MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O’s aren’t going to pay $10 mm for a guy who hits well against 30% of the pitchers.  

I am not saying you are wrong but I think most of us are still trying to figure out why they paid Frazier $8 mm last year to end up in essentially a platoon role. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am not saying you are wrong but I think most of us are still trying to figure out why they paid Frazier $8 mm last year to end up in essentially a platoon role. 

I think both Elias and Hyde consider veterans a security blanket.  It's the main reason I'm skeptical about a large number of prospects making the ML club out of spring training and also any current vets except maybe Mateo or Urias getting traded this offseason. 

47 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Best case scenario for us is if Montgomery and Snell end up on teams like NYM, SFG, and LAA. Then hope Cease stays put in CWS. 

Gotta play that FA defense. 

Man to each their own but this attitude of worrying so much about your division rivals making moves, potentially overpaying for good but not great options, is baffling to me. Especially with the new format where there are fewer divisional games. I'd rather see both those guys go to NYY and BOS to potentially benefit us in the trade market.

• Upvote 1

https://nypost.com/2024/01/04/sports/mlb-free-agency-yankees-may-have-to-settle-to-fill-out-rotation/

Good summary on the market from Joel Sherman on the Yankees perspective here. He touches quite a bit on the trade market:

Bieber - available

Burnes - likely to be retained

Cease - WS potentially still stuck on "three premium prospects"

Marlins Pitchers (Cabrera, Garrett, Luzardo, Rogers) - available, Garrett/Luzardo will need to bring back MLB ready middle infield help

Mitch Keller - Pirates listening

Tarik Skubal - Tigers listening

Bryce Miller - Mariners listening

No mention on Framber Valdez. But it's very interesting to me that so many names are floated in the piece. I'd heard Keller and Skubal wouldn't be available. Skubal especially intrigues me if they think there's a good chance he stays healthy moving forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The Yankees initial visit to OPACY in 2024 is April 29-May 2 for a big 4-game series that for them will be near the end of a 17 games in 17 days stretch.     What have Nestor and Rodon got this season?

The Orioles April schedule is soft....can they make it so that Juan Soto's first (only?) season in pinstripes is looking tough by a month in.

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

https://nypost.com/2024/01/04/sports/mlb-free-agency-yankees-may-have-to-settle-to-fill-out-rotation/

Good summary on the market from Joel Sherman on the Yankees perspective here. He touches quite a bit on the trade market:

Bieber - available

Burnes - likely to be retained

Cease - WS potentially still stuck on "three premium prospects"

Marlins Pitchers (Cabrera, Garrett, Luzardo, Rogers) - available, Garrett/Luzardo will need to bring back MLB ready middle infield help

Mitch Keller - Pirates listening

Tarik Skubal - Tigers listening

Bryce Miller - Mariners listening

No mention on Framber Valdez. But it's very interesting to me that so many names are floated in the piece. I'd heard Keller and Skubal wouldn't be available. Skubal especially intrigues me if they think there's a good chance he stays healthy moving forward.

Feels like we just match up too good with the Marlins to not get something done with them. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Robbie Ray traded to the Giants..likely takes any of those young starters off the table we have discussed.  Great move for the Mariners.

That plus they’re trading for Luke Raley too. I think they’ve found their veteran bats. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Robbie Ray traded to the Giants..likely takes any of those young starters off the table we have discussed.  Great move for the Mariners.

Help me understand why that's a good deal for the M's - no snark here. On the surface it looks like they are trading a good veteran 32-yo SP under control until 2027 for a kind of washed up 33-yo Haniger and 33-yo DeSclafani who has amassed 120 IP over the last 2 years total. I know Ray had an injury season last year, but... you should at least be getting a prospect in this deal I would think. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Help me understand why that's a good deal for the M's - no snark here. On the surface it looks like they are trading a good veteran 32-yo SP under control until 2027 for a kind of washed up 33-yo Haniger and 33-yo DeSclafani who has amassed 120 IP over the last 2 years total. I know Ray had an injury season last year, but... you should at least be getting a prospect in this deal I would think. 

What does the money look like?

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Money