Means behind schedule and won't be ready by opening day

Tony-OH

On 2/18/2024 at 10:29 AM, Frobby said:

I gave you a courtesy up vote, so now you’re even!

On the substance, I’m in agreement with wildcard.  Means hasn’t had any offseason setbacks that we know of, the O’s just chose to put him on a slightly delayed ramp-up schedule to be cautious.   I’m expecting him on the team by end of April.  

Means has become terribly fragile unfortunately so while I can understand why the Orioles are being so cautious with him, I share other's concerns that he's had all off season to rest and he's still behind schedule. 

I don't think we can project or expect too much from Means because his injury history tells us we should not put too many eggs in his basket. 

I look at anything he gives this year as icing on the cake. The Orioles need another starter IMHO.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nah, Wilson was a high 80s, low 90s guy who work off pitchability. Armbruester is a lot more like Wright in that he's a fastball, slider guy who can get it into the mid-90s but has no real outpitch against lefties and no consistent swing and miss pitch.

The most valuable thing about Ambruester currently is that he’s AAA depth that isn’t currently taking up a 40 man roster spot. 

Is the plan to start him in AAA?  Sometimes they go with a 6 man rotation in Norfolk. So that looks like McDermott, Povich, Zimmerman, Heasley, Suarez, Ambruester/Brnovich.

Would Ambruester’s stuff play up in relief?

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nah, Wilson was a high 80s, low 90s guy who work off pitchability. Armbruester is a lot more like Wright in that he's a fastball, slider guy who can get it into the mid-90s but has no real outpitch against lefties and no consistent swing and miss pitch.

I didn’t realize Armbruester had that much velocity.  

Anyway, Wright always struck me as a guy with middling command and not a very good head on his shoulders, a bit hotheaded and a guy who had trouble hiding his displeasure when a teammate made a mistake.  I’ve heard Armbruester interviewed and he seems to have the kind of growth mindset the Orioles like.   His stuff may be similar to Wright’s (and probably a tick below), but I won’t be surprised if he has more success, because I think his mental makeup is better.   Of course, I’m going off superficial impressions and could be completely wrong about that.  And, I’m definitely not saying I’m expecting Armbruester to be an impact player.   

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The most valuable thing about Ambruester currently is that he’s AAA depth that isn’t currently taking up a 40 man roster spot. 

Is the plan to start him in AAA?  Sometimes they go with a 6 man rotation in Norfolk. So that looks like McDermott, Povich, Zimmerman, Heasley, Suarez, Ambruester/Brnovich.

Would Ambruester’s stuff play up in relief?

It's probably about time to move Armbruester to relief now that he's close and could potentially add value in a Baumann type role if something were to happen to him and several others ahead of him.  

I don't see Armbruester as a starter at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyway, Wright always struck me as a guy with middling command and not a very good head on his shoulders, a bit hotheaded and a guy who had trouble hiding his displeasure when a teammate made a mistake.  I’ve heard Armbruester interviewed and he seems to have the kind of growth mindset the Orioles like.   His stuff may be similar to Wright’s (and probably a tick below), but I won’t be surprised if he has more success, because I think his mental makeup is better.   Of course, I’m going off superficial impressions and could be completely wrong about that.  And, I’m definitely not saying I’m expecting Armbruester to be an impact player.   

46. Justin Armbruester – RHP (AA/AAA): The big right-hander made his way to AAA in 2023 with mixed results after starting the year pitching in Bowie. Throws a 90-94 MPH fastball that touches 95 that can get some swing and miss at times, but when he catches too much of the plate he can get barreled up. He abandoned a poor changeup in favor is using a cutter this year and that has helped defend himself better against lefties. He throws both a slider and curveball with the slider being the more consistent offering though neither are consistent swing and miss pitches. He doesn't really have a go to strike out pitch and that will limit his major league effectiveness unless he develops one.

I think he would sit more 93-96 in relief and his fastball does have properties that help it play up a bit.

• Upvote 1

The Means injury made the last 3-4 spots in the bullpen wide open and guys that looked like deep depth could actually be in the mix of optionable arms. Like Ambruester. 

I know we want to keep everyone developing as SP, but McDermott, Povich, and Ambruester, could get called up and get a chance in the pen, because we need a fresh arm.

Ambruester seems like a guy that needs to ditch the two breaking balls and try for the sweeper instead. FB, Cutter, Sweeper. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I have projected that Means would miss 6 weeks of the season based on his history.   They are starting with him missing the first month so far.   

I still think he gives the O's 25 starts this year with an ERA under 4.00.

I wonder why we haven’t placed Means and Bradish on the 60 day IL?  We could retro it back to the first day of camp. It doesn’t seem like either one will be able to pitch in a single ST game and would give us two extra 40 man spots to play with during that time period. 

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wonder why we haven’t placed Means and Bradish on the 60 day IL?  We could retro it back to the first day of camp. It doesn’t seem like either one will be able to pitch in a single ST game and would give us two extra 40 man spots to play with during that time period. 

I don’t think you can do that. The 60 days start on OD. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I guess they either don't think Means will be out for 60  days or they aren't sure Bradish will be out for 60 days.   I don't think its been reported how bad Bradish's sprain is.   He has some kind on a tear but we don't know how bad.

I have heard over the years that just about every pitcher in the majors has something that shows up on imaging from pitching wear and tear.   Its a matter of can a pitcher pitch with it.   I think they are still figuring that out with Bradish.

Edited by wildcard

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

60 day IL began the first day of ST.   Bautista has already been placed on it.  Check the 40 man roster on Orioles.com

You can place a guy on the 60-day during the spring but the 60 days doesn't start until OD. That's my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

You can place a guy on the 60-day during the spring but the 60 days doesn't start until OD. That's my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that is right.  Placing a player on the 60 day IL during ST frees up a 40 man roster spot but he will not be eligible to return to the 40 man roster until 60 days after OD is my understanding.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

I disagree on Wright. I have spoken to him and his sister a few times. He was having some personal issues with his mom that might have affected him emotionally at times. 

Our Story | Wright State of Mind
https://wrightstateofmind.org/our-story

Edited by Going Underground
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think that is right.  Placing a player on the 60 day IL during ST frees up a 40 man roster spot but he will not be eligible to return to the 40 man roster until 60 days after OD is my understanding.

Okay because Means is supposed to be back by end of April and they’re hoping Bradish is back by mid-May so putting them on the 60-day IL makes no sense.