Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

Not to mention the many Owners over the years that didn't care about winning. The Red Sox Owner sold Babe Ruth to finance a Broadway show. Connie Mack said the best outcome was finishing second so he didn't have to give out raises. And on and on.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aside from his wealth, the other thing suggesting more spending is the extent to which Rubenstein has given away money to many public causes.   Peter Angelos did this too, but Rubenstein’s spending on public-minded projects dwarfs Angelos’s.  

To me the main reason I expect him to spend more, though not necessarily pump spending through the roof, is the degree to which John Angelos underspent.   Extremely low payroll, nickel-and-dime running of MASN, allegedly changing coaches to save money, etc.   Even if Rubinstein were just to increase the payroll to what would be average for the Orioles' market size and revenue, it would be a significant increase.   I believe Angelos knew for the last bunch of years that a sale was going to happen, and didn't see the point of making long term payroll investments because they would be obligations a new owner would have to be saddled with and might not want; nor did he want to spend on short term payroll because they wouldn't add value for a future owner.   So what did he spend on?  Farm system, international spending, infrastructure... things that didn't cost nearly as much as one mid-level free agent starting pitcher, but DID increase the long term value of the team which could translate into a bigger sale price for him and his family.   

So Angelos was keeping the team payroll artificially low for his own reasons, and it's reasonable to expect ANY new owner who is in it for the long haul to at least spend commensurate with our market size and potential revenue.   And I think Rubenstein is smart enough to see that.   So I expect payroll to increase significantly just because if was artificially low, regardless of Rubenstein's net worth or well known philanthropy.

[And I have already gotten tired of typing Rubenstein repeatedly, and then going back to make sure I spelled it right, or at least the same way every time.   Sometimes Peter Angelos was referred to as PGA, I wonder if we could use DMR to refer to our new owner.   Think it will catch on?]

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Every owner wants to win a championship.  It’s a matter of what they are willing and able to to do to make that happen.   I have no doubt John Angelos wanted to win.  

I have serious doubts that was a serious priority. He spoke about a lot of things while owner, I never heard him say one thing about winning a championship or even competing for a World Series.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I have serious doubts that was a serious priority. He spoke about a lot of things while owner, I never heard him say one thing about winning a championship or even competing for a World Series.

I don't have any doubts. I don't think it mattered to him. His Father wanted to win. That I have no doubt about.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Interesting take.

Regardless of how anyone feels it would make some sense to announce the approval Friday to give the Angelos family a final day as owners. 

I could see it, especially with Peter passing. It could go a lot of different ways, going to be interesting.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Interesting take.

Regardless of how anyone feels it would make some sense to announce the approval Friday to give the Angelos family a final day as owners. 

The Angelos and Peter can get a big hand and moment of silence on opening day as Peter is thanked for his contributions as owner and philanthropist and even John is thanked for passing the team on at one of it’s healthiest points in team history.   I don’t think even the most cynical anti Angelos fan can resist some applause and let everyone enjoy the moment.   It can be a big win for everyone.

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Interesting take.

If the owners cared about appearances then they would have scheduled the vote for Friday at the earliest. 

8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

If the owners cared about appearances then they would have scheduled the vote for Friday at the earliest. 

They didn’t know Peter would pass away for one. I think it would not be that hard to delay the announcement if they wanted to. 

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Interesting take.

Perhaps the Angelos family wants this over.   They could have delayed things if they wanted to.