Passan: MLB Must Act Now on Pitching Injuries

Jagwar

18 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd be curious as to what the number was in like 2010 before everyone started chasing spin and velocity and weren't using pitching labs.

"In my practice there has been a ten-fold increase in high school and younger youth baseball players that required a Tommy John procedure since 2000 — a ten-fold increase," said Dr. Jim Andrews, a prominent orthopedic surgeon who practices in Gulf Breeze, Florida.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna673266

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

"In my practice there has been a ten-fold increase in high school and younger youth baseball players that required a Tommy John procedure since 2000 — a ten-fold increase," said Dr. Jim Andrews, a prominent orthopedic surgeon who practices in Gulf Breeze, Florida.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna673266

I get that, I just wish they had the % of all TJ surgeries from the 15-19 year old range from back then. Is it more? Less? I guess we'll never know.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I get that, I just wish they had the % of all TJ surgeries from the 15-19 year old range from back then. Is it more? Less? I guess we'll never know.

Has to be a higher percentage now, I’d think.   Certainly pro TJs haven’t increased tenfold.  I don’t know about college.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has to be a higher percentage now, I’d think.   Certainly pro TJs haven’t increased tenfold.  I don’t know about college.  

I suspect some of those 18/19 year olds are in college so likely.

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

This will offer some insight: Risk of Serious Injury for Young Baseball Pitchers: A 10-Year Prospective Study

Methods: In sum, 481 youth pitchers (aged 9 to 14 years) were enrolled in a 10-year follow-up study. Participants were interviewed annually. Injury was defined as elbow surgery, shoulder surgery, or retirement due to throwing injury. Fisher exact test compared the risk of injury between participants who pitched at least 4 years during the study and those who pitched less. Fisher exact tests were used to investigate risks of injury for pitching more than 100 innings in at least 1 calendar year, starting curveballs before age 13 years, and playing catcher for at least 3 years.

Results: The cumulative incidence of injury was 5.0%. Participants who pitched more than 100 innings in a year were 3.5 times more likely to be injured (95% confidence interval = 1.16 to 10.44). Pitchers who concomitantly played catcher seemed to be injured more frequently, but this trend was not significant with the study sample size.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546510384224?journalCode=ajsb

Edit: Results of 10-year study were published in 2010.

Edited by 24fps
  • Thanks 1

It looks like Fangraphs history on fastball velo goes back as far as 2007, when Daniel Cabrera was 3rd, and Justin Verlander at age 24 was 94.1 for the season.

Cabrera and Verlander were two of 8 qualified starters to average 94+ in 2007.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&lg=all&qual=y&type=10&month=0&ind=0&stats=sta&sortcol=3&sortdir=default&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2007&season=2007

In 2023, MLB was up to 22 qualified SP at 94+, including still Verlander.

Dipping down to 100 IP minimum for the first view where Grayson read out in his rookie year, he was part of the 97+ Club with Strider, Alcantara, Hunter Greene and Bobby Miller.    Grayson and Bobby Miller still have their arms entirely intact so far.

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It looks like Fangraphs history on fastball velo goes back as far as 2007, when Daniel Cabrera was 3rd, and Justin Verlander at age 24 was 94.1 for the season.

Cabrera and Verlander were two of 8 qualified starters to average 94+ in 2007.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&lg=all&qual=y&type=10&month=0&ind=0&stats=sta&sortcol=3&sortdir=default&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2007&season=2007

In 2023, MLB was up to 22 qualified SP at 94+, including still Verlander.

Dipping down to 100 IP minimum for the first view where Grayson read out in his rookie year, he was part of the 97+ Club with Strider, Alcantara, Hunter Greene and Bobby Miller.    Grayson and Bobby Miller still have their arms entirely intact so far.

Didn’t they change the way they clock the velocity sometime in the last ten years or so?   I seem to remember that.  

I think the only people blaming the pitch clock are the people who were already opposed to the pitch clock.  I'm never going to believe that allowing the pitcher to dick around with a rosin bag, walk around the mound, fix his twig and berries over and over (for however long they want between pitches) is going to prevent TJ surgery, which is obviously always a risk when you're asking a human to use his arm and elbow in a way it wasn't mean to be used.

People are obviously trying to act like pitchers going down with elbow injuries is a new thing, but the numbers don't really prove that.