1/28 poll: will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts?

Frobby

Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?

• Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than our 5th starter options
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than our fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will trade for a pitcher who won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will sign a free agent starter but he won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • No, they won’t acquire a starter who makes 20+ starts

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/29/24 at 17:22

I decided to put part of this poll in very objective terms.  We can debate who’s a good starter, or an upgrade, or whatever, but 20+ starts either happens or it doesn’t.   So, what’s your take?   Have you given up, or do you still think we acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts?  And what quality?

Edited by Frobby

7 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think there's a great chance they trade for someone better than Kremer, but the prediction I'm most comfortable with is "better than our 5th starter options."

I have to believe they'll do something. They can't use all these prospects.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Better than Kremer ….hes our #3 starter. We will be lucky to get a guy to be a 5th starter that’s slightly better than what we have available now. Replacing Gibson was an Elias failure. The offseason is an Elias failure. Kimbrel is an old worn out shoe and Angelos is cheap. Neither is serious about winning a World Series. If they were they would’ve upgraded the team in some meaningful way. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Better than Kremer ….hes our #3 starter. We will be lucky to get a guy to be a 5th starter that’s slightly better than what we have available now. Replacing Gibson was an Elias failure. The offseason is an Elias failure. Kimbrel is an old worn out shoe and Angelos is cheap. Neither is serious about winning a World Series. If they were they would’ve upgraded the team in some meaningful way. 

Hey Elias is serious about a AAA championship and minor league system rankings at least lol

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Hey Elias is serious about a AAA championship and minor league system rankings at least lol

No doubt ….but he and ownership have no real interest in helping the team. Plus, he’s don’t nothing to clear the logjams in the IF & OF beyond letting a couple of free agents leave. 

Honestly, it might be time to turn the page.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No doubt ….but he and ownership have no real interest in helping the team. Plus, he’s don’t nothing to clear the logjams in the IF & OF beyond letting a couple of free agents leave. 

Honestly, it might be time to turn the page.

You’ve reached a new low but I have confidence in you.  I believe you can say something even more ridiculous.

• Downvote 1

The only option I don't see happening is signing a FA better than Kremer. Snell is out of our league and all the other options are equal to or worse than Kremer.

I picked no acquisition because I think it's the most likely of the remaining outcomes, but I would put the probability at lower than say 40%, meaning that I think they will do something, I just have no basis to predict any particular option as more likely than doing nothing.

If I had to guess, I think the move now is to trade Urias for a bullpen arm. 

Back to the poll. I went for a starter better than Kremer.   I don’t think they’ll pay the price for Luzardo but I think they’ll get Cease.  However, I don’t feel that confident (60/40) and think Lorenzen, if he’s still available, is the backup plan.  

Put me down for "I don't know". 

They could sign Lorenzen if he will comply with Elias terms.  I think he would have to begin the season in the pen because he probably will not be better that Wells in the 1st half.   Then be ready to start in the second half.   1/9m with a club option and a 1M buyout.  

They could still be in on Cease or with the Marlins after signing Lorenzen.    

They could just wait it out and trade after they see where they  are late in ST.  If Holliday is ready that could change who they would trade.

Or Elias could surprise us by trading for someone no-one is talking about.  RE: the Irvin trade

They could decide they are fine with what they have.

I don't know.

Edited by wildcard

Michael Lorenzen is probably the guy that gets signed. Sure, he’ll be marginally better than Irvin and more durable than Wells. But he won’t be good either. 

I think Elias walks away from the trade table. The asking prices for these guys are dumb and just because the O’s have a good farm, they need to pay more? That’s dumb and I’m sure would Elias agree. The right answer is to sign Montgomery. The answer we see is likely Lorenzen. 

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Back to the poll. I went for a starter better than Kremer.   I don’t think they’ll pay the price for Luzardo but I think they’ll get Cease.  However, I don’t feel that confident (60/40) and think Lorenzen, if he’s still available, is the backup plan.  

The problem is all he seems to  be able to obtain in a trade is projects. His addition to help at the deadline was a bust. Kimbrel isn’t the pitcher he was…do you dispute this?

@Frobby he is tasting the fruits of building the system and the international stuff. Plus some successful pick ups from the dumpster.

We have a logjam between the mid tier veterans and the MLB ready/ nearly ready guys. He’s done nothing to clear room for guys like Ortiz, Mayo, etc. and if he’s not going to give guys meaningful opportunities you might as well get something for them and allow them to get a shot elsewhere… Norby and Stowers. 

****Plus I’m tired of hearing about the cost of things and that he underestimated them. If you aren’t aware of the market and you’re a big league GM it’s just absurd. I would’ve been fine if they would’ve extended Gibson if they weren’t going to better him. I expect our top 3 to be fine ….but I’m not counting on Means (health)  and the gaggle of stuff currently at 5th starter.

Edited by Roll Tide

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

Michael Lorenzen is probably the guy that gets signed. Sure, he’ll be marginally better than Irvin and more durable than Wells. But he won’t be good either. 

I think Elias walks away from the trade table. The asking prices for these guys are dumb and just because the O’s have a good farm, they need to pay more? That’s dumb and I’m sure would Elias agree. The right answer is to sign Montgomery. The answer we see is likely Lorenzen. 

I think Lorenzen will put up a better ERA than Gibson or Flaherty.   He would be one of their top 8 in the pen if that is where he ended up.   He is a little better than Irvin as a swingman.  Irvin and Lorenzen would add to the pitching depth for both starters and mis/ong men.