Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Urias will play 2B and 3B if he’s here but he won’t be the primary player at either position.   Gunnar 130 starts at SS, 20 at 3B,  5-10 DH.  Holiday, 110 starts at 2B,  20 at SS.  Westburg  120 games at 3B,  20 at 2B.  Urias 20 games at 3B, 30 games at 2B.  Mateo 10 games at SS, ?? games in the OF.   Of course injuries have a way of changing things.

Glad you have it all figured out.  Now the players have to do it on the field.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So that is BA not MLB Pipeline?

They all do it.  It’s the lingua franca of scouting.  About the only national site I know of that gives both current and future grades for tools is Fangraphs.  If they don’t specify, they’re giving you future grades.  

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hardy was at SS.  Betemit was a poor 3B defensively.   That is what Manny played 3B.

Westburg is playing a good 2B giving Holliday competition to win the 2B job.   Let's see how both of them do.  Just because Elias says if Holliday makes the team he will play a lot of 2B does not mean Holliday is ready to beat out Westburg.   

I guess you're just not seeing it.  Westburg is not competing with Holliday for 2B.  Westburg is likely slotted to play 3B regularly.  He did a very competent job there last year.  Why is this so difficult?  Elias suggested that Holliday will see a lot of reps at 2B in his effort to make the team.  That has nothing to do with Westburg.....at least in my mind...unless you are under the illusion (or delusion) that Westburg is also competing for the 2B job.  If that's the case, you're not really understanding what's actually going on.

13 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I guess you're just not seeing it.  Westburg is not competing with Holliday for 2B.  Westburg is likely slotted to play 3B regularly.  He did a very competent job there last year.  Why is this so difficult?  Elias suggested that Holliday will see a lot of reps at 2B in his effort to make the team.  That has nothing to do with Westburg.....at least in my mind...unless you are under the illusion (or delusion) that Westburg is also competing for the 2B job.  If that's the case, you're not really understanding what's actually going on.

My crystal ball says that Wildcards next post will be, “Thanks, now I get it”.   Oops, hold on.  This thing is beginning to get cloudy.   BRB.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Hot shot to 3B.  Who catches it?   Palmer says Urias has Brooks like reflexes.   I didn't see that from Westburg last year.   That ball gets through too many times on Westburg.     I would love to wrong about that but its not what I saw last year.

Westburg says he needs to clean up his play at 3B.   

Westburg is much better at 2B IMO.  

I don't claim to know all the answers here.  That is what ST is for.   But I see competition.

Edited by wildcard

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't claim to know all the answers here.  

I saw the post 5 minutes ago but that’s how long it took me to get up off the floor to post a reply.   Thank you.

So we are questioning Westburg’s reflexes now?   LOL

Lots of back and forth on this thread, but my two take-aways

1. Crazy amount of optionality and flexibility with Gunnar/Holliday/Westburg and that does not even take into account future INF possibilities for Mayo and Norby. 

2. while I don’t see Gunnar getting displaced from SS given his tremendous arm and how much he improved last year, if Holliday does indeed play SS that must mean he is playing elite level defense (and not just above average which scouting reports have indicated. 

Edited by Say O!