Craig Kimbrel 2024

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t remember anyone suggesting that the O’s should make a decision on the option before the year was over.  Maybe someone said “if Kimbrel keeps pitching like this, they should pick up his option” or something like that.  Well, he hasn’t kept pitching like that.  

Yea, no one was suggesting picking up the option early, that would have been pointless but at the time they were in favor of it.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, no one was suggesting picking up the option early, that would have been pointless but at the time they were in favor of it.

Let’s say, hypothetically, that Kimbrel was lights out for the rest of the season beginning with his next appearance.  I think even in that scenario, exercising the option wouldn’t make sense.  He’s just proven to be too inconsistent to warrant $13 mm.  I guess in that scenario I could envision the O’s reupping with him at some lower dollar figure, but I doubt Kimbrel would want to rejoin a team where he’s unlikely to be the closer.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say, hypothetically, that Kimbrel was lights out for the rest of the season beginning with his next appearance.  I think even in that scenario, exercising the option wouldn’t make sense.  He’s just proven to be too inconsistent to warrant $13 mm.  I guess in that scenario I could envision the O’s reupping with him at some lower dollar figure, but I doubt Kimbrel would want to rejoin a team where he’s unlikely to be the closer.  

I'm not sure Kimbrel is going to get an offer to close.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

He was not effective during the playoffs last year, but that didn’t stop Elias from cutting a big check. 

Let's be honest, it was a moderately sized check.

Last year he was worth 1.8 rWAR, a respectable total for a reliever.

He's below replacement level right now and one of the twenty worst in baseball when it comes to WPA(before last night).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

I don't think Kimbrel is getting DFA'd.  On the contrary, I expect they are working with him to help resolve the issues he's been having.  Easier said than done, but he's not a lost cause, as yet.

He may be a lost cause, but they don’t know that for sure yet.  They’ll continue to try to nurse him along for at least several more weeks.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure why people actually think this is a possibility. 

They should at least consider DFAs for both Kimbrel and Soto.  You can't carry even one pitcher that you are afraid to use, let alone two.  They are not going to be on the team beyond this season.  If there is a technical issue that the staff thinks can be fixed, fine, but especially with Kimbrell it's quite possible that this is just the end of the line.  

The best argument for not dumping them is that they don't have anyone else better to replace them with, which is a pretty sad state.