The Kjerstad/Cowser spring competition

Frobby

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I generally agree with this approach, and have said as much.   By the way, back in November I researched how many PA past Orioles contenders had given to rookies.   It varied a lot but there were five O’s contenders who gave rookies 1000+ PA, including last year’s team (1,073).   The 1960 Orioles gave 1,797 PA to rookies, topping the list.  

This team should go way past 1000 if Holliday or Mayo make the team out of OD. 

The one thing that I feel people still overlook is that the Os have a lot of current players that just shouldn’t play everyday. We want to force these guys in the lineup a lot because “we like them” and they “have been through a lot”, etc…

But at the end of the day, they just aren’t good enough players to play every day or they get banged up as a result of playing too much. It’s really as simple as that. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This team should go way past 1000 if Holliday or Mayo make the team out of OD. 

The one thing that I feel people still overlook is that the Os have a lot of current players that just shouldn’t play everyday. We want to force these guys in the lineup a lot because “we like them” and they “have been through a lot”, etc…

But at the end of the day, they just aren’t good enough players to play every day or they get banged up as a result of playing too much. It’s really as simple as that. 

I could see 1000+ happening between Cowser, Holliday, Mayo, and Kjerstad. Cowser can essentially give days off to Mullins, Hays, Santa, and O’Hearn. He’s essentially what Holliday will be in once he is called up. He’ll be in a rotation. Cowser could really help this team with just defense at 3 spots and a .725 OPS. Both of which should be achievable. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I could see 1000+ happening between Cowser, Holliday, Mayo, and Kjerstad. Cowser can essentially give days off to Mullins, Hays, Santa, and O’Hearn. He’s essentially what Holliday will be in once he is called up. He’ll be in a rotation. Cowser could really help this team with just defense at 3 spots and a .725 OPS. Both of which should be achievable. 

Basallo stands a good chance to get some at bats too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think you have to platoon as much as the team should just play a lot of different players until these guys establish themselves. Hays, Mullins and Santander’s days are numbered. Mountcastle is likely as well.

But as you pointed out, it’s not guarantee the younger players just come in and outperform them(or as well)

However, that doesn’t mean you don’t start playing these kids either. They don’t have anything left to prove in the minors (well maybe Holliday does..maybe) but the others don’t. Having them languish in the minors when they aren’t really being challenged isn’t that helpful either.

So, do both. Have them up here and play 3-4 times a week. If they perform, they take more and more time away from the vets. If not, they keep working at it up here and the vets hold onto the majority of the playing time.

The problem is you only get 13 spots. Right now it's hard to see how you could fit both Kjerstad and Cowser on the roster without an injury or trade. As it is, for either of them to make the roster, Mateo has to be the defensive OF guy (which is OK, since Hays and it seems Cowser could also be adequate defensive subs, as well as Westburg).

Adley McCann Mountcastle O'Hearn Gunnar Urias Westburg Mateo = 8 spots 

Mullins Hays Santander = 3 spots

That leaves two spots. Holliday or Maton/Wong gets one. 

I just don't see a way to fit both Kjerstad and Cowser without an injury or move.

Still, one of Kjerstad/Cowser can play the Hicks 3-4x per week role with the other being the next man up. There will be struggles and there will be injuries and both will get to play that role at times, maybe more. If Kjerstad and Cowser have success in their opportunities, they may well push Hays to the 5th OF spot, or O'Hearn to AAA, but I don't think we make those moves prematurely.

I think both get 300+ AB's this year but they don't have to make the opening day roster for that to happen. Will be interesting to compare the end of year AB's for Cowser, Kjerstad, O'Hearn, and Mountcastle. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

The problem is you only get 13 spots. Right now it's hard to see how you could fit both Kjerstad and Cowser on the roster without an injury or trade. As it is, for either of them to make the roster, Mateo has to be the defensive OF guy (which is OK, since Hays and it seems Cowser could also be adequate defensive subs, as well as Westburg).

Adley McCann Mountcastle O'Hearn Gunnar Urias Westburg Mateo = 8 spots 

Mullins Hays Santander = 3 spots

That leaves two spots. Holliday or Maton/Wong gets one. 

I just don't see a way to fit both Kjerstad and Cowser without an injury or move.

Still, one of Kjerstad/Cowser can play the Hicks 3-4x per week role with the other being the next man up. There will be struggles and there will be injuries and both will get to play that role at times, maybe more. If Kjerstad and Cowser have success in their opportunities, they may well push Hays to the 5th OF spot, or O'Hearn to AAA, but I don't think we make those moves prematurely.

I think both get 300+ AB's this year but they don't have to make the opening day roster for that to happen. Will be interesting to compare the end of year AB's for Cowser, Kjerstad, O'Hearn, and Mountcastle. 

No, they can’t fit them both in all likelihood, unless they do the smart thing and make some trades, which they should have done already.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

As of yesterday's game (2/29):

Cowser - 3-for-6 with 2 HR, 3 BB, and 2 K (and 1 SB)
Kjerstad - 2-for-14 with 0 XBH, 0 BB, and 4 K
Stowers - 3-for-12 with 2 HR, 1 BB, and 4 K

I think Cowser also got plunked.  So in terms of PA, it’s 14 Kjerstad, 13 Stowers, 10 Cowser.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Kenny Rogers' secret ro surviving is knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep because every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser...  

We also know Elias isn't a gambler.  Turning over a significant chunk of the roster doesn't fit the MO given the Rookie Tax.  Some changes will happen.  So the direction is right.  But I'm not sure on the degree.

2023 was awesome.  These guys would add value on nearly every team.

Just now, btdart20 said:

Kenny Rogers' secret ro surviving is knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep because every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser...  

We also know Elias isn't a gambler.  Turning over a significant chunk of the roster doesn't fit the MO given the Rookie Tax.  Some changes will happen.  So the direction is right.  But I'm not sure on the degree.

2023 was awesome.  These guys would add value on nearly every team.

Zero people have talked about turning over a significant chunk of the roster unless you think 2 players is significant.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Basallo stands a good chance to get some at bats too.

I'll be very, very surprised if that happens in 2024. Maybe if he's tearing up AAA and Adley gets hurt.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Zero people have talked about turning over a significant chunk of the roster unless you think 2 players is significant.

If it's Urias and O'Hearn, not so much. If it is two of your core guys (say, two Hays, Santander, and Mountcastle) I would call that significant. There is some risk there if Cowser comes up and looks as bad as he did last year for longer. You are looking at trying to replace 4-5 WAR with rookies. That isn't so easy to do.

8 minutes ago, deward said:

I'll be very, very surprised if that happens in 2024. Maybe if he's tearing up AAA and Adley gets hurt.

If healthy, he will be in AAA by mid June. By the end of August, he will have gotten plenty of AAA at bats and if he is performing well and the Os need a bat, there is no reason for him not to get the call.

Now, that is a lot to have to happen..he has to be healthy, hit well and the Os have to have a need.  Obviously you never know about health but I don’t think performance is going to be an issue.

So, for me, it comes down to health and need.