Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, panick said:

I'm confused. RZNJ said he wished Holliday would try to hit to the left side more instead of trying to pull the ball. This write-up says he's doing exactly that. 

I saw pretty much every AB during his ML stint and whatever I could see in ST.   I’ve seen some of his minor league ABs and, honestly, I don’t recall anything to the left side but I’ll take Fangraphs word for it.  

Maybe this topic should be moved to the minor league area since that's where he's at.  The only things I see now are insults against Jackson and attacks on his ability as a ballplayer and even his character.  It could be retitled "Why I hate Jackson Holliday".  The things I know about Jackson is that his father was a multi time MLB All Star, he has been working to become a major leaguer since he was a small child, he was picked #1 by Mike Elias, who I believe is the #1 GM in baseball for a reason,  and he was voted the #1 prospect in baseball.  After being voted the #1 prospect in baseball, instead of resting on his laurels and despite getting married during the offseason, he spent every day of the offseason trying to get better.   Yes Jackson Holliday is struggling and could fail, but I wouldn't bet against him.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

No issues pulling an inside 91 mph cutter here. Obviously not the same as a mid/upper 90s heater, but that’s not an inside-out swing. 

I think that is the main issue.  He can do that in the minors with that swing against lesser competition.  But he seems to have issues using that same swing against major league velocity.   Even on that swing in the video he seems somewhat off balance (For example his right foot slides and stubs)  and his whole body is turning towards first base rather than more balanced and towards the pitcher.

He just seems off kilter to me.

36 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

No issues pulling an inside 91 mph cutter here. Obviously not the same as a mid/upper 90s heater, but that’s not an inside-out swing. 

That’s the happy zone for most lefties.  Hopefully it’s a positive sign though. 

42 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think that is the main issue.  He can do that in the minors with that swing against lesser competition.  But he seems to have issues using that same swing against major league velocity.   Even on that swing in the video he seems somewhat off balance (For example his right foot slides and stubs)  and his whole body is turning towards first base rather than more balanced and towards the pitcher.

He just seems off kilter to me.

How could you even tell since he only has 34 MLB PAs? And it's not like everyone in AAA is way worse than everyone in the majors. They're still playing the same game, there are plenty of good pitchers in AAA. If you can hit in the high minors at 20, you can hit in the majors.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How could you even tell since he only has 34 MLB PAs? And it's not like everyone in AAA is way worse than everyone in the majors. They're still playing the same game, there are plenty of good pitchers in AAA. If you can hit in the high minors at 20, you can hit in the majors.

Well I mean I can tell when a swing is on balance and fluid.

That swing was not.  He is good enough that he can overcome that against lesser AAA pitching.    But even there he is struggling. 

And against MLB pitching?  Not so much.

13 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

That swing was not.  He is good enough that he can overcome that against lesser AAA pitching.    But even there he is struggling. 

Which successful professional baseball team do you work for? Obviously you have a keen eye for swings, teams should be beating down the door for your services.

17 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You missed his point. You are treating these SSS as if they have real meaning.

Just now, andymax said:

Which successful professional baseball team do you work for? Obviously you have a keen eye for swings, teams should be beating down the door for your services.

I have played 2 pro sports, have a 225 PBA bowling average, am a scratch golfer, and was all state in tennis, basketball, and baseball as a HSer.

My dad was the baseball coach for a big 10 U and coached players like Mike Schmidt. 

I know what a fluid swing is, whether that be in baseball or tennis or bowling.

In no way shape of form is JH going to be successful using that swing from  that video in MLB.   In fact we saw that last month. 

Argue all that you want. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I have played 2 pro sports, have a 225 PBA bowling average, am a scratch golfer, and was all state in tennis, basketball, and baseball as a HSer.

My dad was the baseball coach for a big 10 U and coached players like Mike Schmidt. 

In no way shape of form is JH going to be successful using that swing from  that video in MLB.   In fact we saw that last month. 

Argue all that you want. 

Lmao, wonderful response thank you!

27 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I'll agree that his swing was not good in his SSS, but with the caveat that he still has time to make adjustments (or not). 

8 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Argue all that you want. 

I swear, you're like the Zelig or Forrest Gump of the Hangout. Someone could post something about rocket science, and you would respond that at one point you were a NASA engineer working in the space shuttle program. 

9 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I swear, you're like the Zelig or Forrest Gump of the Hangout. Someone could post something about rocket science, and you would respond that at one point you were a NASA engineer working in the space shuttle program. 

LOL Believe it or not I have lived a pretty varied life.  I have no reason to lie and am not just interwebs boasting.  In fact lots of times when I hear or see people that have not lived the life that I have I often wonder.....why?  It seems normal to me. 

Because in no way shape or form do I think I am special.  In fact there are many athletes way more athletic than I am or many people who are smarter.

Grew up playing sports all day every day from the time I walked out the crib.  Mainly because of my dad.  Loved the Colts and Orioles even though I grew up in MI. 

Was a very good athlete but never 'great' in one single sport.  But could and still do play almost any sport there is very well.  All state tennis and baseball and all city bball.  (misspoke on the earlier post as far as all state bball)

Got my BA and MBA in econ from MSU and did nothing with it.  Owned and trained race horses for 20 years.  Why?  Because I love horses. 

Moved to CA 14 years ago. 

Still golf to a scratch handicap and bowl in the regional PBA tour here on the west coast.   Also lift and work out 5 days a week. 

As for a living I day trade stocks and am a public company consultant and have done that for 20 years now and then but very seriously the past 12 years or so since I moved to CA. 

It really is nothing great or special.  I mean I own a multi million dollar house, 4 nice cars, have a great wife and daughter, but other than my daughter none of it really means anything. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1