Is Hyde/Sigbot burying another prospect?

Tony-OH

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole “this is I a good problem to have” stuff is really bs.

If this was a complete team, this would be a good problem.

Instead, the pitching staff is incomplete and we have too many capable guys languishing away right now. 

Moves should have been made to change all of that.

I agree.  Seems like an excuse to me. 

Play the best guys.  Period.  Every other sports team in the history of the sports world does that.  Except MLB and especially the Os.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

He should be splitting time in RF with Santander vs RHP or as DH on Mountcastle off days.

So instead of having two guys in a rhythm, now you have 0. Kjerstad has a role if there is an injury to Cowser, Santa, Mounty, or O’Hearn. For now, Hicks makes more sense as a bench player with big Heston in AAA. He will be a big part of 2025+

24 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I agree.  Seems like an excuse to me. 

Play the best guys.  Period.  Every other sports team in the history of the sports world does that.  Except MLB and especially the Os.

It’s not just the concept of playing the best guys though.  I mean, in a vacuum, I agree with you. However, it is fair to ask “who is the best player” between this guy or that guy.

However, on a team that had obvious needs at pitcher, it would have been nice to make some other moves.  It would have been nice to clear some space.

Even looking at someone like Dylan Beavers..his development could get stunted. 

Having the depth is great and I certainly wanted to maintain some of that depth but give me the  little less depth and better pitching. That is the combo I wanted to see and I don’t feel they did that.

Obviously we can still be really good as things are but is really good enough?  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not just the concept of playing the best guys though.  I mean, in a vacuum, I agree with you. However, it is fair to ask “who is the best player” between this guy or that guy.

However, on a team that had obvious needs at pitcher, it would have been nice to make some other moves.  It would have been nice to clear some space.

Having the depth is great and I certainly wanted to maintain some of that depth but give me the  little less depth and better pitching. That is the combo I wanted to see and I don’t feel they did that.

What if the plan is to trade away someone like Kjerstad around the deadline for that kind of pitching that you speak of? Would that be okay with you?

I’m definitely not saying that it is going to happen or that it should happen. Just a thought..

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All good points.  Good input.

At least they won again today. 

I guess I should have bet them haha.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So instead of having two guys in a rhythm, now you have 0. Kjerstad has a role if there is an injury to Cowser, Santa, Mounty, or O’Hearn. For now, Hicks makes more sense as a bench player with big Heston in AAA. He will be a big part of 2025+

“In a rhythm”? WTF are you even talking about? And where is your evidence that an off day destroys rhythm?

In case you haven’t noticed, “Santa” is in a rhythm of looking like butt vs RHP.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What if the plan is to trade away someone like Kjerstad around the deadline for that kind of pitching that you speak of? Would that be okay with you?

I’m definitely not saying that it is going to happen or that it should happen. Just a thought..

I’m sure that is the hope. It’s just relying on a maybe instead of already having it done is “less of a sure thing”, so to speak.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole “this is a good problem to have” stuff is really bs.

If this was a complete team, this would be a good problem.

Instead, the pitching staff is incomplete and we have too many capable guys languishing away right now. 

Moves should have been made to change all of that.

I know a lot of people agree with that.  I do.  Others don't question Elias.  I stayed out of some off season threads because of the "101" contingent.  Elais has no doubt done a terrific job and I hope he's here forever.  He's also made mistakes.  Of course, no one is perfect, but I don't agree with the bullpen construction and usage.  I don't agree with the end of roster decisions, which involve some kids in Norfolk.  The Kjerstad situation is stupid.  Hyde is an extension of this.  Doesn't mean I'm always right, ME knows far more than I, but the pen could be better and the clock is ticking on some prospects.

So, yeah, I'm really happy with the overall direction of the team and the talent on hand.  It's exciting.  Great job.  I think it could be even better.  Now that the new owner is here, I really hope we see a couple extensions.  I really hope Elias does better than adding a Fuji and Flaherty this year.  Those failures get magnified in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

“In a rhythm”? WTF are you even talking about? And where is your evidence that an off day destroys rhythm?

In case you haven’t noticed, “Santa” is in a rhythm of looking like butt vs RHP.

Social media level post. 

59 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

See I never try to get personal?  And then people like you get personal with me and show me how stupid most people are.  Which I already know. 

I never had prized race horses.  I grew up buying, training, and racing horses in Michigan  (harness horses) that were not bought for mega money.  I did the best with what I had and was available at the time.    I worked from age 21 to 40 7 days a week, 15 hours a day.  Zero  vacations.   I  then sold all my horses and moved from MI to CA and became a full time day trader.  Which I have always done even since I was a kid. 

I am always amazed at people like you.  You think that working a 9 to 5 job, or in your case just getting govt assistance and living in  your parents basement all of your life......is an accomplishment.    It isn't.  It just means you work for other people instead of yourself. 

Which is what a lot of America does these days.  Work for no one.  Take no risks.  Hooked on social media. 

Hence why America's youth is beyond F'd up.

People such as myself, and others, actually have the initiative to work and try to better themselves.  Whether that be through work or play. 

BTW I have never owned a shrimping boat.  But I am part owner of a CBD company.   Which is a loser so far. 

That’s too bad. You would have made a great Forrest Gump, but that shrimp boat is kind of essential. I’m just glad to be able to bask in the presence of all of your accomplishments that you graciously come here to share.

I think the roster composition right now is the Club honestly trying to make it the sharpest they can for a big series, and that includes Kjerstad over the field to be that Mateo, Urias or McCann pinch hitter in a big spot.

Current decisions are Urias/Mateo are better than Holiliday, and Kjerstad is better than Stowers/McKenna today.

Cowser, Santander, Mountcastle and O'Hearn are Mount Rushmore v. RHP.

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't know if Elias is reading this board. But I bet someone from the Orioles is. They would be foolish not to. It gives them tremendous insight into fan perspective. I think any organization that is healthy and attempting to thrive/grow wants to know what is on the minds of it's customers as it relates to their product.

Operating in isolation/opposition to the fans was very much on brand with the way the Angeloses appeared to run things. I don't think the Orioles under Rubenstein will have such a posture.

Well said.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree with this, but it's apparent they brought him up to be the 26th man.

I've never been a big Kjerstad fan so I'm not really upset about it but I also agree with you...if you're going to bring someone up that's ranked like he is, you play them.

If it were me, I'd be on the horn trying to trade him for a great bullpen arm.

Until they flail for a couple weeks and the fans demand he be sent down again. Seems we all like to huff and puff. I don’t think the optimal way of finding your way at this level has been modeled all that well.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m sure that is the hope. It’s just relying on a maybe instead of already having it done is “less of a sure thing”, so to speak.

I think it's more of a plan than a hope. I feel quite confident that players will be available and we can be the highest bidder if we want to. Feels like the tone here (not you specifically) is assuming failure. Admittedly Flaherty is precedent for that assumption but we have good reason to believe this year is not the same as last year (new ownership, Burnes, Holliday experiment). Yeah, a bullpen arm would have made it an A++++ offseason but Elias pulled off a trade for one of the top starters in the game. Also signed one of the top closers available. Let's give him some credit and see how it plays out.