Holliday called up!

jcaponio

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

The overlooked possibility here, is that Elias came to the realization that he made a mistake sending Holliday down given some of the IF options on the roster (Mateo, Urias, and Kemp notably) and made a sudden decision to promote Holliday. 

That won't be provable either way.  The Elias can do no wrong crowd, will say this was the plan all along and point to the fact that there is no corresponding IL move.  Although it's not a great look to dump a guy (Kemp) after two weeks who you just signed to a guaranteed 1 mil deal. 

Ideally, Westburg is healthy and the regular lineup for the foreseeable future will have him at 3B, Gunnar at SS, and Holliday at 2B. 

Well, Holliday, besides making a few bad errors, has done everything with the bat to show that they were wrong about sending him down. I still think this had to do with wanting him to get off to a good start and all the lefties coming up. i really think they just overthought it. Still, the Kemp signing was a crazy headscratcher now that he's been DFA'd so quickly.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

I disagree completely and all this extension talk is asinine.

You mean you agree with me that an extension seems unlikely. The quote you’re jumping on was my response about the history Boras and how he advises his clients about extensions.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Not get the extra year of service time? I admit to being fuzzy on what happened there exactly. 

Rutschman only got the year because he finished 2nd in ROY.   He was injured in ST.  We’ll never know for sure if they would have tried to manipulate his service time.

• Upvote 1

Fathers and sons, Rotoworld had the note Matt Holliday wore #7 for the 2011 Cardinals champions.

It was Matt's only ring, so the number perhaps means something to the Hollidays as well as the Ripkens.

Hollidays, Ripkens, Griffeys - I think for everyday use Holliday should get the edge on Jackson.     Jackson makes me think of Reggie or Shoeless Joe.

Just now, Just Regular said:

Fathers and sons, Rotoworld had the note Matt Holliday wore #7 for the 2011 Cardinals champions.

It was Matt's only ring, so the number perhaps means something to the Hollidays as well as the Ripkens.

Hollidays, Ripkens, Griffeys - I think for everyday use Holliday should get the edge on Jackson.     Jackson makes me think of Reggie or Shoeless Joe.

It was Matt's number with the Cards and when he played on the Rockies.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, Holliday, besides making a few bad errors, has done nothing everything with the bat to show that they were wrong about sending him down. I still think this had to do with wanting him to get off to a good start and all the lefties coming up. i really think they just overthought it. Still, the Kemp signing was a crazy headscratcher now that he's been DFA'd so quickly.

Thank the lord John Angelos isn't running the show he would pitch a fit over having to DFA Kemp when the Orioles are on the hook for his $1M salary.

Now under Rubenstein it's nothing more than a rounding error and the Orioles aren't forced to hold onto an inferior ballplayer because of guaranteed money. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Rutschman only got the year because he finished 2nd in ROY.   He was injured in ST.  We’ll never know for sure if they would have tried to manipulate his service time.

Got it. I dunno, I just don't see a lot of obvious cases of Elias manipulating service time. You'd think this would be the best player to manipulate service time with and he didn't. I fail to see how that relates to an extension or to the owner. The guy told us himself it wasn't about service time and it wasn't. I get that no GM would cop to that, but when it comes to egregious manipulation, Elias is not an offender historically, therefore I tend to believe him about that stuff. 

Doesn't mean his reasons for sending him down weren't weird as hell though! Bc they were. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

The Kemp deal was always to DFA in mind and pocket a guy in AAA in case of injury on the big league club. No one is going to touch that million I don't think and we will be nestled at Norfolk, waiting in the wings.

Assuming Kemp is willing to go to Norfolk to be depth. Maybe it was discussed with him and for a $1 million, he was willing to go AAA. I still think Maton is a better depth piece.

37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The other odd thing was that Kemp was already plan B, as we had Kolton Wong in camp and he was going to be the Holliday placeholder.   They must have seen something over the course of the spring that made them think that Wong was SO bad that he was not even adequate for that role, so they went out and got Kemp.

If he accepts the Norfolk assignment vs asking for his release, I imagine it was because Wong would not do that and Kemp would. If he asks for his release, then I'm out of reasoning.