Colton Cowser 2024

I could argue that the biggest play of tonight’s game was Cowser’s catch of the soft liner hit by Jose Caballero off of Webb.  Off the bat, I was sure that was dropping in.  Cowser got a terrific jump on that ball and made the catch look almost routine, but it wasn’t.  I’d love to know the catch probability on that play. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I could argue that the biggest play of tonight’s game was Cowser’s catch of the soft liner hit by Jose Caballero off of Webb.  Off the bat, I was sure that was dropping in.  Cowser got a terrific jump on that ball and made the catch look almost routine, but it wasn’t.  I’d love to know the catch probability on that play. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Seems a little suspect, there is a catch that has an 11% probability from earlier that doesn't look like one of the hardest catches I've seen in a long time. It claims the bot calculates his own Catch Probability that isn't in line with Statcast. If that's an 11% catch, then I don't know.

This one is 5%? Yeah, I'm not buying what he's selling.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 2

Just now, spleen1015 said:

I'm trying to find it on the Baseball Savant site and have been unsuccessful. I think I found the right page, but it doesn't look like tonight's game is in included yet.

Yeah, it likely won't be until tomorrow morning.

40 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah, it likely won't be until tomorrow morning.

There’s no way to find it except to peck around on the fielder’s chart trying to guess what play it was, right?  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s no way to find it except to peck around on the fielder’s chart trying to guess what play it was, right?  

I think so, there is a way using the API to actually see the data on the site but it looks like.....

baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-services/range?playerId=681297&season=2023&playerType=fielder

Edited by Malike
Oops, this is Cowsers ID.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I, for one, am enjoying @Malike’s journey into waging a one man war against catch percentage. 

Understand that the numbers generated by the Catch Probability account on X are not the same as the Statcast catch probabilities, which are probably a lot better.   That said, I do question the Statcast numbers at times.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I, for one, am enjoying @Malike’s journey into waging a one man war against catch percentage. 

I have seen some balls that account give low probability numbers on balls that were basically pop ups. Malike is right.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Malike said:

Seems a little suspect, there is a catch that has an 11% probability from earlier that doesn't look like one of the hardest catches I've seen in a long time. It claims the bot calculates his own Catch Probability that isn't in line with Statcast. If that's an 11% catch, then I don't know.

This one is 5%? Yeah, I'm not buying what he's selling.

It seems like there's too much weight put on exit velocity and launch angle, but mainly exit velocity.  I'd love to know the other factors that are in these statistics.  One would think catch probability would have to do also with where the catch was made in relation to the glove side of the fielder.  None of these catches look particularly special - altho Cowser's was critical in the sense that it ended the rally and the inning.

1 minute ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

It seems like there's too much weight put on exit velocity and launch angle, but mainly exit velocity.  I'd love to know the other factors that are in these statistics.  One would think catch probability would have to do also with where the catch was made in relation to the glove side of the fielder.  None of these catches look particularly special - altho Cowser's was critical in the sense that it ended the rally and the inning.

I’d like to know if it takes account of where the fielder is positioned when the ball is hit. 

• Upvote 1