2024 Delmarva Shorebirds

DirtyBird

I really do appreciate the MiLB TV broadcasts and realize not to expect broadcast quality. 

Saying that, it's a little frustrating when the camera person not only could not track the ball to get to the outfielder in time for him to field it then by the time he makes a throw to the plate, the camera guy misses the play at the plate, then changes misses the throw by the catcher to the 2B.

I did see the SS tag a runner that was caught in the run down. :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I really do appreciate the MiLB TV broadcasts and realize not to expect broadcast quality. 

Saying that, it's a little frustrating when the camera person not only could not track the ball to get to the outfielder in time for him to field it then by the time he makes a throw to the plate, the camera guy misses the play at the plate, then changes misses the throw by the catcher to the 2B.

I did see the SS tag a runner that was caught in the run down. :D 

What did you think of Weatherly?  His line looks good: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 UER, 0 BB, 7 K’s.   

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

What did you think of Weatherly?  His line looks good: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 UER, 0 BB, 7 K’s.   

Tall, lanky right-hander with a bit of a herky, jerky delivery. Announcer said low-mid 90s fastball but then never gave another velocity reading (I don't know if these guys just don't have velocity readings during the games or what, but both Delmarva and Aberdeen's announcers rarely give velocity readings and it's frustrating).

His best pitch is a slider that his good horizontal movement that he'll throw in any count. In fact, seemed to be his go to strike pitch most of the outing. He did get swings and misses on his fastball up at times, but pitches off the slider.

He has a show me, get me over slow curveball that wont be effective at upper levels, and did show a decent changeup a few times against lefties, getting two swing and miss Ks with the pitch low in the dirt. Doesn't have a good feel for the pitch, but can use it to get low-A lefties to chase.

At 23-years old, he probably needs to be challenged in High-A. I wouldn't say he's a prospect per se, but I wouldn't NP him with this look. Somebody to follow as he moves up the system just to see how his stuff plays on the way up.

With many of the college draftees promoted to Aberdeen this week, I thought I’d quickly recap how the Shorebirds did while they were present.  Overall, the team is 50-75.   However, they were 10-8 during the three week stretch since the 2024 draftees joined the team.  So, before that, they were 40-67.   The team scored 4.28 runs/game the last 3 weeks, compared to 3.79 before the draftees arrived.

Overn (.860 OPS), Stafford (.832) and Anderson (.780) were among Delmarva’s best hitters during their three-week tenure with the team, while O’Ferrall (.616) and Honeycutt (.591) were a bit disappointing.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

With many of the college draftees promoted to Aberdeen this week, I thought I’d quickly recap how the Shorebirds did while they were present.  Overall, the team is 50-75.   However, they were 10-8 during the three week stretch since the 2024 draftees joined the team.  So, before that, they were 40-67.   The team scored 4.28 runs/game the last 3 weeks, compared to 3.79 before the draftees arrived.

Overn (.860 OPS), Stafford (.832) and Anderson (.780) were among Delmarva’s best hitters during their three-week tenure with the team, while O’Ferrall (.616) and Honeycutt (.591) were a bit disappointing.  

My very early impressions of these guys is Stafford stood out. He's a very good 5th round pick. He's fast, seems to be a decent catcher, though he doesn't look lost in the outfield. At the plate he hits the ball to all fields, and while he doesn't have a lot of power, he seems to hit a lot of line drives. 

Overn has looked like the guy we hope Honeycutt looked like if that makes any sense. Again, not a ton of pop, but some pull power and the ability to drive the ball all over the field. He's very good defensively.

Anderson reminds me of Kyle Stowers, except he really doesn't whiff that much. He has a big upper cut swing but has found a way to put the barrel on the ball. He's going to have to move to 1B or the OF, because he can't throw very good, at least in my early looks.

O'Ferrall has all the took to be a solid major league shortstop defensively and offensively, he doesn't swing and miss much. He also doesn't have a lot of juice in the bat. He needs to get stronger.

Honeycutt looked rusty, but had barreled some balls up. He can hit some mistakes but has holes in the swing and was beaten up in the zone on fastballs on some my looks .

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Yeiber Cartaya four wonderful innings to probably finish at 24 innings of 1.11 ERA in his stateside debut.

But the lead is this...he is listed at 6-5, 165.     That visual does not readily come to mind.

Not a bad starter kit.  Kinda like the Fiero kits that made them look like a Ferrari.  Just need to drop a 12 cylinder engine in there.