I hate mid-majors and lesser conferences

Pedro Cerrano

Sorry, but I have to vent.

The NCAA tournament should have the 65 best teams in the country. The fact that each conference receives an automatic bid is silly enough but when you add in the fact that these automatic bids take up roughly 50% of the total bids, it's just ridiculous.

Granted, I understand that most of these conferences would never get any bid and if they don't get the automatic bid there is nothing for them to play for but it's still dumb. Why have a tournament if you're not going to put in the 65 best teams?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NCAA tournament should have the 65 best teams in the country. The fact that each conference receives an automatic bid is silly enough but when you add in the fact that these automatic bids take up roughly 50% of the total bids, it's just ridiculous.

Granted, I understand that most of these conferences would never get any bid and if they don't get the automatic bid there is nothing for them to play for but it's still dumb. Why have a tournament if you're not going to put in the 65 best teams?

The mid majors and lessor teams earn the right to be there by winning their conference. What makes College Basketball great is that every team in the country has a shot at getting to the tournament and then the opportunity to play for a title. The smaller conference teams have had enough success over the years that it's hard to argue against it being a good system.

The mid majors and lessor teams earn the right to be there by winning their conference. What makes College Basketball great is that every team in the country has a shot at getting to the tournament and then the opportunity to play for a title. The smaller conference teams have had enough success over the years that it's hard to argue against it being a good system.

And there are some who would argue that MidMajors are not getting enough at large bids considering their success in the tourney especially in recent years.

You’re unbelievable; yes some lesser conference teams are just awful and get blown out every year by the #1 seeds in the first round of the NCAA tourney. I really hope you are talking about some of the teams that seem so out of the place going up against “major” teams. If you’re talking about teams like Creighton, Dayton, Butler, BYU, Sienna as well then you are a complete idiot. If not, simply ignore.

Over the last couple of years alone:

-I guess the 05-06 George Mason Final 4 team was terrible.

-So was Davidson in their run to the Elite 8 last year, should have never happened, real boring and almost killed college basketball as we know it.

-Western Kentucky, sweet 16 last year, yes just awful for basketball.

-Maybe VCU should of never been able to beat Duke in the first round of the NCAA tourney 2 years ago as they probably were not even worthy of facing the almighty Dukies.

-Last year - Sienna beating Vanderbilt in the first round, San Diego beating UCONN -shame on you for taking away from Coach Calhoun’s postseason prowess.

This is what makes college basketball great, the upsets and the unexpected, yes there are a lot of bad teams out there but there are a ton of great mid major teams as well.

This is a bit irrational, but I can see a point for more teams getting in. They added a play in game to add a 65th team. That made no sense to me. How about all 15th and 16th seeded teams need to be play-ins. That would add more quality teams to the tourney. Then again, there would still be a debate about who is in and who is out.

I agree. It really sucks that we have to see the champion of the MEAC and Atlantic Sun over the 11th-ranked ACC team and the 14th-ranked Big East team.

Well when you put it that way.... It does suck! Without the mid majors maybe the Big East would rightfully get the 16 teams in the tourney the conference deserves. ;)

I have a good source that says mid-majors don't like you :D

I do think that the 65th team is not a good idea. 64 teams in the tourney in a three week single elimination competition is the best thing in sports. Period.

Go Mason.

For the record I was not talking about any one team in particular. If George Mason and Creighton etc etc are a top 65 team then yes they deserve to be in.

I'm talking about a team like Delaware State, who has an awful RPI (just an example from a few years ago) getting a bid.

You’re unbelievable; yes some lesser conference teams are just awful and get blown out every year by the #1 seeds in the first round of the NCAA tourney. I really hope you are talking about some of the teams that seem so out of the place going up against “major” teams. If you’re talking about teams like Creighton' date=' Dayton, Butler, BYU, Sienna as well then you are a complete idiot. If not, simply ignore.

Over the last couple of years alone:

-I guess the 05-06 George Mason Final 4 team was terrible.

-So was Davidson in their run to the Elite 8 last year, should have never happened, real boring and almost killed college basketball as we know it.

-Western Kentucky, sweet 16 last year, yes just awful for basketball.

-Maybe VCU should of never been able to beat Duke in the first round of the NCAA tourney 2 years ago as they probably were not even worthy of facing the almighty Dukies.

-Last year - Sienna beating Vanderbilt in the first round, San Diego beating UCONN -shame on you for taking away from Coach Calhoun’s postseason prowess.

This is what makes college basketball great, the upsets and the unexpected, yes there are a lot of bad teams out there but there are a ton of great mid major teams as well.[/quote']

Perhaps you have reading comprehension problems because this is not hard to understand. I believe that a tournament of 65 teams to decide the National Champion should be composed of the best 65 teams in the country (if you want to use top 65 RPI or whatever is fine).

I further argue that many many many teams receive a bid to the Dance who are way outside the top 65 teams simply because they won their lousy conference.

If that philosophy makes me a "complete idiot" (in your eyes at least) oh well...

That's fine you think that way.

I think the tournament as it is is beautiful. There is nothing better than watching a mid or low major take a team to the wire in the Dance. If you want to get rid of that, ok, but it seems silly to me.

The only thing I'd change about the tournament is that instead of making teams 64 and 65 play in the play-in game (teams that won their conference tournaments and should be able to experience a true NCAA experience). I would have at-large bids 33 and 34 play a play-in game. Those teams had their chances, and barely got in. Make them play for a chance to actually play in the tournament. Make the winner be a 12 seed and you're good to go. Then the game on Tuesday night would actually be interesting, rather than watching the two worst teams in the tournament play in front of nobody in a total non-NCAA environment.

While I do think A team like DePaul (0-14 in the Big East) and Georgia Tech would destroy a team like Delaware State, the beauty of Championship Week and the beauty of upsets like Hampton over Iowa State and dare I say it, Weber State over North Carolina make seeing those teams get in well worth it.

That's fine you think that way.

I think the tournament as it is is beautiful. There is nothing better than watching a mid or low major take a team to the wire in the Dance. If you want to get rid of that, ok, but it seems silly to me.

The only thing I'd change about the tournament is that instead of making teams 64 and 65 play in the play-in game (teams that won their conference tournaments and should be able to experience a true NCAA experience). I would have at-large bids 33 and 34 play a play-in game. Those teams had their chances, and barely got in. Make them play for a chance to actually play in the tournament. Make the winner be a 12 seed and you're good to go. Then the game on Tuesday night would actually be interesting, rather than watching the two worst teams in the tournament play in front of nobody in a total non-NCAA environment.

My favorite part of march is watching the fans storm the court after watching their team win their "lowly" conferences like the American East or Big Sky. As for your second point I agree, the teams earned the right to be in the proper tournament, and besides the play in game between the two last at larg bids would be a much more enticing match up. Sounds to me like the OP is a fan of a mediocre power conference team who probably wont be getting an at large bid. FWIW so am I and I still wouldnt change a thing, in fact I think mid majors near the top of their conference like Rhode Island or Siena should be given the at larges over .500 power conference teams (again including over my team)

Archived