Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

Speaking of Holiday , I’m coming around to the idea that they should him continue work on 2B and devote more time to CF . I can picture Holiday being adaptable to CF . His size seems fit protype CF .  
I don’t know what will happen with Mullins and Bradfield still bit away.

Our infield getting too crowded 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much better could our hitters be when they introduce the robo ump?  

Not just ours, but everyone's, really.

I found it interesting that @Tony-OHsaid that he thinks they could be introduced at the MLB next season.  I'd love to know why he thinks/feels that way...I'd be stoked if that happened.  I have my doubts that it'd be that soon but I'd love to be wrong.

In regards to Holliday, it's so tough to predict what kind of hitter he'll be.  I mean, I don't think anyone was considering Gunnar Henderson to be what he is right now.  I can see a scenario where Holliday is every bit the hitter that Gunnar is, I can also see a scenario where he's a guy that's somewhere between a .750 and .825 OPS yearly.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How much better could our hitters be when they introduce the robo ump?  

It would be insane, honestly. We have so many guys who know the zone at an incredible level. If they had a challenge system, I have no doubt in my mind we would lead the league in overturned strike challenges. 

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I found it interesting that @Tony-OHsaid that he thinks they could be introduced at the MLB next season.  I'd love to know why he thinks/feels that way...I'd be stoked if that happened.  I have my doubts that it'd be that soon but I'd love to be wrong.

In regards to Holliday, it's so tough to predict what kind of hitter he'll be.  I mean, I don't think anyone was considering Gunnar Henderson to be what he is right now.  I can see a scenario where Holliday is every bit the hitter that Gunnar is, I can also see a scenario where he's a guy that's somewhere between a .750 and .825 OPS yearly.  

Not as much power right now, but that could be coming as his body fills out.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think seeing MLB force a guy like Angel Hernandez shows that MLB is aware of how ridiculous it is to not just use a robo ump. 

Our hitters also get graded each pitch against the robo ump in the minors.  So we could have an advantage once we see the robo ump implemented.  Adley could be even better.  

14 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Speaking of Holiday , I’m coming around to the idea that they should him continue work on 2B and devote more time to CF . I can picture Holiday being adaptable to CF . His size seems fit protype CF .  

Yup, he's athletic enough, just a matter of reps out there. There is the chance he's a guy who wouldn't get good reads and take bad routes, but I made the move when I played college from 2B to CF. Although, I wanted to play CF, so maybe I had more a desire at the time to be good at it. He's twice the athlete I was at that age, and I have no doubt he could do it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I think seeing MLB force a guy like Angel Hernandez shows that MLB is aware of how ridiculous it is to not just use a robo ump. 

Our hitters also get graded each pitch against the robo ump in the minors.  So we could have an advantage once we see the robo ump implemented.  Adley could be even better.  

I hope so.  I just don't see how they could do it so quickly.  Again, I'd love to be wrong.  

Don't let the door hit ya, CB Bucknor.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord, somewhere I lost track of this thread only to see it derailed into 10 others subjects.

1) Please keep on the subject of Jackson Holliday
2) My thoughts on Jackson Holliday's "Athleticism." First off, Holliday has very good speed, has made some very good plays defensively while on the move, and is playing professional baseball with the best in the world, that in in of itself makes him above average athletically. Now, saying that, he's not an extreme quick twitch guy and he doesn't have that explosive first step you'd typically want in a shortstop. That combined with his below average arm was why I pretty quickly concluded that shortstop would be a stretch for him without additional physical development. 
3) The arm woes could very well be from him trying to improve his arm strength this offseason. I don't know what his routine was, but watching him lob balls around the infield tells me he was saving his arm and was kind of treating it with "kid gloves" which suggests he was not 100%. How much that has affected his hitting, I don't know, but his domination by major league pitchers was most likely not because of elbow discomfort.
4) I've said for awhile that Jackson Holliday is untouchable along with Basallo and Mayo, and I still think it would take a ton of a return that would include controllable players before I would consider moving him, but I'm starting to think he might be the guy that could get an impact return that I'd be willing to move. 

Now why would I be willing to move him? Quite simply because I would have no issue with an infield of Mayo at 3B and Westburg at 2B. Now, before people overreact here and say I'm down on Holliday, I'm not. I still think he's going to end up a very high OBP hitter with some pop and would look very good on top of this lineup one day. At no point do you give him away and he's certainly not traded for just a rental for this year, but I would listen. 

Tony what’s an example of a controllable arm you would consider Holliday for? My instinct is one of the Seattle starters (Kirby or Gilbert) or Skubal.

29 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I’d rather see him in CF vs second base but I’m not sure we see that transition or not. I guess it depends on how comfortable they are with doing it at the ML level and in the offseason…because he won’t be in the minors for much longer.

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to think he might be the guy that could get an impact return that I'd be willing to move. 

Now why would I be willing to move him? Quite simply because I would have no issue with an infield of Mayo at 3B and Westburg at 2B.

Exactly this. While I appreciate he could be the guy, they are loaded at MIF. The more I watch Westburg the more I'm convinced he IS a dude. Calling up Mayo to play 3B I'm only slightly hesitant about because I've read regarding his defense. Westburg looks more comfortable at third to me, but I love that he's played 2B at a high level as well.

Nice to have so many options.

14 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yup, he's athletic enough, just a matter of reps out there. There is the chance he's a guy who wouldn't get good reads and take bad routes, but I made the move when I played college from 2B to CF. Although, I wanted to play CF, so maybe I had more a desire at the time to be good at it. He's twice the athlete I was at that age, and I have no doubt he could do it. 

Yeah , only if Holiday is motivated & desire the task of studying CF

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I’d rather see him in CF vs second base but I’m not sure we see that transition or not. I guess it depends on how comfortable they are with doing it at the ML level and in the offseason…because he won’t be in the minors for much longer.

He's athletic enough to play there is the main thing. The rest is a learning curve. Not sure the timing is right when they're trying to make the playoffs, there's likely to be a few hiccups along the way. But I'd be fine with it. Who knows if they're even considering it?