Dillon Tate 2024

Jagwar

Results weren't there on opening day, but it was good to see Dillon Tate back on the mound. 

I was very surprised by the lower velocity, maxing out closer to 90 than 95. Hope it was just a "first game back" thing. What was his fastball velocity like in Spring Training?  

EDIT: Dillon not Dylan

Edited by Jagwar
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Results weren't there on opening day, but it was good to see Dylan Tate back on the mound. 

I was very surprised by the lower velocity, maxing out closer to 90 than 95. Hope it was just a "first game back" thing. What was his fastball velocity like in Spring Training?  

The fastball was low in ST, too. However, that contradicts his pre-ST workouts where he was apparently hitting 100. 

So, definitely a concern. I think he'll probably get optioned pretty soon if the next couple appearances look similar. 

Edited by interloper

If you're Dillon Tate, the good news is that the bullpen isn't too deep so you've got some time to get it together.  

IIRC, (and this is stating the obvious) he's a vastly different pitcher when he's in the mid 90s compared to the low 90s.  I remember when suddenly ticked up a few MPH, he was a lot better.  Sitting around 90 yesterday wasn't encouraging.

He could be a big shot in the arm if he can get that velocity back and get back to where he was.  But again, the good news for that guy is that the bullpen is a bit thin so he might have some time to get back on track.

I dunno how you can look at his velo and command and think he's going to help you much right now. I guess if you're looking for positives, it's that he WAS still getting ground balls in between the walks and the unlucky hits. And he should have been out of the inning if not for Mateo's poor throw. 

So... put all that together and I think he gets 2 to 3 more appearances. Plenty of built in excuse to option him by just saying, he needs to face more hitters after a long layoff. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Thank the Lord for the Spell checker police

It's not too much to ask to know the names of the players. It's also very easy to edit the thread title. Especially if this is the thread we're using for him all season.

Edited by interloper

• Jagwar changed the title to Dillon Tate 2024
1 minute ago, interloper said:

It's not too much to ask to know the names of the players. It's also very easy to edit the thread title. Especially if this is the thread we're using for him all season.

Done and Done. Sheesh

• Thanks 1

This lack of velocity is what shut him down last year after trying to start back up. Tate does not have the stuff to get away with a 90.4 MPH fastball. If that doesn't come back, and it would be surprising if it did at this point, he'll be back in Norfolk before May.

image.thumb.png.17ec7edfec2873aec056da1b4cc679f3.png