PNC Park

Big Mac

I'm going to catch the O's there the first Saturday and Sunday in April.  Have to be (somewhat) in the area for a conference that Thursday and Friday, so figured I'd take a detour on the way home.  Anyone have any good recommendations?  I already have the Roberto Clemente Museum and Forbes Field Wall on my list, but would leave to hear if anyone else has been to that ballpark or spent time in Pittsburgh!

First of all it's one of the most beautiful ballparks in the majors.   Beautiful view of the river and bridge and city skyline.

If you like craft beer there's a great bar called Mikes right beyond the left field stands that has a great tap list with lots of local Pittsburgh beers.   (Best breweries are Dancing Gnome and Hitchhiker and they aren't too far apart).

Guess you have to do the Pittsburgh thing and get a sandwich at a Primanti Brothers (or just wait for the one that's going to open on Nursery Road near BWI in a few months).  Honestly there's a great little neighborhood sandwich shop called Peppi's a few blocks away from the ballpark that is actually as good as any hole in the wall sandwich spot you will ever find.   And it's about a block from a Greek owned breakfast place called Lindo's that is really great too.   Have a couple of meals there and you can't go wrong nor will it cost you very much.

Worth noting that the total solar eclipse is Monday afternoon and it passes through Cleveland and Erie, so less than an hour from Pittsburgh.   But in the wrong direction if you are heading home.  

A Pirate fan friend of mine who lives in Raleigh and I talked about maybe going up for the Saturday and Sunday games, but we haven't finalized those plans.   It's one of those things you talk about in a bar in the middle of winter that sounds great but do you actually wind up going through with it?   So I don't know.

• Thanks 1

I've been to several games at PNC. Absolutely beautiful ball park. Outside of the normal Pittsburg stuff, Primanti Brothers etc... there are several good Irish pubs in the area if you like pubs. Also, Pittsburgh is one of the few places that some folks actually tailgate for a baseball game. I assume that the Saturday game is a night game? The views at night of the skyline across the river are stunning. There is a riverwalk inside the stadium that you should go on. You wouldn't know it was there unless you go beyond the right and centerfield areas. 

• Thanks 1