May 3rd @ Reds

1 minute ago, Philip said:

The Tigers have a  Good team this year.

In the 5th inning, Reese Olsen has given up exactly 2 NY hits, 4 JS only one BB.

They are pitching well, but they have some, uh, holes in the lineup to put it mildly.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yes, real NY'ers root for the Mets. NY has in fact had people born and raised in NY for many years after those teams left the state. They are real NY'ers, too.

Fake NY'ers are Yankee/Cowboys fans. There are more of those than anything here.

It’s been a tough week for Yankees fans.  The Yanks lost 3/4 against the O’s and the Lakers got eliminated from the playoffs.

• Haha 2

This looks like MASN is broadcasting Cal's last game. Here's how I remember this going... 

Cal gets up on deck with 2 outs and Brady Anderson gets to bat in front of him.. Then Brady strikes out to end the game. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

The original Orioles became the New York Highlanders which, in turn, became the New York Yankees. 

No, the original Orioles were contracted out of the National League after the 1899 season.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This looks like MASN is broadcasting Cal's last game. Here's how I remember this going... 

Cal gets up on deck with 2 outs and Brady Anderson gets to bat in front of him.. Then Brady strikes out to end the game. 

XWfC.gif

• Haha 1

I never understood why Camden Yards was painted with so much dark green back then. You would think they would try to keep it closer to team colors. Dark pine green is as far away from Orioles and baseball colors as it gets. 

Just now, Remember The Alomar said:

There is a direct lineage between the late 19th century NL Orioles and the AL Orioles of 01-02. 

Two years later.

So you think of it as a Cleveland Browns situation?

I consider them separate but if you don't I won't fight about it.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

That is correct. I was sitting in center field bleachers and remember it like it was last night. 

Even before Cal announced he was retiring, I went ahead the day the individual tix went on sale that January or whatever and bought a Yankee Stadium ticket as it would have been his last ever game. And I planned a whole mini-tour of AL East parks to see his last game in those parks. So I had his last game ticket for NY, Boston and Baltimore bought in January, plus trips to Philly, Pittsburgh, the Martin Guitar Factory in Nazareth, and a Ray Davies Storytellers show in Falls Church VA. 

The downside was that 9-11 occurred and all games were postponed and eventually rescheduled about two weeks later. The whole trip was pushed back.  But the Yankee Stadium game, which was supposed to be his last, ended up being not the last game. That game was called after 15 innings due to rain. Cal went 0-8, I think. 

So I ended up paying $200 for his actual last game, which was the one at Camden Yards. Still a thrill, but ended in a disappointment. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I never understood why Camden Yards was painted with so much dark green back then. You would think they would try to keep it closer to team colors. Dark pine green is as far away from Orioles and baseball colors as it gets. 

I think I read in "Ballpark", the book about the making of OPACY, that color was chosen due to the color of the seats in one of the old Orioles (or Terrapin) Park. 

Personally, I love the choices and it's one of my favorite shades of green. 

Edited by NashLumber
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two years later.

So you think of it as a Cleveland Browns situation?

I consider them separate but if you don't I won't fight about it.

I was about to make that comparison. However, after reading the wiki on the subject again, you are technically correct. 

You can tell my Friday night plans fell through, as I am have semantic debate on late 19th century baseball with a smiling can of corn on the internet. 

• Haha 1