Winter 2024 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I might be higher on Brnovich more than others.  I like his K/9 K/IP rate.  His WHIP has always been low too.  More K's than IP.  Doesn't have a bunch of baserunners.  He turns 27 shortly.  He's sort of a RH Zimmerman.  I think you protect a guy like that because he can be a up/down guy for 3 years, but also is the type of arm that would get picked in the Rule 5.

We always way overestimate who would get picked in the rule 5.  IF things stay the same with Brnovich and he sniffs AAA this year, then I say in his case that we protect him.  Losing the three SP to TJ helps his case.  

You didn’t answer my question.

Portes 21 in high A

Chace 20 in high A

Young 25 in AAA

Brnovich 26 in AA

Which ones are you protecting?

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Portes 21 in high A

Chace 20 in high A

Young 25 in AAA

Brnovich 26 in AA

It's Young for me. If only because he's a logical spot starter at some point and we're desperate for SP depth. Teams aren't reaching into A-ball. Someone might reach for Brnovich, but he's coming back if so IMO. 

Edited by interloper

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's Young for me. If only because he's a logical spot starter at some point and we're desperate for SP depth. Teams aren't reaching into A-ball. Someone might reach for Brnovich, but he's coming back if so IMO. 

Right.  Agree that Young is a possibility or probability.  I don’t want to say Brnovich is 0% but it’s darn close.   Portes, I think is close to 0%.  Chace around 20%.   Young about 50%.   I wouldn’t be shocked if all 4 were not protected.    

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Portes 21 in high A

Chace 20 in high A

Young 25 in AAA

Brnovich 26 in AA

I didn't bring up those names.  Our 40 man situation isn't at a crunch level yet where we could lose a player.  McCann, Santa, Kimbrel, and Burnes are FA.  Hays and/or Mullins could be non tendered.  Urias, Mateo, and O'Hearn could be dealt away to make room for younger players.  Then pitchers like Zimmerman, Vespi, Akin, Baker, and Heasley, will be out of options next year.  Avila and Stoudt were recent waiver claims that might just be for depth this season.  Krook might not even get a callup this year.  

There's plenty of room to protect/add everyone we need to.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I didn't bring up those names.  Our 40 man situation isn't at a crunch level yet where we could lose a player.  McCann, Santa, Kimbrel, and Burnes are FA.  Hays and/or Mullins could be non tendered.  Urias, Mateo, and O'Hearn could be dealt away to make room for younger players.  Then pitchers like Zimmerman, Vespi, Akin, Baker, and Heasley, will be out of options next year.  Avila and Stoudt were recent waiver claims that might just be for depth this season.  Krook might not even get a callup this year.  

There's plenty of room to protect/add everyone we need to.  

Didn’t say there wasn’t enough room.  Just asked who you would protect and in what order.  Not that there is an order.  Who do you think the team would least like to lose out of those 4 names?   I know my answer.

This is a very interesting topic and I wish I paid closer attention. It seems that with pitching being in such demand, teams will be falling all over themselves to make picks in the rule five draft, so I bet that any pitcher we expose will be selected.

Justin Slaten has been excellent with Boston, so gems can certainly be found there.