Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

3 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I know Passan said this, but that isn't how the salary cap works. The salary cap is whatever the per year average is over the length of the contract, not what they were actually paid that year. So it doesn't matter if it's 10M the first 5 years and 130M the next 5. The annual hit is 70M per year.

I think they mean actual money not cap money.

Just now, emmett16 said:

30MM Japanese televisions tuned in to watch him in WBC.  That's just Japan.  They are targeting all of Asia.  The Dodgers will be, by far, the most popular MLB team in the world.  That bodes well for after the contract expires also.  

I lived in Asia for almost a decade.  Let me tell you something:

Nobody gives a crap about Ohtani just because he's Asian.  That's not how it works.

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

When my wife and I went to the Orioles-Angels game in Sept, I would say at least 30% of the crowd there were Asians just there to see Ohtani.  So many jerseys of his were seen.  Lots and lots of Asian women too, not just men.  And the Angels at the time were terrible.  Sadly this was the day after he got hurt so he didn't even play. 

Considering the last time I went to a Dodgers game it was well over half Hispanic, I am sure the Dodger brass thinks he can more than make up for the contract just by drawing in the Asian crowd.  And they are probably right.   His worth at the box office from Asians paying to see him play is sky high.  Probably a good contract for both parties.

I splurged for tickets behind home plate to watch him vs. Grayson.  He almost hit for the cycle.  It will be a day my kids never forget.  I've never been so entertained at a baseball game in my life.  I hope he kills it for the Dodgers and helps continue to grow the game.  Best of Luck....except in the WS 😎

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

We'll have to see much is deferred, but 700 million is 700 million.

Does anybody feel better about the Davis contract because we only paid him 19 million in the first year, and he's receiving deferred payments?

Edit: Don't forget the luxury tax implications.  That 700 million is actually going to be a lot more than 700 million.  Likely it will be north of a billionn.

I'm sure the Angelos family does.

Also 700 million over 25 years is not the same at 700 million over 10.

There is a reason Lotto gives you a lot less if you want the lump sum.

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I know Passan said this, but that isn't how the salary cap works. The salary cap is whatever the per year average is over the length of the contract, not what they were actually paid that year. So it doesn't matter if it's 10M the first 5 years and 130M the next 5. The annual hit is 70M per year.

What? First what salary cap? Second any salary cap or luxury tax doesn't work how you described. Salary cap leagues are more complicated so I'll just mention the luxury tax.

Teams can spend X a year and get taxed %Y over X. Could be different tiers. The X is the actual spent that year. Using our Orioles as an example Chris Davis is counting towards our luxury tax threshold. Sure just $1.2 or whatever million but it counts. So the Dodgers deferment of money means they're moving that $70m a year around and beyond the 10 years. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I lived in Asia for almost a decade.  Let me tell you something:

Nobody gives a crap about Ohtani just because he's Asian.  That's not how it works.

Congrats.  Quick google search on WBC viewership tells a different story than your anecdote.    

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

When my wife and I went to the Orioles-Angels game in Sept, I would say at least 30% of the crowd there were Asians just there to see Ohtani.  So many jerseys of his were seen.  Lots and lots of Asian women too, not just men.  And the Angels at the time were terrible.  Sadly this was the day after he got hurt so he didn't even play. 

Considering the last time I went to a Dodgers game it was well over half Hispanic, I am sure the Dodger brass thinks he can more than make up for the contract just by drawing in the Asian crowd.  And they are probably right.   His worth at the box office from Asians paying to see him play is sky high.  Probably a good contract for both parties.

And there will be Japanese companies who will want to advertise at Chavez Ravine and during Dodgers television broadcasts. Ohtani is no doubt going to bring in more money just by his presence on the team that the Dodgers wouldn't have otherwise have made.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Congrats.  Quick google search on WBC viewership tells a different story than your anecdote.    

You think people in China are going to root for a Japanese baseball player because he's Asian?  You don't know what you're talking about.

People watched the WBC before Ohtani and they'll watch it after Ohtani.

Edited by Pickles

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You think people in China are going to root for a Japanese baseball player because he's Japanese?  You don't know what you're talking about.

People watched the WBC before Ohtani and they'll watch it after Ohtani.

Word.  Didn't realize Asia was confined to China.  Learn something new every day.  

Edited by emmett16

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

According to that CBS article it worked out to $327 MM in 'broad revenue' in 2022 alone.  I think they made out like absolute bandits.  

That study was highly, highly questionable and that "broad revenue" was not pocketed by the club, far from it.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Right, but in six years when he's a DH with a 125 OPS+, millions of Asians won't be going to see him, and there will probably be a new Japanese Superstar drawing the crowds.

Very possible.  But they will sell out every game now with him for the next 2-3 years at least.  Not that they weren't close to doing that before.