Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Looks like Paxton is out, that should get things going if the 1 Year 12 Million is accurate. I also added Jakob Junis to this list, reluctantly. There's also a handful of "interesting" milb/small deal types out there, but nothing even sniffing #3 potential.

Hyun Jin Ryu - 1 Year 12 Million

Mike Clevinger - 3 Year 45 Million

Michael Lorenzen - 2 year 26 Million

Alex Wood - 1 year 13 Million

Trevor Bauer - 1 Year 6 Million

Jakob Junis - 2 Year 20 Million

My pick here is still Ryu, who, if fully healthy, has a little upside, and it's nice that he's left-handed. But it's probably tough to expect more than his 2021: 4.37 in 170 innings. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We need to change the thread title to Realistic Free Agent #5 pitchers

Yup, thats prettty much where we are at. Probably sign the most reliable depth piece that is comparable to our other pieces

It’s really too bad the O’s didn’t make any effort to sign Eduardo Rodríguez; operating under Angelos Jr’s budget is beyond frustrating for everyone. 4 year 80 sounded extremely reasonable then and seems extremely team friendly now compared to some of these other contracts handed out.

If healthy, and a big if, I can’t see anyone who is available and within the O’s price range other than Ryu who could pitch like a #3. Even then you’re banking on everything going right for Ryu in 24-25.

Very disappointing offseason so far; no doubt about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Fire this one back up w/ some new guesses

Hyun Jin Ryu - 1 Year 9 Million

Mike Clevinger - 1 Year 15 Million

Michael Lorenzen - 2 year 24 Million

Trevor Bauer - 1 Year League Min

Edited by ScGO's
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Fire this one back up w/ some new guesses

Hyun Jin Ryu - 1 Year 9 Million

Michael Lorenzen - 2 year 24 Million

Jakob Junis - 1 Year 8 Million

Junis recently signed with Brewers for $7MM.

Ryu is heading back to South Korea.  I'm only going 1 year deals on the final 3 on this list. Not much left beyond emergency depth AAAA starters after them

Michael Lorenzen - 1 year 14 Million

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

Ryu is heading back to South Korea.  I'm only going 1 year deals on the final 3 on this list. Not much left beyond emergency depth AAAA starters after them

Michael Lorenzen - 1 year 14 Million

The only problem is that none of these guys meet the criteria of the thread title. 

20 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

The only problem is that none of these guys meet the criteria of the thread title. 

Clevinger had a 3.3 WAR according to BBref. Tyler Wells was our next closest SP at 1.7. I’d say Clevinger is a #3 SP. He had a bounce back season. The 1/15 AAV contract might be a little too much. 

I think the wall would really help him. 50% FB rate last year. That works in our stadium.  

IMG_4978.png

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Clevinger had a 3.3 WAR according to BBref. Tyler Wells was our next closest SP at 1.7. I’d say Clevinger is a #3 SP. He had a bounce back season. The 1/15 AAV contract might be a little too much. 

I think the wall would really help him. 50% FB rate last year. That works in our stadium.  

IMG_4978.png

Looking at the pitch distribution and relative velocity of the different pitches. Is it odd that his slider, his second most frequently used pitch, is so much slower than his  changeup? And that the cutter and changeup are about the same, with the changeup a tick faster?