Attitudes Towards Past WS Opponents

Jagwar

I grew up in the 40's and our town had a Class D Dodgers team. So I rooted for the Dodgers until 1954. Still rooted for them in the 50's to beat the Yankee's when World Series time came around. Always hated the Yankee's. In '66 I really thought we had no chance. What a thrill! I hate the Mets - 69 broke my heart.  Reds and Pirates don't bring the same venom. Maybe it's because we were so good in the 70's. Phillies and their fan base are like the Hankies and Sux. Obnoxious!!!  Loved beating them then just act as if they don't exist. Today's Dodgers are far from the Dodgers of my youth. They have become the Yankees West.

I was born in ‘71 so I only remember ’79 and ‘83.  Still can’t hear “We are Family” without thinking of Stargell’s Game 7 home run.  But I don’t have any lingering animosity toward them like I do toward the Steelers and Penguins.  And while the games were competitive in ‘83, the Orioles were clearly superior to the Phillies.  So no strong feelings from me.

Not to nitpick, but the Pirates were up 3-2 in 71. They did come back from being down 2-0, though.

The Pirates are the only team from WS opponents that I despise passionately, along with the Yanks and Red Sox in general.

I used to hate the Mets, but for some strange, unexplainable reason I lost much of that hate after seeing the movie 'Frequency' with Dennis Quaid. Yeah, I know it's just a stupid movie, but for some wierd reason I can't hate them as much anymore.

Watched them all. The only one I picked correctly was the win against the Phillies when Eddie overcame his tendency to struggle in the postseason. The loss to the Mets was the most painful because in a 9 month period my teams lost to the Mets, Jets, and Knicks while I was going to college with a bunch of New Yorkers

17 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

Not to nitpick, but the Pirates were up 3-2 in 71. They did come back from being down 2-0, though.

The Pirates are the only team from WS opponents that I despise passionately, along with the Yanks and Red Sox in general.

I used to hate the Mets, but for some strange, unexplainable reason I lost much of that hate after seeing the movie 'Frequency' with Dennis Quaid. Yeah, I know it's just a stupid movie, but for some wierd reason I can't hate them as much anymore.

I have never watched that movie. Is it good?

4 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I have never watched that movie. Is it good?

Imo it is a very underrated science fiction/thriller movie that is great fun to watch. The acting is strong all around, and I especially liked the character played by Andre Braugher. Just don't get caught up trying to make absolute sense of the 'time travel' scenarios and the movie as I said is fun to watch. It is one of my sister's favorite movies, but she's kinda wierd, though.

19 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Full disclosure and groundwork for this thread. I was born in 1967. That means that I clearly didn't witness the O's beating the Dodgers in '66, I was only 2 when the Mets beat us in '69, 3 when the O's beat the Reds, 4 when the Pirates came back from 3-1 in 1971. I obviously have no memory of those series. But I do remember the crushing collapse against the Pirates in '79, and the O's winning it all against the Phillies in '83.

Here's the thing... my parents were fans through every single one of those seasons, and instilled in me all of the highs and lows of every single World Series win and defeat. 

I look at the Dodgers and think, yeah, you basically print money, but we swept you hosers in '66. I look at the Reds and say "Big Red machine my #%&". The Phillies are pretty much our baseball b*$#%s IMO. And to this day I cannot listen to "We are Family", and I revel in every single defeat of the Pirates.

Question... Are you at all like me in the way that I view all of those opponents?

I do not share your perspective on opponents. And it may be a generational thing? I am in my 40's and do not share the same memories/experiences as you. 

I look at all opponents and think "they are just the next team that is in our way". The laundry (color of the opposition's uniforms) or the city that they come from is irrelevant to me.

This Orioles team is the best that I have ever seen and I believe that we have what it takes to become champions in 2024. And that's pretty much what I focus on.

• Upvote 1

Only alive for 83 and it was such a smooth WS I have no special hate for the Phils. Other than the fact that any sports fans that don't live in Philly or Boston pretty much hate all the teams from those towns because the fan bases and teams are loathsome.

For me the MFY and Red Sux will always be my most hated teams. Don't like any of the teams past or present and their fans are beyond obnoxious. I especially hate the Sux because they played up that "lovable loser" thing in the 00s and then once they won a WS they became as bad or worse as the Evil Empire they hated so much.

Next tier hated teams would be the Royals and Blue Jays. But that was more for particular teams than the organizations or cities. The rosters of the 2010s Jays and Royals were just littered with dbags. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tbone83 said:

I especially hate the Sux because they played up that "lovable loser" thing in the 00s and then once they won a WS they became as bad or worse as the Evil Empire they hated so much.

100% truth.

• Upvote 2

I am not happy to hear We Are Family to this day (I once heard it at Pratt St. Ale House and I was so disappointed). Overall though, I don't care much at all either way. Different teams, different eras, different players. Only name on the front is the same. 

In fact, I have watched parts (or most) of the '69, '71, and '79 World Series on YouTube and while recognizing the best teams lost, I find it nice to see those old Orioles greats play the entire games since I never saw any of them play in person, (though I saw them all in real time when they aired).

I have no antipathy at all towards LA, Pitt, Mets or Phillies.