Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

8 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's coming off a career year, he's about to turn 30, and he's arguably the #2 hitter after Juan Soto in this year's free agent class, AND basically everybody is desperate for offense right now. He will never have a better opportunity to cash in and he will 100% take advantage of that opportunity.

He will decline the QO without a moment's hesitation or second thought. 

Lol, early this year I was in the minority saying the O's would offer a QO, now he is a lock to reject? If he is second to Soto it is a very distant second. Santander vs Profar vs Alonso will be more interesting than Santander vs Soto. Again, I think you are likely right but I don't think the chance is zero. There have been players with significantly more career WAR take the QO. 

20 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's coming off a career year, he's about to turn 30, and he's arguably the #2 hitter after Juan Soto in this year's free agent class, AND basically everybody is desperate for offense right now. He will never have a better opportunity to cash in and he will 100% take advantage of that opportunity.

He will decline the QO without a moment's hesitation or second thought. 

Mark Trumbo

Lol. Yeah right. Ok

12 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

His 2024 OPS+ is 11 points higher than his previous full season career high.

Whether that's a fluke, a new gear, or a contract year mirage is up to the individual to decide.

He's basically played 150+ games, gotten 650 PAs, had an OPS+ of 120 and been worth 2.5-3 WAR the last two years.

This year he's going to play 150 games, get 650 PAs, have an OPS+ of 130 and be worth 3+ WAR.

It's probably a career year, but it didn't come out of nowhere and it isn't some giant unprecedented step.

1 minute ago, Baseball fandom said:

I agree this fan base has gotten so used to a cheap payroll it's almost like they want to continue like this forever.

It’s almost like you make really dumb assumptions because people don’t want to sign guys to stupid contracts.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s how best season by a pretty solid margin.  I’d agree it’s bit wildly out of line, but it’s a significant step forward for him.  

Not by WAR.

It's probably his career year, but to think he could do what he did the last two years for the next few years isn't unreasonable.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That’s completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

I don't think anybody is going to sign him to some contract that was unthinkable last year.

Yeah, he'll get more than he was in line to because he's had a good year, but I don't see anybody throwing 120 million at him.

But I might be wrong.  It only takes one.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't think anybody is going to sign him to some contract that was unthinkable last year.

Yeah, he'll get more than he was in line to because he's had a good year, but I don't see anybody throwing 120 million at him.

But I might be wrong.  It only takes one.

I think he’s getting 70-100M over 3-5 years which is, unquestionably, more than he would have gotten last year.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he’s getting 70-100M over 3-5 years which is, unquestionably, more than he would have gotten last year.

I always thought he'd get more than the consensus here did anyway.

I thought he was looking at a 3-50 coming into this year.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, early this year I was in the minority saying the O's would offer a QO, now he is a lock to reject? If he is second to Soto it is a very distant second. Santander vs Profar vs Alonso will be more interesting than Santander vs Soto. Again, I think you are likely right but I don't think the chance is zero. There have been players with significantly more career WAR take the QO. 

But were they coming off the hands-down best year of their career and heading into a weak free agent class with a long line of potential suitors chomping at the bit to add offense to their clubs?

He will be able to at least triple the QO in free agency, maybe even quadruple it. If I was his agent, he would have to step over my corpse to reach the desk the 1 year QO contract is resting on to sign it.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's basically played 150+ games, gotten 650 PAs, had an OPS+ of 120 and been worth 2.5-3 WAR the last two years.

This year he's going to play 150 games, get 650 PAs, have an OPS+ of 130 and be worth 3+ WAR.

It's probably a career year, but it didn't come out of nowhere and it isn't some giant unprecedented step.

I agree that it isn't a crazy outlier, but it is a clear career year that just so happened to coincide with his walk year.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I always thought he'd get more than the consensus here did anyway.

I thought he was looking at a 3-50 coming into this year.

Yea that was possible…which is why I didn’t want to offer the QO because it’s possible he takes the QO (which will be 22-23M) and then try a longer deal after.

But now the QO is definitely rejected. This year has definitely made him money and we shouldn’t even consider it.