Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm surprised the prospect of going to another team unlikely to have many playoff appearances didn't scare him off, also. Doesn't seem like he cares much about a playoff/World Series legacy I guess. 

Because while the Jays are decent, they have two problems right now: they can't outspend the Yankees and Red Sox, and they can't outsmart the Rays and Orioles. 

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I don't think I'd call the Jay's decent.  They are a really good young team that underperformed last year.  They are going to be a PITA regardless of a potential Ohtani signing.  With Ohtani they are darn scary.  With that said, bring it on.  I like our guys ;) 

Yeah I agree with emmett16 that you are selling the Jays short here. They won ~90 games each of the last three years without Ohtani. They have at least two more years of a Vlad/Bichette/Springer core offense, and Gausman/Berrios/Bassitt rotation. 

They're not in as strong a position as the Dodgers (or Orioles) currently, but they're absolutely a top level team with Ohtani, and their starting point is closer to the Dodgers/O's than to the Angels. 

19 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Yep.  I posted this in another thread, probably should put in the Ohtani thread.

For Blue Jays owner Rogers, signing Shohei Ohtani is about more than just baseball | CBC News

Unlike every other American team, the Blue Jays broadcast every game to an entire country. Seaborn says that means Rogers can offer a bigger audience for baseball's biggest star.

Sounds like big plans for Ohtani as an employee of Rogers Communication.  

But they're Canadiens, ay! 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the Orioles were a true talent 101 win club and the Padres were a true talent 82 win team?

If you spend $250 million on your team, as the Jays did, and you flame out like that, and your biggest star at the time takes a big step back,  I'm going to call that team "decent" rather than "very good" and I think that's very fair.

1 hour ago, deward said:

Also, imagine how much additional revenue the Jays are going to rake in. They'll be fine.

Fishing around Wikipedia, there about as many Japanese/ people of Japanese descent in greater LA as there are in all of Canada.  So that’s not going to help merch sales.  But obviously he’s a big star and will sell plenty of tickets and jerseys.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fishing around Wikipedia, there about as many Japanese/ people of Japanese descent in greater LA as there are in all of Canada.  So that’s not going to help merch sales.  But obviously he’s a big star and will sell plenty of tickets and jerseys.  

He has an enormous following around the world, and fans fly in from as far away as Japan to watch his games. About 50 Japanese media members are credentialed to cover Ohtani on a full-time basis.

A study by a well-known Japanese economist found Ohtani's broad economic impact as a member of the Los Angeles Angels was around $337 million US in the 2022 season alone.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm sure plenty of Canadians on non-Japanese descent will be purchasing his jersey, etc.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So that's why my order of a Hyun-soo Kim jersey didn't go through back in the day, they realized I wasn't Korean.

I'd been wondering.

53 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He has an enormous following around the world, and fans fly in from as far away as Japan to watch his games. About 50 Japanese media members are credentialed to cover Ohtani on a full-time basis.

A study by a well-known Japanese economist found Ohtani's broad economic impact as a member of the Los Angeles Angels was around $337 million US in the 2022 season alone.

I’d love to understand that math.  According to Forbes’ report, the Angels’ entire revenue for 2022 was $371 mm and it’s total brand value was $334 mm.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/los-angeles-angels/?sh=41c9613a718a