Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

Only thrown out 18% of baserunners this year.   I know some of that is probably due to Kimbrel and Burnes.   But Adley has to take some of the blame too.   Could definitely see a lot of his struggles stemming from back issues.

He is what he is, a slightly above average hitter, a slightly below average catcher, who may already be past his prime as he seems to be aging poorly.

If Basallo is the future at C I would definitely be looking to trade him for pitching prospects in the off season.

8 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He is what he is, a slightly above average hitter, a slightly below average catcher, who may already be past his prime as he seems to be aging poorly.

If Basallo is the future at C I would definitely be looking to trade him for pitching prospects in the off season.

The one thing I will say about Basallo is that Adley was a can't-miss offensive and defensive catcher, and tore up the minor leagues. If people think Basallo is going to catch and somehow out-hit Adley in the MLs, they are delusional. 

I would prefer they move Basallo off C now and preserve his ability to hit. 

• Upvote 1

Wasn't even aware of how bad his advance stats are

Bat Speed :17, Exit velocity:41, Hard hit:45, Framing:18, CS: 38

He blocks well, doesn't K much, but that's about it for his above average skills

Definitely not a guy that will get a big extension or be worth his arb numbers.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He blocks well, doesn't K much, but that's about it for his above average skills

How does that compare with his numbers last year?

46 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Here is the full savant rundown.  Lots of “red” on here so it’s misstatement that blocking and Ks are his only above average skills 

image.thumb.png.5cccbfccc4061f88b5ebb39f464c50fc.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Say O! said:

Here is the full savant rundown.  Lots of “red” on here so it’s misstatement that blocking and Ks are his only above average skills 

image.thumb.png.5cccbfccc4061f88b5ebb39f464c50fc.png

Above average pop time and below average CS tells us that the pitchers are a bigger problem than Adley in the run game. 

18 minutes ago, iiiput said:

Above average pop time and below average CS tells us that the pitchers are a bigger problem than Adley in the run game. 

TTP + Pop Time + Throw Time  => Caught/Not Caught

Fast Pop Time may just indicate that his arm is especially weak, which appears to be the case as many of his throws bounce to second.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do think it’s fair to start to question if signing him to an extension is the smart thing to do.

Adley is low on my extension priority list, even if he wasn't in a bit of a slump. He is a college draftee, meaning he will be an older FA, and as a C he is going to have a lot of wear and tear on his body. If I am being honest, Adley's defense at C isn't all that great. He is great at blocking but not much else. Plus we have Basallo in the pipeline. I might be interested in buying out one or two years but I doubt his people will be interested.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

The one thing I will say about Basallo is that Adley was a can't-miss offensive and defensive catcher, and tore up the minor leagues. If people think Basallo is going to catch and somehow out-hit Adley in the MLs, they are delusional. 

I would prefer they move Basallo off C now and preserve his ability to hit. 

This is something that is very very fair.  To be honest, I haven't considered this, but it is dead on.  Same for Wieters, right?  You see these guys are great hitters in the minors, but it is very hard to guarantee that it translates in the pros.

Wieters last posted an OPS+ over 100 (101) in his age 29 season.  So its not like catchers always have the longest prime either.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

TTP + Pop Time + Throw Time  => Caught/Not Caught

Fast Pop Time may just indicate that his arm is especially weak, which appears to be the case as many of his throws bounce to second.

His pop time (time from receiving until his throw is caught at second) is top 25 (which is down from top 14) in league. His arm is top 20 this year (avg 84.6 mph which is down from 85.3). So he has regressed a little but a lot of this is still on our pitchers. 

His hitting a fielding regressions may mean he’s been playing through an undisclosed injury