Who gets called up first?

Who gets called up first?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets called up from Norfolk first?

This poll is closed to new votes

I was watching MLB Network last night when they were talking about the offensive numbers the Tides put up.  I forget the guys name but he said you can count on the Orioles calling up Holliday in mid April when the service time date passes.  Then he said Gunnar will move to 3rd and Holliday to SS and I realized he doesn't know anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I feel like Holliday is most likely to finish top 2 in ROY.  So I would say that he should be first up, but I think someone else might be first up, like Norby to take Kemp's place.  This makes no sense, but I bet Elias really wants that extra year of Holliday.  Losing a year of control of Holliday after losing a year of control of Adley would be like of double helping of egg on his face.

I'd think that Stowers is the most conservative call-up, so that's my guess. Only question is, who gets injured first? That's the only catalyst I see to a call up. I don't think anyone is getting pushed off of this roster for performance/merit on either side of the equation. 

Edited by Sanfran327

5 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'd think that Stowers is the most conservative call-up, so that's my guess. Only question is, who gets injured first? That's the only catalyst I see to a call up. I don't think anyone is getting pushed off of this roster for performance/merit on either side of the equation. 

Tony Kemp/Norby is an easy call.  I'm not sure how good a 2B Norby is, but what the O's really need is another guy who can mash.  Is Norby  better in RF than O'Hear (very low bar)/DH/PH.  Scratch that  O's fans endured months of Odor "fielding" 2B, I'm sure I can put up with Norby.

• Upvote 1

Regarding Stowers and Norby....

Where does Stowers get ABs? We already have Cowser not getting enough.

At least with Norby he can take ABs from Urias.

I know, I know. Holliday, but let's just assume Elias leaves him down to game service time.

Norby first because there's ABs available.

First I said Holliday and then thought…nah, he’s unfortunately probably going to be a Sept call up. Then I thought Kjerstad but then tried fitting him in somewhere and there’s no where for him to play unless Cowser takes over CF which is unlikely. So I went with Norby, he could probably fill in the role of DH vs LHP and he’s had a lot of time at AAA that it’s pretty unreasonable at this point that he hasn’t been given a chance yet.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I think it's without a doubt Burdick, and I promise I'm not just being cynical. Here's why:

1. Mateo stinks in CF. I think after last night's display, Hyde is going to pretty quickly abandon the Mateo in CF experiment. We're trying to win games here, and Mateo nearly contributed very heavily to a loss if not for the 9th inning heroics. 

2. Another reason is that there's about an equal chance of any of the starting OF getting injured, and two of them are (for all intents and purposes) lefty hitters. We already have another lefty OF on the bench. Therefore, you might as well call up a RH who can play all 3 OF spots. 

Norby is a strong possibility here, too, but I think Elias and Hyde would rather have the more experienced OF who can play CF in a pinch also. The McKenna replacement except with options. 

Edited by interloper

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I feel like Holliday is most likely to finish top 2 in ROY.  So I would say that he should be first up, but I think someone else might be first up, like Norby to take Kemp's place.  This makes no sense, but I bet Elias really wants that extra year of Holliday.  Losing a year of control of Holliday after losing a year of control of Adley would be like of double helping of egg on his face.

Langford and Carter are off to slow starts, especially Carter. If Holliday comes up in the next week or so, he would still be eligible to net us a pick with ROY. Could Elias throw caution to the wind and go for it?