Forget 300 wins, how many pitchers will reach 200 wins?

Sports Guy

The buzz after the latest HoF election round previewing CC Sabathia is he's trending towards a lock, which is good.

The career end numbers of everyone in the Third Time through the Order penalty era are going to be far lower, but the top couple percent of achievers should rate this honor even if they have 96 career Wins, and 1400 career innings pitched.

Kevin Gausman leads all Arms born in 1991 (i.e., guys who are 33 this year and their shoulders are too tired to complete Spring Training), and he has 23 career rWAR.

No Arms born in 1997 or later (i.e., guys who are prime 27 this year) have attained 10 rWAR.    Thirty odd years ago Mike Mussina had 23 through his age-26 season.

Guys like Zack Wheeler and Corbin Burnes don't seem like Hall of Famers but perhaps they ought to.

Is Stephen Strasburg a Hall of Famer?    Madison Bumgarner?

Edited by Just Regular

I remember when Mussina was nearing the end of his career people were knocking his HoF case for not winning 300 games.  I said then that I wasn’t sure any pitcher behind him would reach Mussina’s 270.  So far, nobody has, though Verlander has a good shot.

I’d still bet on Cole to get to 200.   

On 3/14/2024 at 10:04 AM, Just Regular said:

How many Wins for Grayson Rodriguez in the next 6 years?

In the post-Mussina era, no pitcher has won more than 74 total games for the Orioles (Chris Tillman).   So there’s your bogey.  

Fingers crossed this decade we get to see Grayson challenge the limits of what is attainable in this odd little stat as we heard towards the 2nd quarter of the century.

Yamamoto, Strider, Kirby perhaps the chief rivals - we'll see if Jobe or Skenes really pop, Sasaki some number of years behind.

Bummed Eury Perez now reported with elbow beyond the fingernail that had been nagging at him.

Run Prevention is strong in baseball thanks to the hedge fund managers and the Arm Barn, so there's got to be Hall of Famers in here somewhere.