I hate mid-majors and lesser conferences

Pedro Cerrano

The Carolina and Duke fans come through with back to back solid posts. A couple of Maryland fans are the ones whining. Seems like perhaps a couple people are just worried their mid-level program might miss out on the dance.

I think there's some truth to that. And I already posted my opinion on that particular subject in here.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed, how many 15s have won? I can count 4 by memory, Hampton, Coppin, Richmond, and Santa Clara.

I know that plenty of 14s and 13s have won, even getting to the Sweet 16.

I would like to see 8 teams added as well. Good idea.

Good memory! Those are the only 4.

How would you format the tournament if you added 8 teams?

As long as it doesn't make conference champions play in play-in games I'm all for it.

I'd LOVE it if they made it a play-in game for the last however many at-large teams. Let the bubble teams show they can perform when the need to to get into the dance.

Seconded on your petition!

Anyways, no worried for MD about the CAA this year. The league isn't getting an at-large bid, just didn't do enough in OOC play. The tournament is gonna be great this weekend though. JMU needs to get by W&M Friday night to get a shot at Mason in the Quarters. I'd LOVE to knock them off on Saturday evening. That would be sweet!

Memphis is another team MD fans really need to root for as well. I'd throw Xavier/Dayton in as well. And might as well root for Siena, Davidson, Utah State etc to win theirs as well just so the committee isnt tempted to put them in.

And I root for any ACC bubble team to make the tournament (unless they are playing UVA, or UVA is on the bubble and them losing would help us out). I'm holding out hope for 9 teams in the tournament. That would be unprecedented and show how good this league really is.

They're both in regardless. I hear you on Memphis, but they won't lose. Davidson and Utah State are valid points, but I do think both will win their conferences.

I think there's some truth to that. And I already posted my opinion on that particular subject in here.

I know, definitely not grouping all MD fans together at all.

Just saying the two in here complaining are MD fans, and I think that might be the reason they feel the way they do.

They're both in regardless. I hear you on Memphis, but they won't lose. Davidson and Utah State are valid points, but I do think both will win their conferences.

I'm saying root for them to win their conference tournaments so someone else doesnt win it and take up an at-large bid. Agreed XU and Dayton are both in.

Davidson, USU, Siena all shouldn't get at-large bids in my opinion, but since the committee will certainly consider them, MD fans might as well root for them to go ahead and win their tournaments to take that choice away.

I know, definitely not grouping all MD fans together at all.

Just saying the two in here complaining are MD fans, and I think that might be the reason they feel the way they do.

I was harping on this even when MD was a perennial top 4-5 seed. MD's status this year has nothing to do with how I feel about this issue (although it probably helped motivate me to compose the OP).

Agreed, how many 15s have won? I can count 4 by memory, Hampton, Coppin, Richmond, and Santa Clara.

I know that plenty of 14s and 13s have won, even getting to the Sweet 16.

I would like to see 8 teams added as well. Good idea.

Plus there have been 16-seeds that have had great first-round games and got far closer than they should.

Something I just thought about: the whole idea behind the seeding system is to keep the "inferior" champions (like the Delaware State scenario) in low seeds and playing the best teams. If the "good" team can't beat them, that's on that team.

Good memory! Those are the only 4.

How would you format the tournament if you added 8 teams?

As long as it doesn't make conference champions play in play-in games I'm all for it.

I'd LOVE it if they made it a play-in game for the last however many at-large teams. Let the bubble teams show they can perform when the need to to get into the dance.

Maybe add more bubble teams and give the 1s and 2s a bye. I agree to let the winners play "for real". Would that work?

Plus there have been 16-seeds that have had great first-round games and got far closer than they should.

Something I just thought about: the whole idea behind the seeding system is to keep the "inferior" champions (like the Delaware State scenario) in low seeds and playing the best teams. If the "good" team can't beat them, that's on that team.

Best post in the thread, can't believe I havent made this point yet.

To say they shouldn't have a chance to even be in the tournament is ridiculous to me.

Maybe add more bubble teams and give the 1s and 2s a bye. I agree to let the winners play "for real". Would that work?

Not sure how you give the 1's and 2's a bye but have the "play-in" games be bubble teams.

I like the idea of getting more bubble teams in, hell, I'd like to think UVA will be on the bubble next year. Just don't want to make all the 16 seeds play "play-in" games.

I'm saying root for them to win their conference tournaments so someone else doesnt win it and take up an at-large bid. Agreed XU and Dayton are both in.

Davidson, USU, Siena all shouldn't get at-large bids in my opinion, but since the committee will certainly consider them, MD fans might as well root for them to go ahead and win their tournaments to take that choice away.

They usually do take a Utah State type, and Utah State could be this year's Utah State.

Not sure how you give the 1's and 2's a bye but have the "play-in" games be bubble teams.

I like the idea of getting more bubble teams in, hell, I'd like to think UVA will be on the bubble next year. Just don't want to make all the 16 seeds play "play-in" games.

Me neither, but I agree that the Delaware State types should be in for real. But if there are 72 teams or whatever, there would be no play in scenario. It's just a 72 team deal now.

They usually do take a Utah State type, and Utah State could be this year's Utah State.

Ha. Yeah, agreed, I just don't think any of those teams deserve it this year.

I mean Creighton is probably the closest to me, they had some wins OOC over New Mexico, Dayton, George Mason, but I'm not sure I'd even put them in because the Valley was weak this year.

Ha. Yeah, agreed, I just don't think any of those teams deserve it this year.

I mean Creighton is probably the closest to me, they had some wins OOC over New Mexico, Dayton, George Mason, but I'm not sure I'd even put them in because the Valley was weak this year.

Creighton deserves it, regardless. They really struggled early this year and came on strong. Plus, they are a "name" team as far as the smaller teams go. Maryland fans would be wise to pull for them even though you're right that the Valley is weak. A few years ago, Bradley and Wichita both made the Sweet 16, so they're always on the radar with the committee.

Archived