Marlins Pitching

truespectra

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't see how that can be said definitively.  

I added “I think”.  Of course it’s an opinion.  I just don’t think the Orioles would trade for the uncertainty of Edward Cabrera or pay the price for Luzardo.  I think it’s been Cease all along but if Getz won’t come off his price (someone on the WS posted a blurb suggesting he’s been asking for Mayo) then I think Elias might pivot to someone like Lorenzen  on a 1-year contract.

Edited by RZNJ

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I added “I think”.  Of course it’s an opinion.  I just don’t think the Orioles would trade for the uncertainty of Edward Cabrera or pay the price for Luzardo.  I think it’s been Cease all along but if Getz won’t come off his price (someone on the WS posted a blurb suggesting he’s been asking for Mayo) then I think Elias might pivot to someone like Lorenzen  on a 1-year contract.

Who knows what they're thinking.

I actually think trading prospect for prospect is a pivot that makes sense right now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think it’s been Cease all along but if Getz won’t come off his price (someone on the WS posted a blurb suggesting he’s been asking for Mayo) then I think Elias might pivot to someone like Lorenzen  on a 1-year contract.

I agree but not being able to get something done and having to settle for someone like Lorenzen would be a massive failure. You would think after how poorly he did at the deadline last season, Elias would take a bigger swing. I still think he is a good GM and the team will be in the mix this year no matter what but man, Kimbrel and Lorenzen after a 100 win season and no playoff wins would be a laughable outcome. 

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I agree but not being able to get something done and having to settle for someone like Lorenzen would be a massive failure. You would think after how poorly he did at the deadline last season, Elias would take a bigger swing. I still think he is a good GM and the team will be in the mix this year no matter what but man, Kimbrel and Lorenzen after a 100 win season and no playoff wins would be a laughable outcome. 

I’d be disappointed but I wouldn’t call it laughable.   Essentially, they’d have replaced Gibson with a similar pitcher and downgraded from Bautista.  But, Wells and Hall in the bullpen helps mitigate the downgrade to Kimbrel.   We also have Means which we didn’t have last year.  All the starting position players coming back with the Calvary still intact.    

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Norby?  Stowers?    Who?

IDK.  It would depend on what direction they went.

They should probably be looking to be Stowers, Vavra, etc. for low level lottery tickets.

However, there might be opportunities to go a class higher, and look to move the prospects like Norby, Ortiz, Cowser (?) for a higher ranked pitching prospect, perhaps even one that is major league ready.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

IDK.  It would depend on what direction they went.

They should probably be looking to be Stowers, Vavra, etc. for low level lottery tickets.

However, there might be opportunities to go a class higher, and look to move the prospects like Norby, Ortiz, Cowser (?) for a higher ranked pitching prospect, perhaps even one that is major league ready.

I don’t think Vavra and Stowers have much value.  When you say lottery tickets are we talking Michael Deson DSL lottery ticket or some 20-30 prospect in A ball.   I don’t think you’re getting a high ceiling type prospect back for either but it’s worth a try to get something.

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think Vavra and Stowers have much value.  When you say lottery tickets are we talking Michael Deson DSL lottery ticket or some 20-30 prospect in A ball.   I don’t think you’re getting a high ceiling type prospect back for either but it’s worth a try to get something.

I personally would take as high-risk, high-ceiling for guys like Norby or Stowers, who realistically have little future value to Baltimore.  So if that is 17 year old Dominicans, so be it.

Cease only has 2 years of control left, and Getz reportedly is asking for pitching prospects back in return- which we only have a few of. Garrett, for instance, has 5 years of control, had a better year last year than Cease, and the Marlins need a shortstop. We have a few (Ortiz) appealing infield prospects. It could be a good match. 

Imo we aren’t getting Cease. Getz seems to want the best prospect haul and Elias is not going to give it to him. 

Edited by truespectra

17 minutes ago, truespectra said:

Cease only has 2 years of control left, and Getz reportedly is asking for pitching prospects back in return- which we only have a few of. Garrett, for instance, has 5 years of control, had a better year last year than Cease, and the Marlins need a shortstop. We have a few (Ortiz) appealing infield prospects. It could be a good match. 

Again, if they’re going to trade a pitcher “who has a better year last year than Cease” with more control, why would you think the Marlins would ask for a 25 year old SS prospect who seemingly outside of O’s people he doesn’t seem as highly viewed as their top 3-4 guys, as a headliner. Pitching costs A LOT, especially young controllable starting pitching 

Edited by SoxFan3344

13 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

Again, if they’re going to trade a pitcher “who has a better year last year than Cease” with more control, why would you think the Marlins would ask for a 25 year old SS prospect who seemingly outside of O’s people he doesn’t seem as highly viewed as their top 3-4 guys, as a headliner. Pitching costs A LOT, especially young controllable starting pitching 

There is some pushing and pulling going on.  Our top 3 prospects are pretty much all considered top 25 prospects.   If we didn’t have those three teams would be more willing to accept Cowser, a top 50 guy on most lists, Ortiz, and a few other pieces.   It’s understandable that teams want one of the top three guys.  When another team steps in and offers to headline a deal with a top 25 prospect, let me know.

We are being treated differently than the Yankees when the #1 ask in that deal is Spencer Jones who most sites have rated lower than Cowser.  And, apparently, the Yanks wouldn’t include him.   Top pitchers cost a lot but top 25 prospects don’t come so easy other.    The 2022 Cease was a top pitcher.  I’d give up Mayo for that guy.   The 2021 and 2023 Cease was pretty good but no Mayo.

Luzardo should cost more than Cease.  Again we have enough, IMO, to get him without dipping into our top 3, but because we have those 3, teams are holding us to a different standard than other teams.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1