Is Hyde/Sigbot burying another prospect?

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I get it, like I said, I personally think is a temporary move for a bench player while Hays is on the IL and not a trial run for a really long look at him yet. If the argument is O'Hearn isn't good out there, I'll buy that every day all day, I will also say that O'Hearn, right now, is a much more valuable bat to have in the lineup at this point in the season.

I still think you are missing the point a bit. This is not about taking any players out long term. O'Hearn is a starter on this team against RHP, and he should be. But say the Orioles run into a strong of right-handed pitching, what's wrong with giving him a day off? Now you have a great bat in the bench and you keep Kjerstad fresh so he can be a better bat on the bench. this is a team running out McCann, Mateo and Urias against lefties and sometimes righties so there are PH opportunities late in games. 

Anyways, my whole point is giving guys off one day a week or once every 8-9 games to get him into games 3-4 times a week doesn't seem hard with a little lineup creativity. Isn't that the whole reason for having players be versatile?

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's one thing if Kjerstad was Terry Crowley or Benny Ayala whose role was to pinch hit and might only get one or two at bats in a week. The team has their reasons, but I don't see the value of Kjerstad being up here if he doesn't start cracking the lineup.

Yeah, that's right.  There are those pinch hit extraordinaire types that can do it because that's their role, although I think that's more of a yesteryear type thing.  

I agree on all points about Santander having a slow start this year, I don't believe anyone should think that's who he is...it's just a slow start.  But that doesn't mean he can't be spelled from time to time, either.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

You took it the wrong way.  I was attempting to make a joke about them not being sure if they should care about what the fans thought because they didnt have the stats finished on the study of if they should care what the fans thought.  It was not a snarky comment pointed at you just an attempt at humor.  

Really I was just joking that the front office is perhaps too stat driven.  Again I was not insulting you.  

If you felt like you were making a joke, you have a very odd way of writing a joke. That 100% came across as a big FU to me for writing what I wrote.

• Downvote 2

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, that's right.  There are those pinch hit extraordinaire types that can do it because that's their role, although I think that's more of a yesteryear type thing.  

I agree on all points about Santander having a slow start this year, I don't believe anyone should think that's who he is...it's just a slow start.  But that doesn't mean he can't be spelled from time to time, either.

FWIW Santander's career OPS in Mar/Apr is .661 and his OPS right now is .701. Santander should start playing better and I wouldn't bench him perhaps give him the occasional day off.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=santaan02&year=Career&t=b

image.thumb.png.de1732b38d3d0c529892cd0e74c43bc8.png

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I still think you are missing the point a bit. This is not about taking any players out long term. O'Hearn is a starter on this team against RHP, and he should be. But say the Orioles run into a strong of right-handed pitching, what's wrong with giving him a day off? Now you have a great bat in the bench and you keep Kjerstad fresh so he can be a better bat on the bench. this is a team running out McCann, Mateo and Urias against lefties and sometimes righties so there are PH opportunities late in games. 

Anyways, my whole point is giving guys off one day a week or once every 8-9 games to get him into games 3-4 times a week doesn't seem hard with a little lineup creativity. Isn't that the whole reason for having players be versatile?

I don't disagree, and I know they've faced at least 3 RHP since he was brought up and he has only gotten 1 start. I suspect if Hays ends up being out longer then what you have proposed will start to happen more frequently. It felt, to me, like a callup for a bench spot until Hays felt better. I haven't heard any updates on him and if his DL stint is longer, they need to get Kjerstad into 3-4 games a week somehow.

Just now, Warehouse said:

Actually, you have it reversed. During the Angelos years, there was more of a focus on overruling baseball ops to placate perceived fan opinion. Play Leo Gomez. Don’t trade vets for prospects. Keep Chris Davis in Baltimore long term.

Rubenstein’s style seems to be more focused on letting management execute its strategy independently without worrying about the weathervane of fan opinion.

It’s one thing to argue that Kjerstad should play more. It’s another thing entirely to argue that he should play more because that’s what fans want to see.

I disagree. Do you think Rubenstein would ever make the type of potentially alienating comments publicly to the fans that JA in particular did? Could you ever see him coming out after opening day and talking about how he couldn't/wouldn't resign great young players?

I don't see that. How many healthy sports orgs operate in a way in which the owner doesn't care what fans think as a general principal? He/she might trust his/her executives to make unpopular moves at times sure. But they also understand that fan engagement, participation, attendance and most of all SALES is extremely vital to the value of the org. One of the first things that Rubenstien did was to address the fans and speak to their importance. He's no idiot (not that you are calling him one). He's far from it. As a long time "fan" of the team himself, he observed how things were run as it relates to the fans/customers. He knows that it is not in his best interest to run things that way.

Last thing, I'm most certainly not arguing that Kjerstad should play because that's what some fans want. I was speaking in a much broader sense in that it is unlikely that Rubenstien will green light an approach that is not interested in growing his customer base (operating in isolation/alienation of the fans).

Who have they buried so far?

1. Ortiz

2. Stowers

3. Kjerstad

Anyone else?

Ortiz was used as an asset.

Stowers.  I think everybody overrates him.  Currently hitting .248 in AAA.

Kjerstad.  He’ll either be used in a trade or have a great chance at replacing Santander next year.  

Meanwhile, Westburg and Cowser not buried.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Can I get a definition of what people around here mean when they say Sigbot? Because I always assumed it meant Sig Mejdal. However that makes little sense given the context with Mike Elias as the GM out ranking him.

There appears to be a contingent who appears to believe that a computer makes every decision for the team.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Can I get a definition of what people around here mean when they say Sigbot? Because I always assumed it meant Sig Mejdal. However that makes little sense given the context with Mike Elias as the GM out ranking him.

IMO, Sigbot is Sig Mejdal and whatever fancy algorithms and analytics he's looking at to make his decisions.  

So it's just Sig Mejdal, really.

Though I'm not exactly sure what he has to do with it in this particular case.  I mean, I don't know what analytics model would have him go "Hey, let's take this guy who's ripping up AAA pitching, bring him up and play him once a week, that'll help the team AND him tremendously."

I think this one sits on the shoulders of Elias and Hyde, really.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I disagree. Do you think Rubenstein would ever make the type of potentially alienating comments publicly to the fans that JA in particular did? Could you ever see him coming out after opening day and talking about how he couldn't/wouldn't resign great young players?

I don't see that. How many healthy sports orgs operate in a way in which the owner doesn't care what fans think as a general principal? He/she might trust his/her executives to make unpopular moves at times sure. But they also understand that fan engagement, participation, attendance and most of all SALES is extremely vital to the value of the org. One of the first things that Rubenstien did was to address the fans and speak to their importance. He's no idiot (not that you are calling him one). He's far from it. As a long time "fan" of the team himself, he observed how things were run as it relates to the fans/customers. He knows that it is not in his best interest to run things that way.

Last thing, I'm most certainly not arguing that Kjerstad should play because that's what some fans want. I was speaking in a much broader sense in that it is unlikely that Rubenstien will green light an approach that is not interested in growing his customer base (operating in isolation/alienation of the fans).

100% agreed on public relations, sales, fan experience, etc.  I just don’t think he would meddle at all in Elias’s and Hyde’s decisions concerning Kjerstad’s promotion and playing time.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not understanding your argument.  Rubenstein's whole approach to baseball ownership is to not meddle.  So far, so good, from what I've been able to ascertain.

Winning puts fans in the seats...that's it.  And if the Orioles are winning, they should have relatively healthy attendance numbers.

If Rubenstein is running around worrying about Heston Kjerstad's at bats because the fans want to see him and Elias/Hyde aren't playing him, then we're screwed.  Fan engagement, participation, attendance and sales aren't driven by Heston Kjerstad's at bats.  

• Thanks 1