Observations from tonight's blowout

DocJJ

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'd seriously think about Norby, Kjerstad and Mayo very soon...this team simply cant put together good at bats with RISP and less than 2 outs...

Where are they going to play?   Westburg is looking good and Holliday will get it going.  That’s a pretty good looking infield.  Cowser, Mullins, and Santander in the OF.  O’Hearn at DH.   Who are you bumping to get 2 or 3 of those guys regular at bats?

Frankly, I like the way the lineup looks right now.   Barring injury, it’s tough for me to see who goes or who you consider the weak link.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Where are they going to play?   Westburg is looking good and Holliday will get it going.  That’s a pretty good looking infield.  Cowser, Mullins, and Santander in the OF.  O’Hearn at DH.   Who are you bumping to get 2 or 3 of those guys regular at bats?

Frankly, I like the way the lineup looks right now.   Barring injury, it’s tough for me to see who goes or who you consider the weak link.

Your point is well taken, but Urias been invisible, Mateo hasn’t been good on defense, and he hasn’t gotten on base enough to make a difference there, and Hayes could be sent down pretty easily. There’s three guys right there. Mayo is bad on defense and probably destined for 1B/DH, which means that with MC, OH and him you got three guys for two spots and none of them can play reliable outfield. Povich kjested and mayo and find places for them.

it is really a shame to lose Urius and Mateo for next to nothing, but is it better to hoard them as they play lousy-or not at all- and cost the team important wins?

Just now, Philip said:

Your point is well taken, but Urias been invisible, Mateo hasn’t been good on defense, and he hasn’t gotten on base enough to make a difference there, and Hayes could be sent down pretty easily. There’s three guys right there. Mayo is bad on defense and probably destined for 1B/DH, which means that with MC, OH and him you got three guys for two spots and none of them can play reliable outfield. Povich kjested and mayo and find places for them.

it is really a shame to lose Urius and Mateo for next to nothing, but is it better to hoard them as they play lousy-or not at all- and cost the team important wins?

So, you’re going to call up Norby, Mayo, and Kjerstad and have them play as often as Hays, Urias, and Mateo are right now?   Nice.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, you’re going to call up Norby, Mayo, and Kjerstad and have them play as often as Hays, Urias, and Mateo are right now?   Nice.

As I said, in my last comment, “your point is well taken.” But the fact remains that Hays can easily be replaced right now. Hays Mateo and Urias contribute nothing right now. And the reason they’re not playing is because they’re contributing nothing, even in their limited roles.

Switching out Hays for Kjested is easy, and even if he also gives you nothing, it’s a net plus because he’s getting the experience he needs. Hays, God Bless Him, is just a black hole right now.

Mateo and Urias will be quite valuable on the waiver wire, but that’s just one of the penalties of having an excellent group of players from whom to choose.

And I’d bring up those two and Povich. he may struggle a little bit, but my God can he be worse than Ramirez? Tell me again why we got Ramirez? So we wouldn’t have to call up Povich? 

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

As I said, in my last comment, “your point is well taken.” But the fact remains that Hays can easily be replaced right now. Hays Mateo and Urias contribute nothing right now. And the reason they’re not playing is because they’re contributing nothing, even in their limited roles.

Switching out Hays for Kjested is easy, and even if he also gives you nothing, it’s a net plus because he’s getting the experience he needs. Hays, God Bless Him, is just a black hole right now.

Mateo and Urias will be quite valuable on the waiver wire, but that’s just one of the penalties of having an excellent group of players from whom to choose.

And I’d bring up those two and Povich. he may struggle a little bit, but my God can he be worse than Ramirez? Tell me again why we got Ramirez? So we wouldn’t have to call up Povich? 

With LH hitters at all 3 outfield positions and one at DH, it makes no sense to call Kjerstad up.  Povich is showing his first sustained success as a starter and you want to take him out of that and stick him in our bullpen.   Makes no sense.   Norby makes some sense if Hays goes.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

With LH hitters at all 3 outfield positions and one at DH, it makes no sense to call Kjerstad up.  Povich is showing his first sustained success as a starter and you want to take him out of that and stick him in our bullpen.   Makes no sense.   Norby makes some sense if Hays goes.

Mayo is a righty, so no reason not to call him up, and Norby is a righty, he can come up too.

Povich can either be long relief or start, and even in the bullpen, he’ll probably be better than our last two or three warm bodies. Also, it’s not uncommon to bring a guy up as long relief and ease him into the Rotation over time.

Suarez is better than Ramirez, so I can’t understand why they didn’t bring him up, unless they are wanting him to start.

if they want him to start, today would have been good.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

It feels like the guys that know they are on their way out— Hays, Mateo, and Urias are almost depressed.  It’s reasonable that they would be.  I hope they get over it. If not, may be time to go full youth.  

Nailed it. I can't believe I haven't seen anyone write an article about this or talk about it on Masn. The fact that there are 4-5 studs at AAA Is great for the Orioles but not great for chemistry if you are a veteran who was on awful teams and then won 101 games last year and now may lose your job.

I'm very worried about the psychological impact all of these AAA guys are having on the club and don't know what the answer is. On the one hand, it's great to have talent in the pipeline as they are cheap. But on the other hand, it's not like we know they are way better than the guys we have now. I mean Hays started in the all-star game last year.

To constantly know you could be replaced has to have a huge psychological impact. I'm wondering if Elias thinks he can trade some of the veterans. I don't think he'll get much as other teams know we want to unload them. I guess at the deadline people always know that but it if he wants to make any moves now, I think there would be fewer buyers than at the deadline.

Edited by Rojo13

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Kjerstad I can at least see a role for.  Mayo is going to take Urias' place at 2B/3B and Norby is Mateo's replacement as SS & CF backup.  I'm especially interested in seeing Norby play SS/CF.

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Kjerstad I can at least see a role for.  Mayo is going to take Urias' place at 2B/3B and Norby is Mateo's replacement as SS & CF backup.  I'm especially interested in seeing Norby play SS/CF.

Mayo plays 3B, but he’s gotten limited time at 1B.  He will never play 2B.

Norby doesn’t play either SS or CF.  He’s been almost exclusively 2B and LF in the minors. 

• Upvote 2

People will say SSS but these beat downs by the brewers have so glaringly manifested the orioles issues it’s totally shaken my hopes for the season. This is 2023 playoffs “you don’t belong here” beat down the rangers put on Baltimore last year.  Besides burnes and Rodriguez, does anyone in the pitching staff, pen or starters, inspire confidence? This staff is 2019 unapologetic tanking bad. I went to both games and left before the end of the 7th of each game. Beyond disappointing.

Bring up Kjerstad who looked good in his call up last year.  Bring Holliday along slowly since he is struggling.  Keep one of Mateo/Urias and unload the other.  Hays can be the fourth outfielder for now.  

This team needs Earl Weaver.  As most of you know, Earl was a master at platooning the right guys.  

See where we are at the trading deadline this year.  Should be interesting.