Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

Can anybody explain why Suarez consistently throws less hard as a RP? His average fastball on the season is 95 MPH, but last night was 93.5 MPH. It’s exactly what happened when Suarez was a RP earlier this year.

SPs typically pick up a tick or two when going to the pen, not the other way. Suarez throwing 96-97 as a RP, or even just maintaining his 95 as a SP when in the pen, is interesting. Suarez with a 93 MPH fastball isn’t a MLB pitcher. 

It’s bizarre, I don’t know if they need to figure out a better warmup routine or something? His brother seems to have figured it out just fine - ask him for tips?

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Can anybody explain why Suarez consistently throws less hard as a RP? His average fastball on the season is 95 MPH, but last night was 93.5 MPH. It’s exactly what happened when Suarez was a RP earlier this year.

SPs typically pick up a tick or two when going to the pen, not the other way. Suarez throwing 96-97 as a RP, or even just maintaining his 95 as a SP when in the pen, is interesting. Suarez with a 93 MPH fastball isn’t a MLB pitcher. 

It’s bizarre, I don’t know if they need to figure out a better warmup routine or something? His brother seems to have figured it out just fine - ask him for tips?

It's really strange, I agree. He didn't look comfortable last night at all. His command and stuff have been slowly deteriorating all year IMO. I kind of wonder if he's got a little bit of an injury, saw him kind of stretch his back/shoulders at one point, but it might be something he always does, not sure. 

Suarez has really been a life saver for this team considering they found him on the scrap heap of foreign league available players. 

image.thumb.png.43a0019737f19d3c85cc84f50f818962.png

While not earth shattering, Suarez has been good overall based on his 4 pitching runs value overall. He's a solid 5th starter but he's a 5 inning guy who is going to have some clunkers when has command is off.

Outside of a terrible July, he's been pretty good and hopefully last night showed he's ready to get back on track.

He's a two times through the order, 75-pitch, guy so there is going to be some solid bullpen work needed when he pitches.

image.thumb.png.b6211b0b3446977f16e7bd1c360bea1c.png

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Suarez has really been a life saver for this team considering they found him on the scrap heap of foreign league available players. 

image.thumb.png.43a0019737f19d3c85cc84f50f818962.png

While not earth shattering, Suarez has been good overall based on his 4 pitching runs value overall. He's a solid 5th starter but he's a 5 inning guy who is going to have some clunkers when has command is off.

Outside of a terrible July, he's been pretty good and hopefully last night showed he's ready to get back on track.

He's a two times through the order, 75-pitch, guy so there is going to be some solid bullpen work needed when he pitches.

image.thumb.png.b6211b0b3446977f16e7bd1c360bea1c.png

What makes him a viable #5 SP is that he doesn't give up homers.  So he'll have his clunkers, but he's usually a good bet to go 5IP and 3 ER or less.  He keeps us in games and gives us a chance to win.  That's all you can ask for.  

He's also an example of how some guys just don't magically tick up 2-3 mph out of the pen.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:37 AM, interloper said:

It's really strange, I agree. He didn't look comfortable last night at all. His command and stuff have been slowly deteriorating all year IMO. I kind of wonder if he's got a little bit of an injury, saw him kind of stretch his back/shoulders at one point, but it might be something he always does, not sure. 

I wonder if he had a bit of a tired arm but was afraid to admit it.  For someone who it took years to make it back to MLB, he might have been afraid this was his only chance.  He seems to be back to close to early season form. 

It seems rotation will be Burnes, Eflin, Suarez, Kremer, and Rogers  (almost forgot him-I wish).  I feel a lot better about Suarez starting a playoff game right now than Kremer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wonder if he had a bit of a tired arm but was afraid to admit it.  For someone who it took years to make it back to MLB, he might have been afraid this was his only chance.  He seems to be back to close to early season form. 

It seems rotation will be Burnes, Eflin, Suarez, Kremer, and Rogers  (almost forgot him-I wish).  I feel a lot better about Suarez starting a playoff game right now than Kremer.

Quite possible to have a tired arm, especially when go from 108 innings in KBO last year, to 54 innings over winter ball, to 83 innings so far in 2024 b/w majors and Norfolk.  

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He seems to be back to close to early season form. 

Currently my confidence level pretty well matches the existing rotation order:

Eflin, Burnes, Suarez, Rogers, Kremer

(Not sure about those last two). In other words, my playoff rotation right now would include Suarez.

Edited by now

I have overlooked Al. I knew he was a pleasant surprise and was grateful.

But the stuff is really playing as a starter. 97 in the 6th. Decent secondaries. Knows how to pitch. The peripherals are solid.

Could he be our #3 starter? Have we been mistakenly looking for greener grass? I thought he would turn into a pumpkin. But my eyes tell me that if he can maintain the stuff and control, this isn’t a fluke.  

What a gutsy start today. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I have overlooked Al. I knew he was a pleasant surprise and was grateful.

But the stuff is really playing as a starter. 97 in the 6th. Decent secondaries. Knows how to pitch. The peripherals are solid.

Could he be our #3 starter? Have we been mistakenly looking for greener grass?

What a gutsy start today. 

A rotation of Burnes, Eflin, Rodriguez (when he returns), Suarez, and Povich is not that bad

Edited by xmichaelx