I hate mid-majors and lesser conferences

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you. Now I know the error of my ways. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :rolleyes:

Nobody has ever said the point of the tournament was to reward the 64/65 best teams on paper. The goal is and always should be to reward teams who have played their way into it. Like it or not, the Atlantic Sun and SWAC and whatever other conference's tournament champion will have earned their way into it. I suppose that's where you and I differ in opinion. The Atlantic Sun, etc... conference tourney championship is not proof of merit to you, while I would argue that any championship at the Division I level is worth a tourney bid. Why would these teams bother playing under the Division I umbrella otherwise? Sure, a team like G-Town has played a tremendously tough schedule, but what have they done with it?

I suppose I'm ultra-touchy on this subject given that my school is competing this year as a top seed in a conference tourney for their first ever NCAA bid. Should they make it into the tourney I think they have a team that will be very competitive in their opening round game. When people argue that the team I've followed night in, night out for the past 4 months doesn't belong there at all, I find it ignorant. This is a chance for glory and national recognition for schools that spend much of the time out of the limelight. It would be a tremendous honor for my university to be represented in this tournament. Finally then, some people might actually know we exist. Why rain on the parade?

Good luck to your team. (which school is it by the way so I can root them on in their conference tourney)

Exactly the point I made in my last post as well, the added exposure is huge for following years OOC games and getting recruits.

Mason is ranked number #1 for all mid major schools next year for recruits and 26th overall with the 25 teams in front of them from major conferences plus Memphis. If Mason doesn't have great success in the 05-06 tournament, this wouldn't be possible. Having a great 07-08 season minus the Notre Dame game helps Mason to continue to add great players to the school.

Because I want G-Town in the tourney doesn’t mean they deserve to be in it. I’m not going to repeat everything I said in my previous post but you’re correct, yes they have the #1 toughest schedule but that doesn’t mean you should get a pass for not finishing games and losing 7 of 8 at one point. Since they beat Nova now they have a chance to make a strong case for an at large bid if they can win their last 2. That would make them 8-10 in the Big East with wins over a then #8Cuse, #15 Memphis, at No. 2 Connecticut, at No. 12 Villanova and wins over other bubble teams like Providence and the Terps thrashing. Unfortunately, as I type this the Hoyas are 11th in the Big East so hopefully Notre Dame loses to Nova. If Gtown makes it great but if not, they had their chances despite the #1 strength schedule and should of took care of business when they had their opportunities.

Great paragraph, and it sums up why Pedro and Ravenbird are completely wrong about this.

As a fan of a mid-major and a high major team, I feel that I can see it from both sides.

But, there I cannot fathom not having the conference champs in the NCAA Tournament.

Who is your team, I'll root for them in their conference tourney. If they aren't in the CAA, root for my Dukes of JMU in the CAA Tournament!

Boo, Go Patriots!:D See you in the quarter finals. We can talk about this in the CAA thread.

I think the tournament is perfectly fine as it is. The only thing I would do, as people have already said, is give the "play in game" for the last 2 at-large teams to get in.

That would really be one of the most exciting games of the year, would be great if they did this. I could also see the team that wins this game just going in the NCAA's with a whole bunch of momentum and be able to make a run.

This is actually a good thread, I like the debate here.

Personally I'm kinda torn. As a UMBC fan and alum, I love Championship week because it gives us the opportunity to make the dance as we did last year. That was an incredible experience.

However, for me it felt a little bit weird as I was standing in Looney's with all of my Retriever garb on. I knew we weren't the 62nd best team in the country and to be honest....it felt a little unfair.

The system is probably the best right now because it means so much to many schools across the country and it's really a great event.

I wouldn't change it but I certainly understand your argument Pedro.

Within the last 10 years, my team has been the "victim" of two huge upsets. And I have to be honest, looking back now, I think it was great. I can't imagine the feeling that fans and alumni of those schools have when they win a game like that in the tournament. The "magic" of those upsets is why people love the NCAA tournament. Bucknell over Kansas is so memorable, and I wouldn't change a thing.

People get all up in arms on our board when Duke is on all the time, Carolina and Duke get all the calls, blah, blah, blah. Well, seeing a school like Belmont almost beat Duke is why the world fell in love with College Basketball. The Davidsons and George Masons of the world are what it's all about. I love every second of it every year.

Let's remember something...The only seed to never win a game is the 16 seed and I bet that happens sometime in the next 5 years...For example, I see Lunardi projecting Bowling Green as a 16 seed right now...I know the MAC isn't as good as it has been before but still, that isn't some crappy conference and that could be a dangerous game to play.

There are a lot of solid 15 seeds now and because of that, there will be some solid 16 seeds...Its not like it used to be...There are maybe 2 or 3 real gimme games per tourney and that's about it anymore.

Let's remember something...The only seed to never win a game is the 16 seed and I bet that happens sometime in the next 5 years...For example, I see Lunardi projecting Bowling Green as a 16 seed right now...I know the MAC isn't as good as it has been before but still, that isn't some crappy conference and that could be a dangerous game to play.

There are a lot of solid 15 seeds now and because of that, there will be some solid 16 seeds...Its not like it used to be...There are maybe 2 or 3 real gimme games per tourney and that's about it anymore.

Speaking of the MAC, I was looking at the standings and in one division every team is over .500, and in the other one, every team is under .500. Weird.

I agree with what you said here, but am not sure we'll see a 16 over a 1 anytime soon.

The Carolina and Duke fans come through with back to back solid posts. A couple of Maryland fans are the ones whining. Seems like perhaps a couple people are just worried their mid-level program might miss out on the dance.

Not to sound like an elitist jerk here, but maybe Rob and I have a different perspective given that our teams aren't "bubble" teams. Who knows.

Not to sound like an elitist jerk here, but maybe Rob and I have a different perspective given that our teams aren't "bubble" teams. Who knows.

No, I think you do, and I don't think you sound elitist.

Maryland is on the bubble. If they just took the Top 65 teams, they would get in. All the "little conferences" are keeping Maryland out of the tournament.

Well, well, if we took the Top 120 teams UVA would get in! I think we should double the size of the field and take the Top 120 or so teams. That would help my team out and get us in the tournament, so it's totally the most fair way to do it. :rolleyes:

Speaking of the MAC, I was looking at the standings and in one division every team is over .500, and in the other one, every team is under .500. Weird.

I agree with what you said here, but am not sure we'll see a 16 over a 1 anytime soon.

Well, with the play-in game, one of the MEAC and SWAC teams are always going to be eliminated, so that will help things some in terms of giving a 16 seed a chance.

But the MEAC has had some success..Coppin and Hampton against 2 seeds.

And Morgan ST beat MD this year...MD has beaten 2 of the best teams in the country this year.

You just never know.

The idea of a 16 seed winning is much more possible right now than it ever has been.

If the 13-16 seeds were totally not competitive year in and year out, I would probably be on Pedro's side here.

But the fact is that they usually are.

Now, I am a proponent of more teams in the tourney....The field went to 64 teams in I believe 1985....The amount of D1 schools has grown tremendously since then...I am not advocated a lot more teams...Just 8 or so but I do think there should be more.

No, I think you do, and I don't think you sound elitist.

Maryland is on the bubble. If they just took the Top 65 teams, they would get in. All the "little conferences" are keeping Maryland out of the tournament.

Well, well, if we took the Top 120 teams UVA would get in! I think we should double the size of the field and take the Top 120 or so teams. That would help my team out and get us in the tournament, so it's totally the most fair way to do it. :rolleyes:

I root for Maryland to an extent, and think they should be in over Miami and Virginia Tech. Gonzaga, Creighton, and maybe VCU/Mason are the conferences Maryland has to worry about in my opinion. Maybe the BYU/Utah one too, but i think if the Terps win tomorrow and at UVA, they'll be fine.

Maybe we can petition the NCAA just to allow Virginia in every year regardless of record. ;)

If the 13-16 seeds were totally not competitive year in and year out, I would probably be on Pedro's side here.

But the fact is that they usually are.

Now, I am a proponent of more teams in the tourney....The field went to 64 teams in I believe 1985....The amount of D1 schools has grown tremendously since then...I am not advocated a lot more teams...Just 8 or so but I do think there should be more.

Agreed, how many 15s have won? I can count 4 by memory, Hampton, Coppin, Richmond, and Santa Clara.

I know that plenty of 14s and 13s have won, even getting to the Sweet 16.

I would like to see 8 teams added as well. Good idea.

I root for Maryland to an extent, and think they should be in over Miami and Virginia Tech. Gonzaga, Creighton, and maybe VCU/Mason are the conferences Maryland has to worry about in my opinion. Maybe the BYU/Utah one too, but i think if the Terps win tomorrow and at UVA, they'll be fine.

Maybe we can petition the NCAA just to allow Virginia in every year regardless of record. ;)

Seconded on your petition!

Anyways, no worried for MD about the CAA this year. The league isn't getting an at-large bid, just didn't do enough in OOC play. The tournament is gonna be great this weekend though. JMU needs to get by W&M Friday night to get a shot at Mason in the Quarters. I'd LOVE to knock them off on Saturday evening. That would be sweet!

Memphis is another team MD fans really need to root for as well. I'd throw Xavier/Dayton in as well. And might as well root for Siena, Davidson, Utah State etc to win theirs as well just so the committee isnt tempted to put them in.

And I root for any ACC bubble team to make the tournament (unless they are playing UVA, or UVA is on the bubble and them losing would help us out). I'm holding out hope for 9 teams in the tournament. That would be unprecedented and show how good this league really is.

Archived