I want Matusz in the rotation....

jdouble777

He is good enough to pitch in the Majors right now. I think it is better for his development to pitch in the Majors. He could be pitching at 70% and still succeed in the minors. At the majors, if he is doing something wrong the opposing hitters will tell him right away. Allow him to adjust right away instead of doing something for 2-3 months wrong and then call him in up in the Summer months when the ball is flying off the bats.

It isn't as clear cut as that. What if you shatter his confidence and ruin him?

He's pitched at college and a few innings at AFL. That would mean that he has pitched roughly a few innings at the AA equivalent. Give him some time. He'll be up here soon enough, and when he is, he'll be ready.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isn't as clear cut as that. What if you shatter his confidence and ruin him?

He's pitched at college and a few innings at AFL. That would mean that he has pitched roughly a few innings at the AA equivalent. Give him some time. He'll be up here soon enough, and when he is, he'll be ready.

I don't think he will be hit hard if he started in the big. Let him pitch 150 innings in the bigs and shut him down.

I don't think he will be hit hard if he started in the big. Let him pitch 150 innings in the bigs and shut him down.

So then we'll have 24 men on a 25 man staff come late July/early August? In order for that to work as you suggest it, he'll have to be in the minors.

He is good enough to pitch in the Majors right now. I think it is better for his development to pitch in the Majors.
And you know this from reading about 5 of the innings he's pitched in Spring Training?

He pitched well in the AFL, but he wasn't completely dominant. I think its silly to suggest that starting him in the majors this year would be anything but a completely terrible decision.

So then we'll have 24 men on a 25 man staff come late July/early August? In order for that to work as you suggest it, he'll have to be in the minors.

Why? Is it not allowed to send him down in August and call someone else up?

And you know this from reading about 5 of the innings he's pitched in Spring Training?

He pitched well in the AFL, but he wasn't completely dominant. I think its silly to suggest that starting him in the majors this year would be anything but a completely terrible decision.

I saw him pitch in College. Reading what Trembley is saying about him, he has 3 major league pitches. He isn't going to learn anything in the minors. His learning is going to come in the bigs.

One of the biggest reason he won't be here is the same reason Wieters won't be here on opening day and that's over the arbitration/free egency issue that enables the Orioles to gain an extra year before they will be eligible for free agency if they don't spend the entire year in Baltimore.

Saying that, I'd like to see Matusz start off in Bowie where he'll face much better competition than Frederick which will make him throw all of his pitches and not just dominate with his curveball. If he's dominating then I don't see any reason not to bring him up by mid-season.

One of the biggest reason he won't be here is the same reason Wieters won't be here on opening day and that's over the arbitration/free egency issue that enables the Orioles to gain an extra year before they will be eligible for free agency if they don't spend the entire year in Baltimore.

Saying that, I'd like to see Matusz start off in Bowie where he'll face much better competition than Frederick which will make him throw all of his pitches and not just dominate with his curveball. If he's dominating then I don't see any reason not to bring him up by mid-season.

Would you be ok if he made 6 starts at each stop, and then brought him up?

I ask because, I agree that he should be facing better talent, but I also think he should not be rushed.

Sure, if you want to use one of his option years, which would be unnecessary since you suggest he is already a MLB pitcher.

I just don't want the kid to throw 200+ ip in his first season. That type of jump in innings from College would increase his chances of injury in the 2010 season. Send him down in August and shut him down. Don't let him throw until he gets ready for next season.

I just don't want the kid to throw 200+ ip in his first season. That type of jump in innings from College would increase his chances of injury in the 2010 season. Send him down in August and shut him down. Don't let him throw until he gets ready for next season.

Well if you don't think he can handle the load, doesn't that make him less MLB ready than you suggested previously?

This could be an exciting year around here.

Well if you don't think he can handle the load, doesn't that make him less MLB ready than you suggested previously?

Not at all. I think he can probably handle 200 ips, I just don't want to risk it. Even if he starts in the Minors, I dont want him throwing over 150 innings.

Archived