Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

59 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They didn’t know Peter would pass away for one. I think it would not be that hard to delay the announcement if they wanted to. 

I'm pretty sure that Mr Angelos had taken a turn for the worse when this deal started. He may have hung on a little longer than they thought. Either way, I trust that MLB and the new ownership will handle everything with grace and respect for the family.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just want to point out that JA has the Orioles in a far better position than his father ever did.  101 win team, best farm system, new Latin American facility, tons of payroll flexibility.   Sure he’s a disingenuous guy, is terrible at PR and has pinched pennies, but he hired the right GM, bought into the recommended spending priorities, and let his GM do his thing with basically no interference.   Really, the only things Rubenstein can do better are to be more straightforward with the public and the media and give Elias a bigger bankroll.   But I’m really not that unhappy with JA.  He got us to where we are.  

Thank you. This was exactly the response I was going to give to that previous post.

I think having some congruence in the transfer is a good thing if John Angelos is going to assist the new people build a good working relationship with the people that he hired. Say whatever you will about him, the truth is that John Angelos hired some very good people to run the Orioles organization and bring them to the healthy point the Franchise is in right now. I think it's best that there is a smooth transition between John's group and David's group, and Angelos being around to answer any questions or provide any insight with the personnel that's established in the Orioles organization (and it's books) can be a positive.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Interesting take.

Regardless of how anyone feels it would make some sense to announce the approval Friday to give the Angelos family a final day as owners. 

I doubt the other Owners would reschedule the vote.

8 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I doubt the other Owners would reschedule the vote.

Oh, I think they absolutely would if the Angelos family requested it. But they didn’t.  The funeral ceremony is private and may have happened already.   

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not like they can’t still can’t honor Peter. They will and they should.

There is always an In Memoriam montage before the home opener. Hopefully people put their personal feelings about the Angelos family aside and STFU during the moment of silence.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

There is always an In Memoriam montage before the home opener. Hopefully people put their personal feelings about the Angelos family aside and STFU during the moment of silence.

Right.  I can’t wait for the family to have no association with the team but it’s not like the man being dead is something we should be cheering.  He lives a long, full life and did a lot of charitable things. That should be commended.

You can believe that and be glad the family will be out of our lives.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, One eyed Bird said:

JA would be great as a consultant, consult him and do exactly the opposite of what he recommends, damn sure to work. Or maybe JA could be in charge of media relations, his strong point.

I'm imagining something like this. 

In addition to wondering if Rubenstein will give a press conference, I’m wondering if he’ll do a booth interview on the Opening Day broadcast.  I’d really like to hear from him as soon as it’s appropriate for him to do it.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not like they can’t still can’t honor Peter. They will and they should.

Yea a fitting honor is appropriate they could have an ambulance drive in from the bullpen with a scum bag lawyer chasing after it waving his business card. all the while dragging along his 2 imbecile sons.  If not that then maybe Jon Miller, Davey Johnson, Brooks Robinson and Pat Gillick and a host of others could read letters of remembrance to ole Pete. Thats the Pete we know and love. RIP Pete 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

In addition to wondering if Rubenstein will give a press conference, I’m wondering if he’ll do a booth interview on the Opening Day broadcast.  I’d really like to hear from him as soon as it’s appropriate for him to do it.  

FYI. I don’t have a subscription so it’s behind paywall for me. Not sure how much he covers. 

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

FYI. I don’t have a subscription so it’s behind paywall for me. Not sure how much he covers. 

Sounds good. Especially the Elias part. If he can get him to stop signing poor 2B.