Everybody here loves an Oriole win of course...but what would you RATHER have? A laugher or a walk off?

Love a laugher, but sometimes it doesn't feel like real baseball. After 2 laughers and a loss, I was getting a little nervous because we still hadn't seen this team have a gritty "baseball" win like they did so many times last year. So it was nice to confirm they still have the sauce, and it's the kind of win that solidifies a team and creates an identity. Of course I don't want them ALL to be that nerve-wracking, but I feel like we checked off an important box last night when it comes to the 2024 team. 

• Upvote 2

I had to remind myself last night that we're not going to have 162 games like our first two. Was a little frustrating to see our lineup struggle against Wacha, but it was just game 4. I think this team will have several long stretches of dominance as the season rolls on though. 

Glad we pulled it out, but give me a laugher. I don't need the negativity lol.

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Easier, yes, but not as memorable or fun to watch...

When I did my “best wins of the year” list last year, I only included one laugher, our 14-1 destruction of the Yankees in the Bronx on July 6.   And it wouldn’t have been included if it was against, say, the Tigers.   The games you tend to savor are the great comebacks and nail biters.  But while the game is in progress?  Give me the laughers.  We’ve already had proof of that this season.  

Last nights game was tense and that is challenging but, when Mountcastle was safe at first in the 8th I had that great feeling that we don't give in, we outcompete other teams.  I really enjoy that, then in the 9th I felt certain we would find a way to win, but the walk off homer for me is a special kind of joy.  I can enjoy a laugher, but for me these kinds of games are more meaningful.

• Upvote 1

The thing about a laugher is most of the time I end up getting annoyed in the late innings when we inevitably give up some runs and give the opposing team a smidge of hope. It's not good strategy at all to use your best bullpen arms in a blowout and I get that, but I can't help but wish sometimes that we'd really step on a team's throat to the fullest extent. 

• Upvote 1

I should add that the opponent matters. If the Orioles play this exact same game against the Braves, I'm ecstatic. Against KC, you start thinking what a more balanced lineup would do to Dean Kremer, what if a team had a real pinch hitter to match up with Cano in the 8th, what if a team had a better first baseman and didn't hand us a run, etc.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Luckily, we don't have to play 162 games against the Braves.  You get to play the good and the bad.  So far, we're 3-1 against the bad (mediocre at best).  I'll take that.

Yep. I thought it was a pretty important win, even though nothing is that important at this early stage. But you didn't want to lose 2 in a row at home and then go into potentially 2 days of postponed games before skipping town to go play the red-hot Pirates. That would have left a kind of iffy feeling about the team. 3-1 feels good, we saw that they can blow teams out as well as win a close game, and the starting pitching overall is off to a nice start. 

• Upvote 2

Biggest concern with Kimbrel was the velo. He shouldn’t have been tagged for an ER in that appearance, that was bad luck. He will be tagged for plenty this year if he can’t get back up to 95-97 though.