Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks.  Urias is a reverse splits guy.  So it would be Urias vs RHP, and JD Davis vs LHP.  We could hopefully squeeze out a .700 OPS with above average defense.

Personally, I prefer to take my lumps with Mayo.  Even if it were to cost us the division because he has the bat to win a playoff series MVP.  Gotta ride with the ceiling.  If we're going down, I want to go down swinging for a World Series.  

Both Urias and J.D. Davis are below average defenders at 3B.   Urias is a far cry from what he was 2 years ago.  He’s not good.

57 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Sure, I get that. You're not wrong. All I'm saying is to have a little faith. Success will come for this 22 years old.He's got  all the talent.

Was very noncompetitive on breaking balls away when he first came up. And maybe the stance was too open. Now having trouble with fastballs. Like Palmer says, slow down the bat, speed up the picth. It's just a matter of adjustments. Dont know about the glove but the bat will get there.

Ahmed Rosario was just DFA’d by the Dodgers. He’s a .300 hitter in 387 PA this year. .746 OPS. Seems like he would kill two birds with one stone with his IF versatility. 

I bet we would claim him if he were to fall to us in waivers. 

I doubt that happens. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ahmed Rosario was just DFA’d by the Dodgers. He’s a .300 hitter in 387 PA this year. .746 OPS. Seems like he would kill two birds with one stone with his IF versatility. 

I bet we would claim him if he were to fall to us in waivers. 

I doubt that happens. 

Who would the O's option, Mayo?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Who would the O's option, Mayo?

Possibly.  The team has to have a large enough sample size to identify adjustments for Mayo to work on in the minors by now. 

My main question in this scenario is, what's up with Rosario?  The Dodgers just traded for him like a week and a half ago, and they've already DFA'd him?  Seems a little fishy. 

Edited by Morgan423

22 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Possibly.  The team has to have a large enough sample size to identify adjustments for Mayo to work on in the minors by now. 

My main question in this scenario is, what's up with Rosario?  The Dodgers just traded for him like a week and a half ago, and they've already DFA'd him?  Seems a little fishy. 

Betts first game back off the IL, maybe?

I don’t think Mayo starts tonight. With a GB% pitcher going for us, and facing an opposing RHP, I think that adds up to Urias. 

Rosario is an interesting option. If he were to someone make it passed all the other contenders, then I think we’d have to claim him. Mayo would then go down and work on things to be in the running for our September call up. 

Eloy > Mayo currently vs LHP

Urias/Rosario > Mayo vs RHP 

I love Mayo. He will be ok. But if Rosario falls to us then we should ride with him. 

The book is just beginning for Mayo and not written. He will be ok. MLB is tough. Advanced Scouting is undefeated. 

Do you think Cal wanted to make 72 adjustments to his batting stance over the years?

The Os have really botched Mayo this year. It’s a shame.

I hope he stays up and gets more of a chance.

I think he’s definitely guessing right now and his timing is off. I don’t think the minors really help him right now but I also get how you are at the part of the season where you can’t have a zero, so it’s a fine line to walk. Personally I keep going to him but I get if they don’t.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os have really botched Mayo this year. It’s a shame.

I hope he stays up and gets more of a chance.

I think he’s definitely guessing right now and his timing is off. I don’t think the minors really help him right now but I also get how you are at the part of the season where you can’t have a zero, so it’s a fine line to walk. Personally I keep going to him but I get if they don’t.

What do you mean by they have botched him? By leaving him in the minors all season and waiting until the tail end of the season to promote him?

Just now, casadeozo said:

What do you mean by they have botched him? By leaving him in the minors all season and waiting until the tail end of the season to promote him?

Not speaking for SG, but he should have been spending more time at 1B/OF, in my opinion.  

5 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

He’s not a third baseman in the majors for the Os. There is very little chance that the Os move Holliday to CF or Westburg to the OF to accommodate Mayo at third. 

First and RF is more likely.

On top of that, we know these guys need more time to learn and adjust, so waiting until now to bring him up makes no sense.

I get he was hurt but the reports were he was about to be called up before he got hurt. He should have been called up before then and even if you wait, he should have been brought up sooner than he was after he got hurt.

By waiting until right at the end, you aren’t giving him much of a chance to adjust, succeed and be ready for October.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not speaking for SG, but he should have been spending more time at 1B/OF, in my opinion.  

For sure. 

I would imagine they were not expecting Westburg to break out the way he has this season. That’s possibly why it took so long for them to have Mayo pivot to 1B. If Westburg doesn’t get hurt I don’t think Mayo comes up until rosters expand. 

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I've been saying for years they should just put him at 1B but everyone said that would be a waste of his amazing arm. 

I am skeptical that he can play beyond O'Hearn level OF. They really need him to learn 1B or just accept the reality that he is a DH, imo.