronto would be a much chiller enivronment.

But man. Passing up a near-100% chance of the playoffs every year? To have to slug it out with Baltimore and New York and Tampa? It just seems crazy to me. You're already set up in Anaheim, just mosey on over to the Dodgers. Get your half-bil and take your shot each year at the World Series. 

Edited by interloper

2023 O's set off an arms race in the AL East this year.

TOR has to make a move to be relevant.  NYY knows Stanton is an empty suit and Rodon isn't trustworthy.  BOS has some solid pieces, but they know the value of lockdown #1.  TBR is solid, but a bit in limbo. 

This means BAL has work to do like any other team, but the biggest improvements are still paying the RIP tax on Holliday, Mayo...  And finding a #2/#3 type SP.

The entire division is playoff-caliber.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they miss the playoffs or struggle to make it, are You going to go through all the comments about how everything is ok because we won 100 games?

Im sure you will be over that!

No, I’ll probably just sit there sobbing in the corner of my unlit basement.  

• Haha 1

https://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/threads/11343-Ohtani-Thread-Special-Sheriff-s-Edition/page75

Here's a Blue Jays board going nuts.     Like Carl Pavano being wined and dined at Oregon Ridge, they have banter Yusei Kikuchi's made a big dinner reservation, and that some fancy condos have been snapped up above market today.

The Jomboy video on page 75 there also has the detail December 8 is a day of luck in Japanese culture, and was the precise day he announced Angels in 2017.

https://www.mlb.com/news/shohei-ohtani-agrees-to-deal-with-angels-c263134146

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/threads/11343-Ohtani-Thread-Special-Sheriff-s-Edition/page75

Here's a Blue Jays board going nuts.     Like Carl Pavano being wined and dined at Oregon Ridge, they have banter Yusei Kikuchi's made a big dinner reservation, and that some fancy condos have been snapped up above market today.

The Jomboy video on page 75 there also has the detail December 8 is a day of luck in Japanese culture, and was the precise day he announced Angels in 2017.

https://www.mlb.com/news/shohei-ohtani-agrees-to-deal-with-angels-c263134146

Cubs message board is dejected.  

The Cubs are actually going to pursue Ohtani? - Page 42 - Chicago Cubs Talk - North Side Baseball