Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

32 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

FYI. I don’t have a subscription so it’s behind paywall for me. Not sure how much he covers. 

On MASN:

“I am working on it,” Rubenstein said. “I just think it’s premature to say what the resolution will be but my goal is to take this away from the lawyers and give it back to the business people to resolve. So, I’m hopeful and I have reason to believe that I can get this done, but I’m not a miracle worker.

“It’s been going on for a long time but I think the commissioner of baseball would like to get this resolved. I think all the owners would like to get this resolved, and I would like to get it resolved. But I don’t have an easy answer yet. If it was easy, it would have been resolved of course, but I think it’s something I am really focused on and I think I have reason to believe that we can get something done.”

On Elias and Hyde:

"

Though he didn’t commit to a hard increase in spending or signing any immediate extensions of the team’s young stars, Rubenstein didn’t rule either scenario out. He later expressed that he hopes Elias will be a part of the organization “for a long time.”

“I’m going to rely on the best general manager in baseball and see what he recommends and I will follow his recommendations,” Rubsenstein said."

Misc:

"Rubenstein plans to attend the Orioles’ opening day game against the Los Angeles Angels on Thursday with plans for Ripken to throw out the first pitch. The Orioles also plan to hold a moment of silence for the victims of the Tuesday morning Francis Scott Key bridge collapse. Rubenstein spoke highly of Ripken, who joined his ownership group as a minority partner and “wants to get more involved” with the team after maintaining a distance from the team with which the Hall of Famer spent his entire 21-year career. Ripken will take on a community engagement role with hopes of drumming up more support as the Orioles take aim at making a deep playoff run this season."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

On MASN:

“I am working on it,” Rubenstein said. “I just think it’s premature to say what the resolution will be but my goal is to take this away from the lawyers and give it back to the business people to resolve. So, I’m hopeful and I have reason to believe that I can get this done, but I’m not a miracle worker.

“It’s been going on for a long time but I think the commissioner of baseball would like to get this resolved. I think all the owners would like to get this resolved, and I would like to get it resolved. But I don’t have an easy answer yet. If it was easy, it would have been resolved of course, but I think it’s something I am really focused on and I think I have reason to believe that we can get something done.”

On Elias and Hyde:

"

Though he didn’t commit to a hard increase in spending or signing any immediate extensions of the team’s young stars, Rubenstein didn’t rule either scenario out. He later expressed that he hopes Elias will be a part of the organization “for a long time.”

“I’m going to rely on the best general manager in baseball and see what he recommends and I will follow his recommendations,” Rubsenstein said."

Misc:

"Rubenstein plans to attend the Orioles’ opening day game against the Los Angeles Angels on Thursday with plans for Ripken to throw out the first pitch. The Orioles also plan to hold a moment of silence for the victims of the Tuesday morning Francis Scott Key bridge collapse. Rubenstein spoke highly of Ripken, who joined his ownership group as a minority partner and “wants to get more involved” with the team after maintaining a distance from the team with which the Hall of Famer spent his entire 21-year career. Ripken will take on a community engagement role with hopes of drumming up more support as the Orioles take aim at making a deep playoff run this season."

I think Rubenstein will be a good Owner. I felt this way since I first heard of the deal and I think it now. The proof is in the pudding but I have high hopes.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he’s behind Elias, that’s what matters the most.

Funny no one seems to feel that way about John Angelos who undeniably was letting Elias do it how he thinks it should be done. 

10 hours ago, Absltgreek said:

On MASN:

On Elias and Hyde:

"

Misc:

All he said sounds fine. But the bolded matters the most to me and probably to our ability to reach the potential of our competitive ceiling. I hope whatever obstacle/barrier that has exists that has caused us to miss out on so much talent acquisition (due to trying to keep the payroll as low as possible) ends with Rubenstein's arrival.

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Funny no one seems to feel that way about John Angelos who undeniably was letting Elias do it how he thinks it should be done. 

So you know for sure that Elias doesn’t want to spend more money?

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he’s behind Elias, that’s what matters the most.

Agreed, although I'm curious as the years pass whether we feel like it's really Elias that doesn't recommend spending, moreso than the owners. But that's a question for down the road. For now, it's great to hear Rubenstein call him the best GM in the game and that he's not going to fix what ain't broke.