MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

The average date of birth of five core Orioles Bats and four core Dodgers Bats both fall in January.

Shohei-Mookie-Freddie-Smith have an average DOB of 1.19.1993, and will be 31 this month.

Adley-Gunnar-Mayo-Holliday-Basallo have an average DOB of 1.5.2002, and will be 22 this month.

Say its still a year early for us, but a 2025 World Series matchup would feature approximately 24-year-olds against 33-year-olds among the likely top players.

My guess today is the Dodgers have the best odds of any individual team to employ Juan Soto in 2025.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's crazy to me that fans get more upset about owners spending money than owners pocketing profits.

Fair point but I think it’s more about an uneven playing field and the David vs Goliath thing.   The Dodgers, Yankees, etc, can afford 300M payrolls while, even if Angelo’s spent everything, maybe the O’s could do 100-150M.   You can’t buy championships but it sure doesn’t hurt.  If there was a 150M floor and 200M cap (never happen) there would be a lot less complaining.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care if teams try. What the Dodgers are doing doesn’t even remotely bother me. It just doesn’t work.(at least in terms of titles..you can win games and win your division by doing it)

The Yankees have been trying to do it since Mussina…1 title since.

The Dodgers have been doing it for years and the only title they have to show for it isn’t a real title imo.  At least the Dodgers continue to produce good players but they are going away from that more and more.

The Mets have failed. 

The Rangers did it..sort of. DeGrom didn’t help them at all. Scherzer didn’t help them. Seager and Semien did.  I don’t consider signing Eovaldi to a 2 year deal as anything in terms of trying to buy a title. But they got major contributions from their in house guys and guys they traded for like an Adolis Garcia and Jordan Montgomery.

It’s just not a recipe for success.  Winning the offseason rarely, if ever, means you win the postseason.

Agreed on all points.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's crazy to me that fans get more upset about owners spending money than owners pocketing profits.

Why would someone be upset about a business making a profit?

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Fair point but I think it’s more about an uneven playing field and the David vs Goliath thing.   The Dodgers, Yankees, etc, can afford 300M payrolls while, even if Angelo’s spent everything, maybe the O’s could do 100-150M.   You can’t buy championships but it sure doesn’t hurt.  If there was a 150M floor and 200M cap (never happen) there would be a lot less complaining.

I think it's more about folks whining because it's another team.

I was in Germany at the time so I don't know, but was any Oriole fan complaining about how much Angelos was spending when the O's were #1 in payroll?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's more about folks whining because it's another team.

I was in Germany at the time so I don't know, but was any Oriole fan complaining about how much Angelos was spending when the O's were #1 in payroll?

Of course not.  It’s all about perspective.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course not.  It’s all about perspective.

I lend stuff like that no credence.  It's just sour grapes.

The spending in baseball isn't an actual issue.

Check back in with me if the Dodgers win 3 WS in a row or the Padres declare bankruptcy.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I lend stuff like that no credence.  It's just sour grapes.

The spending in baseball isn't an actual issue.

Check back in with me if the Dodgers win 3 WS in a row or the Padres declare bankruptcy.

So, the Dodgers and Yankees being able to afford 300M payrolls and other teams 100M isn’t an issue.  I don’t lose any sleep over it but I disagree.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care if teams try. What the Dodgers are doing doesn’t even remotely bother me. It just doesn’t work.(at least in terms of titles..you can win games and win your division by doing it)

The Yankees have been trying to do it since Mussina…1 title since.

The Dodgers have been doing it for years and the only title they have to show for it isn’t a real title imo.  At least the Dodgers continue to produce good players but they are going away from that more and more.

The Mets have failed. 

The Rangers did it..sort of. DeGrom didn’t help them at all. Scherzer didn’t help them. Seager and Semien did.  I don’t consider signing Eovaldi to a 2 year deal as anything in terms of trying to buy a title. But they got major contributions from their in house guys and guys they traded for like an Adolis Garcia and Jordan Montgomery.

It’s just not a recipe for success.  Winning the offseason rarely, if ever, means you win the postseason.

The only reason the spending isn’t a major issue is the extra Wild Card and playoffs being short series.  Could you imagine the affects if it was just 3 division winners and one Wild card team in each league.  The teams in the NL West are being told hey you can make the playoffs as a Wild Card team but sorry no need to play for your division.   I enjoyed playing for and winning the AL East championship the 4 teams in the NL West basically have 0 chance to hang a division title banner.    
I think there would be a lot different toon to some peoples thoughts if the Yankees were doing what the Dodgers were doing with spending.  It not in our league or division so some people are like who cares but if we were going into each season just playing for Wild cards there would be lot less excitement.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

So, the Dodgers and Yankees being able to afford 300M payrolls and other teams 100M isn’t an issue.  I don’t lose any sleep over it but I disagree.

I think other teams can afford 100M.  They choose not to.

Which isn't the same thing.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would someone be upset about workers getting raises?

I wouldn't be upset about that at all.

The objective of a business is to sustainably maximize profit.

The objective of a worker is to maximize return on their labor.

The place where these objectives voluntarily intersect is called market capitalism.

Neither objective deserves criticism.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The only reason the spending isn’t a major issue is the extra Wild Card and playoffs being short series.  Could you imagine the affects if it was just 3 division winners and one Wild card team in each league.  The teams in the NL West are being told hey you can make the playoffs as a Wild Card team but sorry no need to play for your division.   I enjoyed playing for and winning the AL East championship the 4 teams in the NL West basically have 0 chance to hang a division title banner.    
I think there would be a lot different toon to some peoples thoughts if the Yankees were doing what the Dodgers were doing with spending.  It not in our league or division so some people are like who cares but if we were going into each season just playing for Wild cards there would be lot less excitement.  

Who has the higher projected 2024 payroll the Dodgers or Yankees?

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

I wouldn't be upset about that at all.

The objective of a business is to sustainably maximize profit.

The objective of a worker is to maximize return on their labor.

The place where these objectives voluntarily intersect is called market capitalism.

Neither objective deserves criticism.

I agree, some folks don't.

* I fully embrace the owners right to maximize profits while preferring that players get a larger share.*

Edited by Can_of_corn