Observations from tonight's blowout

DocJJ

Sometimes we need to tip our hat to the other team.  We weren't hitting or pitching.  They were.

People under-estimate Peralta as "just" a 5 and diver.

MIL is a good team.  Ortiz looks like he could be an answer to one of their holes.  Chourio having a ROY start.  And Yelich is a competitor.  Hoskins > Tellez.  Other than the long-term decision of cashing out on Burnes, they made some good moves this off-season.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

It’s early, but based on the Burnes interview he doesn’t seem to view the Orioles as a glass of water in the desert.  He was given a number of opportunities to be effusive in his praise of the Orioles organization and opted to be slightly more muted.  He seems like a guy that at the moment sees this as a way station on his way to his ultimate destination.  This is not to say that he won’t try his hardest or doesn’t see the team as a contender, merely that he doesn’t seem to be so impressed that the Orioles as an organization are any better than Milwaukee.   I think we as fans want to believe the team and organization are special, but it might be that they a very good organization among a handful of other very good organizations. 

All you say/propose could be correct. But I struggle to see the problem/issue.

All players at the professional level are independent contractors at the end of the day. Yes, they want to win and are hyper competitive, but they also want to get paid. He is one year away from receiving generational transforming money and he knows that his performance will determine that.

When it comes to him viewing the Orioles as an oasis in a desert, why would he do that? He’s coming from a winning/successful organization and going to another. The Orioles have not done anything on the field (during his tenure as a pro) that is any better than the Brewers. We HOPE that they get there, but they have a long way to go.

I went to the game as part of a fundraiser for my daughter's school, so I was happy to go.  But it was not fun to watch.  But I need to know from others if it seemed like the Brewers were being a little showboaty or sort of in your face-ish.  One instance in particular makes me ask, before the benches cleared, was in maybe the 4th or 5th inning, the Brewers struck out an Oriole batter on a close pitch with the batter sort of standing stunned in the box when their catcher pops up, bounded a couple leaps in the air (edit - toward his bench) and hurled the ball into the upper deck.  The batter was still in the box.  It all happened fast, but I was kind of stunned.  I haven't seen anything like that.

I'm sorry on not having better details our seats were in 81 under cover with no vantage point of the Jumbotron. lol  and other than the phone I had trouble following who was up or any other info about the game in the midst of my daughter talking my ear off the whole time which was, admittedly, the whole reason for going to the game in the first place.  Good night out, terrible game.

Edited by drjohnnyfever1

13 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I went to the game as part of a fundraiser for my daughter's school, so I was happy to go.  But it was not fun to watch.  But I need to know from others if it seemed like the Brewers were being a little showboaty or sort of in your face-ish.  One instance in particular makes me ask, before the benches cleared, was in maybe the 4th or 5th inning, the Brewers struck out an Oriole batter on a close pitch with the batter sort of standing stunned in the box when their catcher pops up, bounded a couple leaps in the air (edit - toward his bench) and hurled the ball into the upper deck.  The batter was still in the box.  It all happened fast, but I was kind of stunned.  I haven't seen anything like that.

I'm sorry on not having better details our seats were in 81 under cover with no vantage point of the Jumbotron. lol  and other than the phone I had trouble following who was up or any other info about the game in the midst of my daughter talking my ear off the whole time which was, admittedly, the whole reason for going to the game in the first place.  Good night out, terrible game.

It's unclear what caused the BS between McCann and Adames. I think what Contreras did may be a part of it because McCann was talking to him as well. The way Contreras came out of the dungout when it all started was like a guy who instigated some garbage and wanted to get into the mess, but that's just my own speculation. Hyde said after the game he was going to keep the reason for the beef in house.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It's unclear what caused the BS between McCann and Adames. I think what Contreras did may be a part of it because McCann was talking to him as well. The way Contreras came out of the dungout when it all started was like a guy who instigated some garbage and wanted to get into the mess, but that's just my own speculation. Hyde said after the game he was going to keep the reason for the beef in house.

Adames said it was over something stupid.  I’m guessing McCann started it by saying “Bud!”  Adames said “Bud Light!” and it just escalated from there.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

People seem to think that it’s a given that Irvin is the one to move to the bullpen when Means comes back but I’m not sure why that is. Wells certainly is a contender, he’s been pretty bad. 

Wells also has reliever experience and could be the extra bullpen piece they need out there.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wells also has reliever experience and could be the extra bullpen piece they need out there.

True, but I think he gets a longer leash than Irvin and he’s still in jeopardy if Bradish makes it back.

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

It’s early, but based on the Burnes interview he doesn’t seem to view the Orioles as a glass of water in the desert.  He was given a number of opportunities to be effusive in his praise of the Orioles organization and opted to be slightly more muted.  He seems like a guy that at the moment sees this as a way station on his way to his ultimate destination.  This is not to say that he won’t try his hardest or doesn’t see the team as a contender, merely that he doesn’t seem to be so impressed that the Orioles as an organization are any better than Milwaukee.   I think we as fans want to believe the team and organization are special, but it might be that they a very good organization among a handful of other very good organizations. 

Did you expect Burnes to trash an organization that he's been in his entire career? I didn't hear the interview, but I doubt Burnes is doing anything but trying his absolute best every time out there. Whether that's because he wants the huge pay day waiting for him or because he loves being an Orioles so much, isn't really the point. 

If Burnes is here for one year and the Orioles win the World Series series this year or at least gets into the World Series, no one is going to be upset that he was acquired this year to go for it.

I liked Ortiz a lot. I actually wavered on putting him ahead of Cowser on the prospect list last year. He should have been the Orioles starting second baseman last year though that's debatable between him and Westburg (Just should not have been Frazier). 

But, saying all that, with the options at hand in the infield, Ortiz was the exact kind of asset you move for an ace like Burnes. I don't want to see him getting 3 hits against Orioles pitching of course, but I hope he becomes an outstanding major league player.

8 hours ago, SouthRider said:

Did you people actually watch the Burnes interview on Foul Territory?  The "they" comment was in reference to the AAA team.  They asked him if the O's club house was aware of what Norfolk is doing down there and do the O's check them out.  He replied, "We've been seeing it.  The guys in our club house have played with a lot of those guys. "  He then mentions all the guys mashing for Norfolk by name.  He calls Stowers, "Stowser"; but gets everyone else's name right.  He then goes on to say how tough it is for the AAA  guys,  "The lineup that we have can produce 10 runs on any given night is pretty special and the depth that this organization has is kind of scary for years to come."     

Regarding Holliday, he mentions he told Jackson to stay away from him because of all the cameras and hype.   He said he would talk to Jackson when the hype dies down to ensure he is comfortable.  Honestly, I view that as veteran leadership.  Nothing Burnes said was douchie in any way.  

Thanks for that take. I was wondering what the "concern" was all about. Seems to be about nothing.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

True, but I think he gets a longer leash than Irvin and he’s still in jeopardy if Bradish makes it back.

Irvin can provide length to a rotation that becomes all right-handed if he leaves, but the Orioles tend to not use long relievers but prefer more of those two inning types. 

To me, Wells is a guy who has missed bats in a reliever role and while I'm not thrilled with him being in one-run games due to his penchant for giving up home runs, he is a guy that I feel good about later in games with a lead.

Irvin is not a good fit for Fenway Park, but I still think he's a decent fit for Camden Yards with Waltimore out there.

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure we're going to want him there if he keeps offering up a turd of a performance. 

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

People seem to think that it’s a given that Irvin is the one to move to the bullpen when Means comes back but I’m not sure why that is. Wells certainly is a contender, he’s been pretty bad. 

I think Irvin is a better starter than Wells.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Irvin can provide length to a rotation that becomes all right-handed if he leaves, but the Orioles tend to not use long relievers but prefer more of those two inning types. 

To me, Wells is a guy who has missed bats in a reliever role and while I'm not thrilled with him being in one-run games due to his penchant for giving up home runs, he is a guy that I feel good about later in games with a lead.

Irvin is not a good fit for Fenway Park, but I still think he's a decent fit for Camden Yards with Waltimore out there.

Irvin had a 5.03 ERA at home last year and 7.20 in one start this year.   

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Not sure we're going to want him there if he keeps offering up a turd of a performance. 

The good news is that it's been more about location than stuff, as Wells repertoire looks a lot like last year. I'm not too worried overall, and his stuff tends to play up in relief.